• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DaBurro...Because I Can't Afford a Moto-Mule..

I like how that looks, but it is almost as long as the bike towing it. I wish there was a "small" version of the moto mule. Probably about the same cost as rear panniers and racks depending on what you get.

my6, did you ever happen to find out if you had to tag the moto mule? I just recenlty ( past month) heard about the moto mule and I like the idea.

Well, my wife went to the local tax office where you get your tags with pictures of my bike with the trailer and they said NO tag is needed. But I do wonder how it's gonna go over with a Popo when I do eventually get pulled over somewhere. I can say that I have been passed by several DPS troopers and all I got from them was a friendly wave. We pays our money and we takes our chances.. Oh, I did extend the length on mine a bit so I could fit a longer box on it in hopes of hauling as much but keeping the center of gravity low.

Last edited:
Well, my wife went to the local tax office where you get your tags with pictures of my bike with the trailer and they said NO tag is needed. But I do wonder how it's gonna go over with a Popo when I do eventually get pulled over somewhere. I can say that I have been passed by several DPS troopers and all I got from them was a friendly wave. We pays our money and we takes our chances.. Oh, I did extend the length on mine a bit so I could fit a longer box on it in hopes of hauling as much but keeping the center of gravity low.
there is something in Texas about being "coupled" or "bolted" as in a sidecar not needing a registration. good luck.

Wasn't aware of that. I'm going to find that, print it out and keep it with me for when "that" day comes. ;-)

I really haven't had a lot of weight in it yet to really say. If it doesn't rain too much this weekend I may fill the rp's up with water, load up the box with what I expect I'll take on a ride of significance and take it for a test run. From what I've read from others a 100lbs is not unheard of with these things. My plan for the the MM is to only carry lite camping gear, 2gl fuel+2gl water and a set of knobbed up wheels to be mounted on top of the box for when I get to where I'm going. Keep the weight low and it should be no problem.

Does this require a tail light or flag?

Update: I had the opportunity to speak with a DPS SGT/Trooper last night about my MotoMule. I showed him pictures of my setup and told him our experience at the tax office and he said "we go by what the tax/registration people say". :clap:He advised me to go back to the them and get it in writing:deal: and to keep it on me for when as he put it "an over zealous" PoPo pulls me over in a small town. He also advised me to not argue the merits of my paperwork with the officer on the side of the road, just take it to court with me when I go. :rider:

Back