• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Rider in Austin

Reaction score
I just signed on to the board and wanted to say hello. I've had my KLR about 5 weeks, and have about 1500 miles on it so far. I guess I don't like to ride very much. Being a new rider, I'm trying to get as much experience as possible. I live in NW Austin. Besides riding, I like to do just about anything outdoors, especially fly fishing, skiing, kayaking and camping. I've been in TX jsut over 2 years. Before that I lived in Denver for 10 yrs, and grew up in KS.

:tab Welcome to the site! I cannot believe how many KLR riders have popped up here in the last few months, even before I bought mine! I'll have to google KLR and see if TWT pops up anywhere near the top of the list.

:tab Lots of folks in your area Fly Fisher. Tomorrow is the big Pie Run up to Hico. Get all the gory details in the TWT Sponsored Events section. It is a great way to meet a lot of folks and eat soem good food at the same time ;-)

Welcome Fly Fisher!

Sounds like you like to camp. Check out the events section. We have a campout in March, April and May.

Rod

Welcome aboard. You sound like your in good company. Seems there is a pretty large group of KLR/ds riders in the Austin area. Watch for threads from this bunch.

Several of us in Austin get together every other Tuesday in the north central and northwest part of town. Watch for threads on Austin Bike Night. Hope you can make it out.

Thanks for dropping in.
David

Thanks for all the welcomes. Yes, I have one of the fast red ones. :pirate: I'm definitely in for some group rides and camping trips. That sounds like a blast to me and is a big reason why I chose the KLR. I've fished the Guad, but not the Blanco yet. I know I'm missing out. I want to hit the San Marcos too. I usually fish the San Gabriel and the Llano. Can someone help me with posting pictures? I've gone through the directions and am still having problems. All I can get is the little red X in the box. :doh: I've posted pictures to froums amny times, there's just something I'm missing here.

Owen

Fly Fisher said:
Can someone help me with posting pictures? I've gone through the directions and am still having problems. All I can get is the little red X in the box. :doh: I've posted pictures to froums amny times, there's just something I'm missing here.
Hmmm... if you've followed the directions I'm not sure what the issue would be. Where are the images currently hosted? Give me a link to one of them.

Denver huh? Then maybe your a Bronco's fan then :clap:
Where abouts in NW Austin? I am in Leander ( kinda like NW Austin only ...not) and am a new rider myself.
Once this weather decides to be good :sun: , we can set out for a ride... Glad to have you here....

Texas T,

I'll try using a different hosting service for my pics. That's a good idea.

KOR- I wouldn't exactly say I'm a Broncos fan. I grew up near KC, so I'm a Chiefs guy. My wife is a native Colorado girl, and she loves the Broncos, so we have a good rivalry game at least twice a year. I always say I have two favorite teams: the KC Chiefs and whoever is playing the :haha: Broncos. Don't tell my wife, but I kind of got to liking the Broncos. I just have not admitted it to her yet.

I live right by the intersection of Anderson Mill and 620. The weather was great yesterday. I went for a ride up your way. Up to Liberty Hill via back roads. There is some fun stuff up there.

Fly Fisher said:
Up to Liberty Hill via back roads. There is some fun stuff up there.

Very nice riding west and northwest of Liberty Hill/Bertram area. One of my favorite areas for bicycling as well. This is normally where I head for quick short runs since I'm already out northwest of Austin.

Although, some of my last rides on my Tiger were out east around Lexington. Some of those county roads are little more than ruts through pastures. Would have spent more time exploring if I'd known I was about to switch motorcycles.

Welcome. I'm new to this forum too. I live NE of houston now, but I grew up in Austin and that where I learned to ride. If you love to camp one of my favorite camping spots is just off 71 going west. It's called Krausey Springs, and it's owned by a very nice couple. Because its not owned by the state or core of ingineers they don,t advertise so you have to ride out there and ask the locals, that how my hubby and I found it. The KLR is probably a bike to ride out there on because the road leading to it is about 1 mile of rocky limestone and roots, followed by another mile of kinda sandy gravel. It's well worth the ride though. Has beautiful huge oaks, a spring fed pool, and fishing. I also like the camping because it is the primative kind.(not campsites in a row, but the pick a spot and pitch your tent type with plenty of fire wood to roast whatever) Last time we were there there were astronomists doing a study camping there and let us check out thier telescopes, it was pretty cool no real city lights to worry about. Anyway enjoy those hill country roads for me I certainly miss them!

Nanz,

Thanks for the advice. About where on 71 is it? It sounds like a great place. Is it on the Pedernales? I'm getting ready to go camping on the 17th, and was looking for a place. You have perfect timing. :mrgreen:

Owen

I am so sorry that I have not replied to your post before now, I have been very, very busy and have not had a chance to even check my e-mail until today. You have probably already gone camping so I know this is a little late. To be honest I don,t know exactly where on 71 that the camp ground is we found it by just riding around. There is a small store near the road that leads to the camp ground(kinda in the middle of nowhere) I don't even know the name of the store but it also doubles as a post office. I do know that it is somewhere around Spicewood but it could be maybe closer to Marble Falls. The store is located on your right if you are trveling north on 71 coming from 620. I hope this will at least help you when looking to your next camping trip, Hope your weekend was fun!

Nanz:sun:

I heard good things about Krause Springs years ago, but have never been. This thread piqued my curiosity, so I did a little searching and found this;

Krause Springs, 34 miles west of Austin in Spicewood, is possibly the most beautiful swimming hole in the state. Situated on a bluff overlooking Cypress Creek, Krause Springs is actually two swimming holes in one. As the rolling ranch land begins its rapid descent to the creek and Lake Travis, the Krause home sits at a high point with the parking lot. At the next level below the house is the spring-fed swimming pool and below that is the creek, lined with towering cypress trees and a waterfall coming over a cliff covered with ferns.

Elton and Jane Krause bought the property in the 1950s from an aunt. Every year, Elton, his sons, and hired help find more improvements to add to the privately owned park. They did all of the landscaping that makes the area look like a tropical oasis and built all of the rock picnic benches. They used to have wooden picnic tables, but after every weekend the tables would be clustered together and they would have to spread them all out again. Elton retired to operate the park full-time in 1994.

The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was probably used by Native Americans for centuries before white settlers arrived.

There are 32 springs throughout the campground, which made it perfect for the original Native American residents and now benefits latter-day campers and swimmers. Two springs feed the 70' by 20' swimming pool at a rate of 70 gallons a minute at a temperature of about 70 degrees. The springs have never slowed down, even during severe drought.

Over the years, the Krauses have added 24 sites with hookups for recreational vehicles. The tent camping area is a meadow above the creek with lots of shade trees. Boaters often put in at the boat ramp at the LCRA park at the end of Spur 191 and ride around to the campground. Hikers are welcome to explore the trails on the property, but are reminded to respect fence lines.

Krause Springs is west of Austin off of TX 71 and Spur 191 into Spicewood. Take Texas Highway 71 west from Austin, cross the Pedernales River, drive 7 miles, turn right on Spur 191 at the Exxon Station, right on County Road 404 and look for a sign on the left directing you to this private park.

The campground is open year-round and during the summer months for swimming, 9am-dusk.

Admission is $2 for children up to 11 years old and $2.50 for everyone else Monday through Thursday; the price goes up by 50cents Friday through Sunday and holidays. Camping is $3 for children and $6 for adults with an additional $3 charge for RVs. Pets are not allowed. For more information or to make camping reservations, call the Krauses at 830/693-4181.

Hope that helps. I intend to check it out this summer.

Thanks Nanz. No apologies necessary. Big Bandit, nice write up! I'll be checking the place out soon. Our trip on the 17th was with our churches youth group. The youth pastor cancelled because of the rain. We are going to reschedule. We'll definitely check this place out.

:mrgreen:

Owen

Just go out 71 to Spicewood, turn right at the store, go about half a mile or so, you'll see the sign on the right.

There's a BBQ place just off 71 on the road to the Springs that is an exact clone of Cooper's in Llano. I ate there once, no differink in the taste. If you like Cooper's, it's closer, and not as crowded.

A beautiful ride is to go left instead of right at the entranct to Krause Springs and follow your nose on county roads to 281, just south of Marble Falls. Not very far, in a good year, the bluebonnets in the area are amazing...this ain't a good year.

Back