• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M1030M1 (Marine Corps KLR 650)

I don't mean this in a way that's derogatory toward the bike at all (I've always wanted one and am still convinced I'll own one at some point), but I can't imagine paying more than around $3000 for any KLR.

For what they are, the fact that the design is so old, and the number of good used examples that are out there I would never buy a new one. I also don't see there being any collector value to them, regardless of configuration. Of course, I can't see myself ever buying a "collector" bike anyway.

That's me, though. I say do whatever makes you happy. None of us are into riding as an investment opportunity, and I don't think any of us are making a profession out of it. It's a hobby, and dollars that allow you to have fun are dollars well spent.

$20K for a KLR. SMH. I thought only the government (who has unlimited funds) would do that.

As far as them being a great off-road bike, well, nobody is racing them and you don't see anyone exploring extreme places with them, so there are probably better motorcycle choices for that kind of money.

I almost violated the "no foul language" rule when I read the price for a used (and maybe abused) military surplus KLR. :eek2:

I don't mean this in a way that's derogatory toward the bike at all (I've always wanted one and am still convinced I'll own one at some point), but I can't imagine paying more than around $3000 for any KLR.

For what they are, the fact that the design is so old, and the number of good used examples that are out there I would never buy a new one. I also don't see there being any collector value to them, regardless of configuration. Of course, I can't see myself ever buying a "collector" bike anyway.

That's me, though. I say do whatever makes you happy. None of us are into riding as an investment opportunity, and I don't think any of us are making a profession out of it. It's a hobby, and dollars that allow you to have fun are dollars well spent.

Oh no, I'm triggered now. :angryfire

Haha, $3,000 is probably pretty reasonable deal depending on age and condition.

I had a KLR. It was my first motorcycle (I can say that and it seems like I've been riding forever). They're great bikes if your ADV touring in under-developed countries with semi graded roads and low speed limits. The bike is largely dependable and the few flaws it has are well known and the solutions are numerous. It can be repaired with a rock and screwdriver by any tractor mechanic in any backwater village. And if you drop it down a 500' canyon or it gets stolen, you're only out $3k.

This is the best part of this. Because, well, prior to that it was maintained by....Marines. :giveup: :rofl:

I served 10 years in the Corps and I drove both M151 Jeeps and HMMWV's in the Infantry. I can guarantee you that all of my vehicles were meticulously maintained.

And those KLRs were the Primadonnas of Motor T. They were "elite" and taken care of as such.

****, they wouldn't even let me sit on one!

Just my 2 cents,

SFH

Buddy of mine scored one of these in PDO auction. I can say I have ridden it....I have ridden mopeds with more gittyup and go...now it did take forever to run out of fuel. Also do not pull out on someone with this cause the 0-60 is almost negative numbers:eek: He gave like $2500 but sold it for $12,000:chug:

All I want to know is if you can roll coal on one of those things.

If there's no turbo on a diesel then you can measure the 0-60 time on a sundial. Not safe for street riding.

If there's no turbo on a diesel then you can measure the 0-60 time on a sundial. Not safe for street riding.

And the real bummer is that if some folks have already had head gasket problems, it isn't like you can plop a turbo on there since it is already pretty stressed.

That would be cool to send a coal cloud on the vehicle doggin your rear.
If I wanted a military bike I would get these, reliable, easy to work on fuel injected warranty and easy on the pocket book can get with side car if wanted. used by India and Great Britain in military past.

Attachments

• desert storm.jpg
    desert storm.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 150
  • military gree.jpg
    military gree.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
A KLR is one thing but one with the mentality of a Jarhead gives me pause. Honest. Sorry, just couldn't hold it back any longer.

I have a friend in DFW that bought a crapped out KLR for cheap and converted it to diesel. It wasn’t much of a runner but it did run and got good fuel mileage. However about three months after he was finished with it he sold it. It was primarily a project to see if he could do it, he also was cooking up bio-diesel for it too. If you really want one I can ask him to email me the details on it if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been exposed to them. Not for any real length of time but I got to mess around with them a little in the Camp Johnson motorpool (Jacksonville, NC).

I had a 2007 KLR I did a military paint job on and it looked almost the same sav ethe frame and wheels being painted. You can find military surplus M1030B1s (regular gas KLR version) on ebay for around 3 grand last time I looked. And parts will be much easier to find if you just want to have a military bike.

The diesel M1 is neat but IMO doesn't really bring anything to the table that a B1 doesn't except it runs on the same fuel all over military vehicles do.

I have a friend who recently bought one for about $3000. It was a gas model, not diesel. and I don't like it. not even a little. It has the cool big green tank, but has NO KEY, and it was detuned by the military.
Its basically a big green sup-par KLR. The are nothing even close to being "almost like new" Low miles on a 20 year old bike is still an old bike -- with cracking rubber and failing gaskets, etc.

In my humble opinion. NOT EVEN ALMOST WORTH IT. Plus, they remain available out there cheap.

Back