• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 ET500; Oct 10,11,12; Livingston start

Justin, I haven't looked at the tracks in a long time - years...but the ones we used were "The Stump" near the Sam Rayburn dam (day 1). The other was whatever in Garrison or San Augustine. The routes on day 2 were variable and location about lunch time depended a lot on how many flats etc. had occurred that morning. (drawn from foggiest of a poor memory)

That is a good idea Justin.

Early into the ET750 it dawned on us that we should have made up a special GPS track for the chase vehicle with waypoints designated that would have had it waiting for us at the fuel stops (rather than at intersections) and the lunch stop each day.

This way coolers and gear in the chase vehicle would be available to riders when they are stopping anyway.

Hindsight - 20/20

Thanks for the feedback MotoTex - fuel stops would make more sense than intersections for any support vehicle. Hopefully I can play with it a bit tonight. We're still way out in front of the actual ride, but it doesn't hurt to be ready.

BEEMIN from Dickinson is in. 09 DR650. Did the ET500 a couple years ago. Missed the big muddy last year.

Well, I did some scouting today (and got very wet!). If you recall, there is a section between Carmona and Livingston that is no good. We can go out of our way a little and come back on the same road we took out of Livingston, or we can route our way around. I had a really good route set up that I thought went west enough to get around all the hunting leases.... I was wrong. I did ride enough to put something together though. I just need somebody to verify one stretch of road.

Can anybody in the Livingston area verify that Old Berring Road runs all the way from Old 35 to FM 350? Specifically the red part in the attached image. I wandered a bit, and have verified paths except for this one little stretch. I'm pretty sure it is good, but I'd like it if somebody could verify..

Attachments

• old berring road to be validated.jpg
    old berring road to be validated.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 237
Updated the GPS file on the first post. Still need the small section in my previous post to be verified, but I am 90% certain it goes through.

Also updated the file so that there is not such a big gap between tracks for the North group between Moscow and Carmona.

I MIGHT be able to make it that way this week. It's not too far away from home.

I will be heading up to verify Old Berring Rd. in an hour or so.

Old Berring is a go. Pretty nice little road with two wooden bridges, one old, one new.

East end:

IMG_20140901_134607_674_zpsvcrdbdbk.jpg

New wooden bridge:

IMG_20140901_135036_026_zpsin40og07.jpg

P.S. sorry for the big ugly bike in the way.

Thanks Matt - first and second post updated again, and reworked a bit so that hopefully it is laid out better. I added gas stop mileages to the first post. If you can't make 100 miles, you'll have to make a couple of early gas stops. If you can't make 85 miles, you may have trouble on the second day, although I'm sure there are more gas stations, they just weren't on the gps file.

For those of you without GPS, I think you should be able to view it temporarily here: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20140901165602-84182-map.html

(you can also download the file and go to gpsvisualizer.com to upload it, then you can see it)

Hey Matt, whacha riding these days? Thant is certainly not the Ktoom you had when we rode together!

No it surely is not. I got tired of the needy KTM and got this Super Tenere this spring. It's a great bike, just a little heavy (ha!) and not as off road worthy as the big KTM's. But very easy going and cheap to operate.

End hijack.

Thanks for the good excuse to go for a ride!!

Put me down as probable for the southern group. I'll be riding a xr650r or a wr450
Thanks, Chuck (CeeBee)

Well, count me in as a maybe, I had a ride planned for that weekend and friends bailed. I still have that Friday off of work and a hall pass from the wife, so I'm looking to ride. However I'm coming from Austin so I would need to ride in Thursday night to meet y'all and I would probably have to bail on the last day so I can make it home in time for dinner (as per the agreement with my wife). That being said, if all goes as planned what time do you suspect to arrive in Livingston Sunday?

I may have to split off after lunch and hit the slab back to Austin. I'd be on my KTM 990 for this, sounds like there may be a couple harry parts but it's doable on the big bikes?

That being said, if all goes as planned what time do you suspect to arrive in Livingston Sunday?
The Rusk to Livingston leg is 150 miles. If you made it about being in a hurry you could get there by lunch. I expect to leave Rusk around 8:30 or so? and be in Livingston around 5:00. For me, that leaves plenty of time for 10-15 minute breaks, a decent lunch break, and a gas stop. For some, that will be painfully slow, and for others it will be a challenge to make it by 5. However, the last 20 miles or more can be replaced by about 10-15 miles of 70mph highway if you're in a hurry.

First post updated - NEW GPS FILE with changes on the Bean's to Rusk section (day 2 for the Livinston group). BadTex sent me a section to remove a little pavement. He says he's ridden multiple times recently, so should be good road. Barely any change to overall length.

FYI - I don't plan on any more changes to the GPS tracks at this time, but I guess we won't lock it in until October 1st or so. That will give everybody more than a week to get it loaded up.

First post updated - NEW GPS FILE with changes on the Bean's to Rusk section (day 2 for the Livinston group). BadTex sent me a section to remove a little pavement. He says he's ridden multiple times recently, so should be good road. Barely any change to overall length.

I will steal that track section and add it to the archive. hehe

Back