• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

*SECURE* cell pone mount?

Rydah

Who's ready to ride some dirt?!
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
So I tried a ram mounted phone holder before, and still the phone popped out and got destroyed on the freeway. Well, actualy.. it was plugged into the charger, and while reaching for the dash, the wire got caught between my fingers, and pulled the phone out. Bottom line is, the clip type holder I had was not secue enough (at least for me).

I've seen several types, but they all seem to barely "squeeze" the phone, and just don't seem very secure to me. My Gamin rugged mount actually clips into recesses on the unit, and then locks into place, making it very secure, even when riding off-road.

Has anyone come across a really secure setup for holding a cell phone, or am I gonnna have to invent something?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 202
Get an OtterBox Defender case and mount that to the bars (I just used a hose clamp around the belt clip; you could use a RAM universal bracket or similar.) I traverse some BAD breakovers on my way to/from work every day and it's held tight for months.

Edit: Pictures of the mount. (And my CRAP mod!)

A2hvLyxl.jpg
ibzh4Rtl.jpg

Get an OtterBox Defender case and mount that to the bars (I just used a hose clamp around the belt clip; you could use a RAM universal bracket or similar.) I traverse some BAD breakovers on my way to/from work every day and it's held tight for months.

I know someone who modified an otterbox for a samsung note. AFAIK, it's still working.

My S3 in an Otterbox commuter fits very snug in my Ram x-mount. My only complaint is where I have to put it in the x-mount because it tries to push the buttons. I've hit bumps hard enough that my phone thinks i'm trying to do whatever shaking the phone does but it doesn't move at all. I'm quite confident with it in there.

I've got the echo(I think) mount and charger.

I was disappointed till I figured out how to get the mount to tighten up correctly. Holds an IPhone4 in an otterbox secure enough that I have no worries of it coming out on the two miles of bumpy dirt road I go down before I hit blacktop. Also charges so I don't have to worry about the BT draining my cell battery.

Here it is: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006MNLH0G"]Echo Black Plug and Go Motorcycle Handlebar Cell Phone/Device Holder and Charger:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

Well, after a bit more research on the Quad Lock system, I went ahead and ordered the bike mount bundle and the car mount as well. Total (with their 10% discount, and free shipping) came out to $108, shipped. Not bad for case, bike mount and car mount! Since it's coming from Australia, I imagine it'll be awhile before I get it, but I'll be sure to write up a review when I do. Thanks for all the suggestions :thumb:

If that system doesn't arrive or work out for you here is a more budget mount I have been very happy with. Mount is not adjustable, it is custom made for a tight fit so you have to order based on what case you are using. Holds fine and no issues yet. When riding off road I do use an extra rubber strap as an added precaution.
http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Galaxy-S4_c_28044.html

_

I used the X- mount as well with no problems. Not sure how it would do on a dual sport though.

I have a Aquabox (large I think). Fits my GPS or my phone... Looks like they have a new line out that are a bit thinner for cell phones as well now..

Okay, so I've been using the Quad Lock system now for the past six months, and all I can say is, wow! This is a really nice system, and is extremely secure. I modified a Ram ball mount and attached the Quad Lock to it so I could mount it to my handlebar via the Ram mount.
This allowed me to move the phone to a better location. The locking system is extremely secure, and will not come loose by itself. The car windshield suction mount is also first class, and does not come loose at all. I even went ahead and ordered the belt clip for carrying when wearing jeans. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the system, and would highly recommend it to anyone else who's been looking for a good, secure setup.

Attachments

• Quad RAM 2a.jpg
    Quad RAM 2a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 215
I love my IOttie Easy One Touch - $15 on Amazon. Very stable and secure, and it comes with a little shock cord to keep your phone extra snug. Although I have an iPhone, it will work with an S4.

I recently got a iclever mount for the truck but I was looking at it and it seems like it would be pretty bike friendly if done right. It uses a metal plate that goes between the phone and a case, then the mount part goes on the ac vent and it just uses a rare earth magnet. I was thinking to upscale it for MC use would be either a bigger magnet or more of them but I wasn't sure at what point the magnet would nuke the phone. My phone is through work though so maybe I am just looking for an accident to happen so I can upgrade... lol

I have this one and have had no issues with it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-iPhone-Smartphone-Handlebar-Samsung/dp/B00FQJCVSE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1429999318&sr=8-3&keywords=cell+phone+handlebar+mount"]Amazon.com: Arkon iPhone Bike Mount Smartphone Handlebar Mount for Apple iPhone 6 Plus 6 5 5S 5C Samsung Galaxy Note Edge 4 3 2 S5 S4 S3: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

Besides the pinch thingies top & bottom, it has a stretch cord that hooks in front of the screen. But being the worry wart I am, I've added one extra precaution: velcro on the back of the phone.

I got a mount for my GS4 and it's really secure and water proof. You can charge the phone while in the mount. All of that is good except I can't see the screen unless it's dark outside. How are the rest of you viewing the screen on your phone in daylight?

I make my own. A thick rubber band Ensures that it won't slide out, though I don't think it's needed. It's pretty snug as it is. Not to mention the phone case is a rubberized incipio case, so it'd be hard pressed to slide out.

The powder coat looks like poo. I literally did ZERO prep, other than a quick wipe down with acetone. Lol. Oh well, it is what it is.

There's a USB port mounted under this, so when its in here, I plug it up, and run it on full blast brightness, to fight glare. I use my phone as a GPS, speedo, and mp3 all at once.

IMG_20150625_215716727_zpsi35looel.jpg

Last edited:
Back