• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photo Assignment #188 - "Action Figures in Action" (ENTRY) Due 6-26-17

_72_6502-XL.jpg

This was supposed to be a fun and whimsical assignment. And although there were only two entries, both exceeded my expectations. Certainly both entries are creative works with a sense of humor, and the shooters show their adventure in trying something like this.

Kyle-
LOVE the concept. LOVE the humor. LOVE the lighting. LOVE the framing. LOVE the DOF chosen. LOVE the action.

Rusty-
LOVE the concept. LOVE the humor. LOVE the lighting. LOVE the framing. LOVE the DOF chosen. LOVE the action.

So what's the difference?
This one boils down to little details and the execution, primarily the smudge prints on the back screen and the white dust spots on the eye cup for Kyle. Had they not been there, this would have been our first tie. Yes - IMO they were both equal in all respects - except one.

So I have to go with "I AM GROOT" on this one.

Thanks to both of you for playing this round! Can't wait to see what Rusty has in store next for us.... :photo:

Did any of y'all know that most stores don't carry any sort of army dudes or GI Joe's anymore? I went shopping for some and all I could find were crappy little animated movie figures that hardly lived up to the term "action" figure.

I'm kind of bummed too, I had a shot I wanted to pull off with some soldiers on my reloading press, making ammo. Ah well, next time!

Trying to find little green army men is proving difficult as well. I feel your pain.

Look at the smudge prints closely. I don't think they are random, Luke's shadow?
I liked both entries, good jaba.

Yup, it's a CF card. Lots of cameras still use them. I believe they read/write faster than SD cards. They are also highly valued by Storm Troopers.

That was a fun assignment. First attempt attempt at a "product" type image. Funny thing is I saw Rusty in Saturday and I think at that point we both had something in mind that involved levitation with fishing line that would be cloned out in PhotoShop. Funny how plans change.

Thanks for the critique Scott, you are spot on. I was laughing while reading it since I noticed the same smudges and the eyecup while I was editing the next morning and thought that could be better.

A good lesson re-learned; as they say "They Devil is in the details"

Congrats to Rusty on a great creative shot. What do you have up your sleeve for the next one?

On Saturday I had no action figures and was still brainstorming. Plus I thought I still had a week to go. On Sunday I found out I only had a day left so I went shopping. Spent 20 minutes in the action figure isle counting $ on my fingers and toes. Decided an epic battle was out (both posed with action figures and a real one with my wife). So I bought the Groot and a Rocket Raccoon with a Baby Groot. I figured between then I could get a shot. We have morning glory vines in the back. Well, we used to. I cleared the grass out of them so it was just the vines. Wrapped the Groot with some like maybe he was making them grow and took some test shots. When I checked them out I realized I had one that worked, but planned on trying again on Monday. Never did.

As far as post processing. Not a lot. Standard exposure and sharping stuff. Very slight green boost. An exposure gradient from upper right down towards the head so that background was darker. That's about it. Oh, and I cloned out some dirt/dust on Groot.

I've got one idea, but I'm going to check and see if we've already done it. I'm pretty sure we've done fireworks and it was probably me that came up with it. Too bad, since the Fourth is coming up.

Back