• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bandit funky hot smell?

waz

Reaction score
I have a '07 Bandit 1250 with 25,000 miles on it that emits a funky, roasted road kill, hot running smell (from the engine cases, not from the exhaust) when I shut it off.

The engine also makes that "tink....tink..." metallic noise that air-cooled engines produce as it's cooling off.

A buddy has a water cooled Yamaha that is dead silent when cooling down, and doesn't smell like a burnt offering.

So what gives? I changed the anti-freeze & burped the system 2 summers ago, I checked the coolant level (full), checked that the fan is cycling (it is), and examined the headers for any remnants of possum (none), and even talked to a mechanic at the local stealer who gave the opinion that nothing was wrong.

The bike runs great - its just noisy & smelly when I turn it off.

Any ideas? Does your Bandit smell/ make tinking noises?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hi Waz

Mine also gives the good 'ol "tink..tink" when cooling but i think that has more to do with the headers than anything else and I am not concerned about it. I actually think it's normal but I may be wrong. As far as smell goes, mine definitely has a smell to it but it is more like the smell of a new car than week old toasty possum. I think it's the cat (not the feline type but rather the catalytic converter) that is responsible for my bikes smell.

I don't even know how relevant what I have just written is but I am curious to know what gives with the smell my bike also gives off and where it comes from. I am not worried about the tink tink though as my bike does not overheat at all and the fan comes on nicely when I sometimes end up in traffic and it only comes on when standing idle for some time.

A set of ear plugs in the ears and another set stuffed up your nostrils will get rid of all of your problems.

A set of ear plugs in the ears and another set stuffed up your nostrils will get rid of all of your problems.

MM: Thanks for todays humor! My Bandit[07] smells of hot rubber when being parked but I have looked for a hose on a header, etc. with nothing being found. And coolant level is on the money.:giveup:

I had a pair of boots once that touched the pipe w/o me knowing it.....and there was a time I found a dead bird between the headers....and I'm not gonna start on the deer skin from that one close encounter...tooo scary.

The boot thing happened to me too. Still got some of the ooze on my yoshi slip on. You one-up in the roadkill department though.

Have you ever traveled behind a tractor trailer hauling cattle? And avoid that green trail emitting from the trailer as well. DAMHIK.

Larry
VFRrider

Back