• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from D'Hanis

Hwy90Rider

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Hi. My name is Joe. I have been out of riding for about 13 years and suddenly got the bug again. I guess I was out for so long because I started a family.

Well, things are starting to settle down a little and I think it's time to find another ride.

This site and others will hopefully help me find the bike to fit my needs.

Welcome to the site :wave:

What kind of bike are you looking for? Lessee... 60 miles West of San Antonio, maybe a dualsport :trust:

Tourmeister said:
Welcome to the site :wave:

What kind of bike are you looking for? Lessee... 60 miles West of San Antonio, maybe a dualsport :trust:

60 miles west of San Antonio..................100% dirt? :mrgreen:

Joe, welcome to the site :rider:

Started off looking at the Yamaha Fz's. Now after much study leaning toward the "dualsport" like V-Strom. I have plenty of county paved and not so paved roads I'd like to explore around my house and I have to commute 60 miles one way to work on HWY90.

So.....probably something comfy that can get off the road just a little. The more I look at the strom the more I like it.

Probably the 650. Don't have any reason to buy the 1000, unless you guys know something I don't.

I'm 5'10 180-- Don't plan on having passengers.

Hwy90Rider said:
Probably the 650. Don't have any reason to buy the 1000, unless you guys know something I don't.
A couple of our folks here have experienced both models. The good Rev actually purchased both. I believe the tip goes to the 650 for best overall. That said, I know several happy 1000 riders. I'd venture that the 650 would best fit you.

Have you visited these 2 'Strom forums?
Stromtroopers
VSRI

Hey how ya doing, I live down in Warhorse Country. So we could definitely, meet in the middle and head out. I am a little slow if I take my Ural, and I like to stop and eat. I do love to explore dirt roads and wander thought.

Welcome to the site.

I have been to your home town a few times. I try to go dove hunting down there once a year or so. Last time, we ate at a cafe there with a one man band playing. He was pretty good. Played classic country.

What do you do for a living down there?

Welcome! I am a new member here, too. This is a great site!

I find myself out your way quite often. My in-laws live in Yancey (sp?), about 15 miles from you. Plan on being out there this afternoon.

Again, welcome to the site!

Hey Joe, my grandmother has relatives from D'Hanis and Hondo. Used to have family reunions over in those parts. Good luck on finding a bike that fits your needs.

Ed.

So what are you getting to replace the XR?

maybe a KLR- my buddy has one I can ride for a day or to to decide. I want to get it on a long highway ride and see if it wears me out. The XR wore me out.

Maybe a Vstrom- Since I am more comfy riding in traffic now, I am getting the itch to ride 60 miles to work.....I think this would be a good choice for minor gravel roads and 60 mile one way commutes

I'm still in love with the FZ1 and FZ6 Yamahas although the VSTROM is probably more practical.

I'm going to spend the next month or so riding as many different bikes as I can so next time I buy I'll for sure know I'll be happy. I loved the XR for around the house and but trying to ride past 30 miles was tougher at 70mph.

Thanks

Joe

Welcome!

My advice: get something you can be passionate about. If the dirt isn't calling you right now very loudly and the FZ6/1 just gets your heart fluttering, then get one. I am the Practical King, but since you'll be with this bike for a while, get something you can enjoy in 3 years as much as you will now. All of the bikes mentioned here are great...

:tab Definitely consider the stroms. They are primarily street bikes but if you get the hankering, they can do some basic offroad stuff. I think you can even get knobbies in their sizes. I know you can for the 1K. Anyone know if the 650 and 1K have the same size tires?

Tourmeister said:
Anyone know if the 650 and 1K have the same size tires?
from the DL1000 manual:
front: 110/80 R19
rear: 150/70 R17

from the DL650 manual:
front: 110/80 R19
rear: 150/70 R17

Looks the same to me. :mrgreen:

Welcome, Brackettville here and a V-Strom 1K rider as well. I love her.

Back