• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hi Folks

Reaction score
I was looking for a friend's link and a google led me here. I thought I'd become a member with the idea in mind of possibly finding a group to ride with.

I bought my first motorcycle in 1973 - a new Suzuki TS-185. I actually ran it down the 1/8 mile dragstrip in Eugene Oregon. I was a big drag racing fan back then. Over the years I've had a number of other bikes, pretty much all of which have been modified and raced. In the early 1980s I had an old GS-1000 Pro-Stock bike.

I've been pretty busy for the last few years trying to make a business profitable but decided that I needed some recreation and since my current bike was pretty much a track only machine I decided to take the plunge, call it a racer and get a new street bike.

Here's some pics of my current rides. Guess which one is the street bike and which one is the race bike.

Eric

busa_turbo1.jpg

zx14.jpg

Looks like the business became profitable. Welcome to the site. A few TWT will be in your neighborhood next week for the monthly pie run. Might be a good place to meet up with some other riders.

:dude:

:clap:

Welcome, and thanks for the pics. I didn't see any track-rash on either one.

Wow nice bikes. I had a '73 TS 185 Suzi also, they were just about bullet proof, would ride an enduro on Sunday and ride it to work on Monday.

:welcome:

Looks like the business became profitable. Welcome to the site. A few TWT will be in your neighborhood next week for the monthly pie run. Might be a good place to meet up with some other riders.

Sounds like fun, but I'm afraid that next Saturday we're going to the Red Bull Flugtag in Austin. For out of town folk that might be worth a ride.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

So have you dyno'd the Busa? Curious to know what the mods have done for it :trust:

I was just at Johnny Cheese's shop today and we put the bike on the dyno. I'd put some new fuel system stuff in and wanted to get the fuel/air rich enough to get down the track without melting stuff. We got 282 horses, which is kind of low - I've seen 300 before at the same amount of boost. I suspect that the turbo is overspooling, putting too much heat into the intake charge. I think that I've got too much octane in the fuel too, which is hurting me. I'm starting to think that before too long it may be time for a bigger turbo or perhaps an intercooler.

As for mods, in the engine I just focused on making it strong. Tool steel knifed edged rods, good valve springs, 1/2" cylinder bolts, 8.8-1 compression at 1397cc, backcut trans. The power comes from the turbo.

I've also got a bunch of data acquisition equipment to help me determine what the bike is doing. I've got a four channel system with inputs for front & rear wheels, rpm and boost. Another system records air/fuel ratio, rpm and boost. I've put a lock down Penske shock on the back end and cut the forks. The bike is 60" long.

For the time being my focus is on making the clutch, boost profile, gearing, and chassis work together. Once I've maximized my performance with the amount of power that I've got on tap I'll start to think about more power. I'm thinking that at a 60" wheelbase 450-500 hp is probably about the upper limit that can be put on the ground.

I've started a blog since I got the Hayabusa back together. I'm trying to document some of what it takes to build, tune and ride a bike like this. http://web.mac.com/emarsh/iWeb/DragBikeSite/Welcome.html

Wow nice bikes. I had a '73 TS 185 Suzi also, they were just about bullet proof, would ride an enduro on Sunday and ride it to work on Monday.

:welcome:

When I first took my 185 for a test ride, it felt fast but then again I wasn't really a motorcyclist back then. I soon upgraded it to a TS-125 MX bike that I modified. One thing led to the next and within a few years I was riding an 1175cc GS-1000 with nitrous and then the Pro-Stocker. Funny thing i that I always wanted to race cars but could only afford a bike.

Dang... sounds like FUN!!

You gonna drag if competitively? Not long ago there was a TWT Drag Day (not of the clothing variety :wary:) somewhere up in the DFW area. They had a pretty good turnout. Don't think anyone was running anything quite like your Busa though! Got any pics from the strip?

At this point I just want to spend some time experimenting with the bike and once I've got things figured out do some local bike races. To really compete with the big boys takes more money and dedication than I have at this point. So it's just a play toy.

I don't have a lot of recent pictures from the track but will try to get some. I've got some old stuff. Part of the problem is that I've been so busy with work that my motor was in pieces for quite a while until earlier this year and once I got things back together I ended up having to wait several months for an upgraded boost controller. Perhaps I can get it out to the track for testing this Thursday or Friday.

It's good to hear JC got another shop up and running. Welcome to the site and those are some nice bikes you have there.

Back