• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9/6/14 - Cheeseburger Loop - North Houston/Montgomery

Hail

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Cheesburger Loop Ride on Saturday, 9/6/2014
Meet at the Mc Donalds @ 105 & 149 @ 7:30 AM
Kick Stands Up @ 8:00 AM

The Cheesburger loop is a 169 mile loop that is 60 - 70% gravel and dirt through Sam Houston National Forest, Montgomery, Walker & Grimes Counties. The route takes 5 - 6 hours depending on skill level of the group and how long our lunch break is. This route is appropriate for bikes big and small and newb to experienced riders.

cheeseburger1_1.jpg

We will have lunch a little after the half way point at Yankee's Tavern. Usually around 11:30. We will have a stop before then if snacks and water are needed.

You need about 65 mile range on your bike between stops for gas. I will bring 2 gallons of gas just in case. I do have alternate routes if we have bikes with shorter range.

Please wear appropriate gear for my rides:
  • Helmet,
  • gloves,
  • jacket,
  • knee pads,
  • and boots.

I need someone to volunteer to sweep the group that can load the attached GPX file. Current GPX can be found at the link below:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1283973&postcount=2

P.M. me your contac/ICE info if you want to attend.

1.) Hail
2.)

Last edited:
BTW - this will be a tame ride. No one will be left behind and all the roads we are taking are legitmate roads, not trails. In other words, this IS newb friendly but I think everyone will have a good time.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
Brad, I am sorry I missed you at the Montgomery Bike Night Thursday, but I certainly understand why you couldn't make it from Tomball, after work. A few of us are talking about doing this ride this week (we're retired :-)), during the week. I wanted to thank you for posting the tracks. We might try to convert these to routes. If we can accomplish this, would you like the routes?

The dates you selected for your ride, won't work for a couple of us as we will be in Colorado.

Brad, I am sorry I missed you at the Montgomery Bike Night Thursday, but I certainly understand why you couldn't make it from Tomball, after work. A few of us are talking about doing this ride this week (we're retired :-)), during the week. I wanted to thank you for posting the tracks. We might try to convert these to routes. If we can accomplish this, would you like the routes?

The dates you selected for your ride, won't work for a couple of us as we will be in Colorado.

No worries at all. I hope you guys enjoy it. I just prefer tracks as routes have e tendency to re-route when roads don't quite connect.

Joe if you convert this to something other than a php file (tracks or route) I would like to try to download it.

1.) Hail
2.) GRSA (Maybe)
3.) El Pescador
4.)

Last edited:
Brad, thanks so much for posting the .gpx file with the tracks. Chuck and I rode the route today and had a blast ... well discounting running out of gas on I-45 coming home. Overall, it took us about 4 1/2 hours to ride, including a 15 to 20 minute stop for a snack in Carlos. We rode two 2011 KTM 990 Adventures. There wasn't very much sand and the roads were well maintained. The forest roads were the least maintained and most susceptible to having a few uneven, sandy surfaces.

We did it in the reverse direction, leaving Montgomery and going to Anderson first. Also, we did not do the last part on 1375 and down 149 back to Montgomery as we have been there, done that many times and needed to get back home.

We did find one very minor road that was not available marked on your tracks, it is one right before you get to Anderson, it is now called something like the Carnan Ranch Road with a gate. It looked private. No big deal, we just continued on to the major road that went through.

CheeseBurgerLoopAdjust.jpg

Jim, attached are the tracks we road in .gdb (Garmin) format. Pay no attention to the speed reflected in points 552-555, I am sure they are an anomaly of the program :trust:. Actually (and may be fortunately) it was slightly under reported :scratch:. Let me know if those work for you. If not I can always bring the routes we rode on a memory stick to the next bike night that we both make..

Attachments

• Cheeseburger Loop Tracks as ridden 8_27_2014.gdb
    41.9 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Joe, would this have been doable on the VStrom with street tires?

Joe, would this have been doable on the VStrom with street tires?

Easily ... in fact after I watched you ride the Salem Church Road on Howard's 1000, I don't think you would even break a sweat. These roads are nothing like that, they are heavily traveled and well maintained, very little sand, gravel or mud. Honestly, Chuck and I talked about it, we could have done this on the Goldwings.

Thanks for the track update. I will get that updated. I would prefer updates go to the GPS files post rather than this specific ride announcement. ;)

This is not a technically challenging ride. It is a great introduction to dual sporting and a good opportunity to get used to your ride moving around beneath you. ...and it will. There is some nice scenery through the forest too!

Thanks for the track update. I will get that updated. I would prefer updates go to the GPS files post rather than this specific ride announcement. ;)

This is not a technically challenging ride. It is a great introduction to dual sporting and a good opportunity to get used to your ride moving around beneath you. ...and it will. There is some nice scenery through the forest too!

Absolutely, right! Ummmm ... where is the GPS files post????

Did not intend to demean the ride, it was a blast. There is something in it for everyone, even the most experienced. Also good is the proximity to Houston. Leave from home, ride the ride, back at home before dinner ... perfect.

Rob (Rydah) is one of the more talented off road riders I have ridden with, but he goes fast. Usually rides an XR650 on serious dirt but also has a Vstrom. I think he was asking about whether he should ride his Honda or his Suzuki if he were to ride? So for perspective, I could have ridden my Goldwing, but I seriously doubt that it would have been any fun. I could have also ridden my 500 Exc but it would have been teeth gritting on the commute to and from Montgomery.

Absolutely, right! Ummmm ... where is the GPS files post????

Sorry! Under Rides and Events => Trip Planning => GPS files.

Not many people using it but I sure hope they do. Makes it easier than digging through threads for them.

1.) Hail
2.) GRSA (Maybe)
3.) El Pescador
4.)

Last edited:
Couldnt find my GPS am still searching i hate it when this happens :doh:

Would the 1k V w/ 40/60 tyres make this run rain or shine ?

sounds like some relaxing fun for sure !

Couldnt find my GPS am still searching i hate it when this happens :doh:

Would the 1k V w/ 40/60 tyres make this run rain or shine ?

sounds like some relaxing fun for sure !

Shine, the "V" is no problem but can't answer about rain. You're in Conroe, why wouldn't you use your 500? Quite a bit of dirt on this ride, Hail is close in his estimate of 70% dirt / 30% pavement mix. Don't know what that dirt looks like when it rains.

whats the pace of the ride. i have a wee but run 90% street tires on it. I tried it off road but just didnt like it. was to heavy and suppension was to soft.

Shine, the "V" is no problem but can't answer about rain. You're in Conroe, why wouldn't you use your 500? Quite a bit of dirt on this ride, Hail is close in his estimate of 70% dirt / 30% pavement mix. Don't know what that dirt looks like when it rains.

YES had no idea sounds great
kaboom it is then. lots funnier with others of the like :deal:
great minds think alike :lol2:
w/ no GPS i havent found it yet!

Last edited:
1.) Hail
2.) GRSA (Maybe)
3.) El Pescador
4.) Fly
5.)

whats the pace of the ride. i have a wee but run 90% street tires on it. I tried it off road but just didnt like it. was to heavy and suppension was to soft.

I do 10 - 15 over on pavement typically. Most of the gravel roads I will be doing 35 - 55. I did the Roll the Bones Rally last year on 90% pavement tire. ;) You would be fine on the Wee.

We stop at every tune so no one will be left behind and no need for everyone to have GPS. We can also cut a few sections of the route if we look like we will be running slow. I am perfectly fine with whatever the pace ends up being.

I'm a possible and have a GPS. Also know many of the roads. Just hope I can keep up with the pace.

1.) Hail
2.) GRSA (Maybe)
3.) El Pescador
4.) Fly
5.) Badabing70
6.) Ouroboros (Maybe)
7.) Pyrogenic
8.)

Last edited:
Back