• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #138: Boots (ENTRY)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Use this thread to post your entry for #138 - Boots

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

This assignment will close at MIDNIGHT/2400, September 8, 2014

Specifics:
1) Camera phone, point & shoot, DSLR, or even film; all shooters are welcome and encouraged to participate!
2) Post processing is allowed for this assignment.
3) All forum posting rules apply regarding suitability of an image to post.
4) Your photograph for the entry has to have been taken between now and midnight/2400, Monday, September 8, 2014.

Last edited:
DSC_0006.jpg

yowsa

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 195
OK, first off - thanks to you all for submitting an entry. I would have thought more would play this time, but it's always something that gets in the way.

As these are assignments to learn from someone else looking at them and getting their perspective so we all might learn something, please don't get bent or pat yourself too much from my observations. They are just that, my observations.

Gary,
I love the concept where you were going with this. The content is good, great colors, great props/actors, and the lighting really nice and appropriate. I will admit my eye does in fact go to the brightest part of the image which happens to be the eggs. Yet the boots are almost secondary to the eggs and everything else going on. I have to ask.... did they lay them there or were they staged? :ponder: A solid shot indeed.

Ed,
Nothing like a worn pair of work boots, and these certainly look 'worked'. I like the non-traditional 1/3 rule with the boots dead center. I like the hard stone background/foreground and the contrast of the yellows to the browns. I just wish the laces would have been 100% in the shot. They're kind of like appendages for people cut-off in the frame.

Andy,
I really like the angle of what you shot and the lighting distribution - it's different. I like the fact that there are three differing types of boots for what most probably is most of your lifestyle. I kind of get lost in the attempted message, but I really like it for some non-conforming reason.

rpcraft,
Yeah, a pile of boots in a corner or on the floor definitely meets the assignment objective. The orientation doesn't seem right as presented, and the image is simply out of focus. A lot of other distracting stuff going on too. Yet I'm still interested in seeing those boots - they look very stout.

Gotta' admit, this one is tough. I'm going with what I would want printed to hang on my wall if I had to choose one...... :ponder:

Ed - have to go with yours this time. I think it's just the simplicity of well worn work boots against a hardened stone background and the color contrast that draws me to "boots" this time around. I could see that on canvas to add some more character/texture.

Again, thanks to all for submitting entries.

Ed, you've got the ball!

Yeah I was kind of disoriented and out of focus when I took the picture. The backpack looking thing is my mil-spec hydration pack. The black set of boots is a cheap set of Vega's I got off ebay and I wore them about 2 times and realized they were a touch too small. I'd sell them but they are really cheaply made and I'd be ashamed if someone bought them from me as new and saw they have parts that look like they are coming off, lol. Since then I was riding with just hiking shoes/boots until I got the brown set which are the Garnea Balance.. (pro tech I think). I am still breaking them in to be honest but I think I am going to have to go find a knee deep puddle and stand in it and just soak the **** out of them and then wear them till they are broken in. I'm just not sure what else to do right now since it hasn't rained and I am not riding right now. Maybe you can offer some advice for me once I get my crap together and ride on!!!

Back