TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 AM   #41
Goyko

Re: DFW TARA BS Thread

Anybody from DFW willing to ride this?
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...=112821&page=4
Goyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #42
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyko View Post
Anybody from DFW willing to ride this?
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...=112821&page=4
You're a stud! Coming up from Houston on Thursday, changing tires, packing, turning right around and riding 300+ miles to Bandera to do a 400 mile dirt ride and then another 300 miles home.

All is a weekend!

H*LL NO I'm not in!

Good luck tho. The ride looks great down there.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere
copb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #43
Goyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
You're a stud! Coming up from Houston on Thursday, changing tires, packing, turning right around and riding 300+ miles to Bandera to do a 400 mile dirt ride and then another 300 miles home.

All is a weekend!

H*LL NO I'm not in!

Good luck tho. The ride looks great down there.
Well, cause people from DFW area are lazy, and there are almost no rides what so ever, I have to go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio area ever now and then, in order to get some quality riding and not to be by myself.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #44
Simmons1

Quote:
Well, cause people from DFW area are lazy, and there are almost no rides what so ever, I have to go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio area ever now and then, in order to get some quality riding and not to be by myself.
Set up and post your own rides and invite people to join you.

You can't always rely on someone else to do the route planning and organizing work for you.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Arfrica Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #45
maximus_flavius

Did you get the Beemer fixed, Goyko?
maximus_flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #46
Goyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons1 View Post
Set up and post your own rides and invite people to join you.

You can't always rely on someone else to do the route planning and organizing work for you.
If I ever go back to Serbia, will do for sure. I actually organized a lot of races and events over there.
Problem is I've been in the states just 3 years now. And 2 years in DFW. So I'm not at all familiar with the area, at least not enough to organize something. I'm still trying to figure out how things work out around here. At my home country, you just go to the wilderness and ride wherever you want. Here you can't. Everything is private property, national parks, forbidden to ride in, needs special permits.... for a person who never encountered that, its little hard to learn everything and figure out in a short period of time. Especially with a busy work schedule.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #47
Goyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius View Post
Did you get the Beemer fixed, Goyko?
Yes sir I did. Very nice guy that I met on advrider from Houston, gave me used engine free of charge. The guys from the dealship swapped the flywheel from mine and couple other things, and mounted it. It runs smooth now, and I'm left with almost whole engine of spare pars.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #48
aggie81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
Well, I wasn't able to follow the route I had in mind. A good many of the FS roads were closed. Other than that, the roads were in good condition with a few rutted places that are easy to avoid. Good elevation changes and some nice curve. But I don't think that there are enough FS roads to make it into a thing. Maybe if we were able to connect it to another dirt road system. For me its less than a hour away and I may hit it if I am just tooling around in that area.
I spent a lot of time riding around the LBJ Grasslands. One thing I found was the the official maps are very inaccurate. Imagine that. Google Earth is a much better tool. I would remind those new to the area that there really aren't any trails accessible to motorcycles, just gravel roads. Off-roading is not allowed unless you're on a horse.

Another great lunch stop (in addition to Greenwood Grocery) is Leeper Creek Barbecue. It is located at the intersection of 2175 and 287 just northwest of Decatur, on the east side of 287.
aggie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #49
copb8
Forum Supporter

When I plan rides I have no idea either about where to go and what you're allowed to or not allowed to ride on. I start with google maps and pick a destination. I then drag to route to hit as many back roads and dirt roads as possible. All the while I'm taking the little dude and putting him at intersections to see if there's a gate or private property sign there. I drill down from satellite view to see how the roads look and whether they're interesting. From this view you often spot gates as well.

Once I have it in Google I get onto Garmin Basecamp and force it to mimic the Google route by placing waypoints that'll force it to route the same. Basecamp is also good because it indicates paved and unpaved roads differently so sometimes I make adjustments there. Download it to the GPS and I'm off. Still no guarantees the route will work so ever so often what looked like a road is private and you have work around it.

Overall its a real **** but once you're out there and enjoying the ride it becomes worth it. Also, if your looking for trail riding this method isn't much help and you'll have to search online for tracks other riders have posted over time.

BTW Goyko, I'm glad to hear your bike is back to working and, once again, the generosity of the online communities could help you out.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere
Old 02-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #50
Simmons1

Some of you guys may be interested in this:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113230

I would be all over this, but I have to go into work tomorrow.

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Arfrica Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500

Last edited by Simmons1; 02-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #51
copb8
Forum Supporter

I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. Need to check on my boat and put miles on the 690. I've mapped a route from Highland Village to Texoma incorporating mostly back roads and as many unpaved sections as makes sense. I plan on leaving around 9 to 9:30am.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet along the way.

Not sure when i'll return and whether it'll be backroads or a straight shot down 289.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home to Marina Feb 18.jpg (54.8 KB, 16 views)

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere
Old 02-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #52
Jampad

Copb8, which day you doing this? I would like to meet up with you if I can...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 KLR650
Jampad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #53
Jampad

Really want to see that 690... I sure am thinking about that bike being my next bike...

2014 KLR650
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #54
Jampad

Just looked at you map a little better I just rode the OAT section from Carpenters Bluff Bridge to the Denison Dam today! Then made my way back to Pottsboro possibly the same route you took also...

2014 KLR650
Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #55
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jampad View Post
Just looked at you map a little better I just rode the OAT section from Carpenters Bluff Bridge to the Denison Dam today! Then made my way back to Pottsboro possibly the same route you took also...

I did the ride today and we probably just missed each other. From the lake I just heads-down rode home trying to beat nightfall with my tinted visor. Just got here.

Bummer we missed each other. I decided to ride and planned the route at 6 this morning. Just a spur of the moment kind a thing. Was a great ride.

Love the 690 so far.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere
Old 02-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #56
Goyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by copb8 View Post
I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. Need to check on my boat and put miles on the 690. I've mapped a route from Highland Village to Texoma incorporating mostly back roads and as many unpaved sections as makes sense. I plan on leaving around 9 to 9:30am.

Let me know if anyone wants to meet along the way.

Not sure when i'll return and whether it'll be backroads or a straight shot down 289.

You got a gps track for this?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #57
copb8
Forum Supporter

Quote:
You got a gps track for this?
Let's see if this works. Try this link

Highland Village to Texoma Ride

I did run into a closed bridge that had permanent barricades in place. I was able to go around them and cross the bridge but had to squeeze between the barricade and a deep hole on one side. With my narrow bike it was still very tight and a difficult turn to get back on the road because of soft ground. If you're on a bigger bike or have bags I'm not sure you could make it. I'll try and find the spot on my map but I can tell you it was west of Celina.

The route had some unpaved roads but not as many as I'd hoped. That said the paved portions were very nice, especially all the roads east of I-75. For Frisco/Plano folks it'd be a nice day ride.

For some reason I'm being denied uploading pics. I'll post a few when I get that resolved.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere

Last edited by copb8; 02-19-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:52 AM   #58
copb8
Forum Supporter

Just looked at my tracks and realized the closed bridge was on Shearer road and was off my intended route. I had detoured down a road that looked interesting. So the track posted will work for anybody.

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
13 Super Tenere