• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ARKLATEX Weekend Adventure Revision 2

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Simmons
I did this same ride last year and had such a great time I decide to do it again this year. I asked a couple people if they were interested in going and I had no takers so off I went by myself again this year.

First I had to get out of town. Below is the scene in the parking lot at work the afternoon before my departure.

20141002_160258-L.jpg

20141002_160305-L.jpg

Day 1 Fort Worth to Natchitoches, La

Goal for the day would be to clear the Metromess and then explore back roads South of I20 in East Texas and Louisiana.

Leaving the Barn

IMGP9409-L.jpg

IMGP9410-L.jpg

Crossing Cedar Creek Reservoir

IMGP9416-L.jpg

IMGP9417-L.jpg

IMGP9420-L.jpg

It was a little early for lunch and a little late for breakfast. Breakfast it was.

20141003_092230-L.jpg

20141003_094018-L.jpg

I altered my route from last year a little to check out Lake Palestine.

IMGP9424-L.jpg

IMGP9427-L.jpg

Finally to the roads I had been longing for. I wasn't concerned about road surface this ride since I was on the Tenere.

IMGP9429-L.jpg

IMGP9433-L.jpg

IMGP9434-L.jpg

I had ridden over and around a lot of remnants of yesterdays wind storm and came upon this out in the middle of no where.

IMGP9436-L.jpg

IMGP9437-L.jpg

Lunch stop for the usually water and trail mix.

20141003_122243-L.jpg

IMGP9440-L.jpg

Not many old bike shops left like this one.

IMGP9442-L.jpg

IMGP9444-L.jpg

Soon enough I would be crossing the Sabine River at Logansport, LA.

IMGP9446-L.jpg

IMGP9448-L.jpg

I had never been to the old International Border of the Republic of Texas and the United States so I decided to check it out.

IMGP9450-L.jpg

IMGP9452-L.jpg

It is pretty wild thinking that used to be the border. I back tracked back to Logansport and then continued my route which go down the East side of Toledo Bend Reservoir.

The roads were fun and scenic to ride and everything was green. As dry as it has been at home even here it looked the reservoir could use a lot more water.

Quick stop for a stretch Converse Bay

IMGP9462-L.jpg

IMGP9463-L.jpg

IMGP9465-L.jpg

A short time after leaving Converse I got on some easy and fun dirt roads. I was a little nervous as I went through a couple gates that said “Keep closed and locked at all times”.

IMGP9466-L.jpg

After a while I popped back out on black top.

IMGP9468-L.jpg

IMGP9469-L.jpg

It had been a beautiful day to ride and I was soon in Natchitoches my destination for the day. Established in 1714 by*Louis Juchereau de St. Denis*as part of*French Louisiana, the community was named after the Natchitoches*Indian*tribe. The City of Natchitoches was first incorporated on February 5, 1819. It is the oldest permanent settlement in the*Louisiana Purchase. Natchitoches's sister city is*Nacogdoches,Texas.

These days it is pretty touristy in the old downtown area.

IMGP9470-L.jpg

When in Louisiana do as the natives do. I had a Gumbo and an Abita Purple Haze for supper.

The small downtown reminded me of New Orleans. Even though it was Friday night there was a car show with music playing.

20141003_185731-L.jpg

IMGP9475-L.jpg

IMGP9476-L.jpg

20141003_185714-L.jpg

IMGP9483-L.jpg

IMGP9488-L.jpg

IMGP9495-L.jpg

20141003_194526-L.jpg

What a great first day for a weekend ride.

Day 2 Natchitoches, La to Mena, Ar

I got up early had a little breakfest in the Hotel Lobby and the hit the road. Had a nice chat at breakfast with guys riding the scooters. The oldest guy was in is 70's and still rides 20K+ a year.

20141004_073518-L.jpg

To stay off major roads I back tracked about 20 miles before heading North. The roads were curvy and fun so I didn't matter to me. I stopped to check out a couple Historic sites as I headed North.

The first was where the Battle of Pleasant Hill was fought.

The*Battle of Pleasant Hill*was fought on April 9, 1864, during the*Red River Campaign*of the*American Civil War, near*Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, between*Union*forces led by*Maj. Gen.*Nathaniel P. Banks*and*Confederate*forces, led by Maj. Gen.*Richard Taylor.
The battle was essentially a continuation of the previous day's*Battle of Mansfield, fought nearby, which ended around sunset due to darkness[3]*— night time provided a brief interlude in hostilities. On April 9, Taylor launched an ambitious assault against the newly reinforced Federals at Pleasant Hill and had the upper hand before*Brig. Gen.*Thomas J. Churchill's*Arkansas*division*was flanked on its right and repulsed. After the battle, the Federals remained demoralized and unconfident in their commander — they retreated to*Grand Ecore, and from there to*Alexandria. Officially, the battle was a Union victory — as the Confederates were successfully driven from the field. However, because Banks and his army had retreated so soon afterward, many argued over who had really won.

IMGP9501-L.jpg

IMGP9504-L.jpg

IMGP9511-L.jpg

Continuing Northward on a beautiful day.

IMGP9512-L.jpg

IMGP9513-L.jpg

IMGP9518-L.jpg

IMGP9519-L.jpg

IMGP9522-L.jpg

Last year at this point it started raining pretty good. This year, nothing but sunshine. I would soon be back in Texas and on my way to Jefferson for gas and a snack.

IMGP9523-L.jpg

IMGP9526-L.jpg

IMGP9528-L.jpg

IMGP9531-L.jpg

IMGP9533-L.jpg

From Jefferson I was headed to Lake 'O The Pines for the North Texas Norton Owners Association (NTNOA) annual Rally.

http://www.ntnoa.org/14loprecap.htm

On the way to LOP.

IMGP9534-L.jpg

IMGP9535-L.jpg

When I arrived at the Rally the sun was out and it was beautiful.

IMGP9537-L.jpg

Juat a few of the many awesome bikes on display.

20141004_120215-L.jpg

20141004_120230-L.jpg

IMGP9539-L.jpg

IMGP9543-L.jpg

IMGP9545-L.jpg

IMGP9548-L.jpg

IMGP9550-L.jpg

20141004_121408-L.jpg

IMGP9555-L.jpg

IMGP9557-L.jpg

IMGP9560-L.jpg

IMGP9564-L.jpg

IMGP9577-L.jpg

IMGP9586-L.jpg

This guy had the best view of the bikes.

IMGP9589-L.jpg

IMGP9594-L.jpg

IMGP9597-L.jpg

IMGP9599-L.jpg

IMGP9606-L.jpg

IMGP9621-L.jpg

IMGP9626-L.jpg

IMGP9640-L.jpg

After a couple hours of looking at beautiful bikes it was time to hit the road for Mena.

IMGP9645-L.jpg

IMGP9646-L.jpg

I stopped for a Pepsi and stretch in Dequeen, Ar.

IMGP9652-L.jpg

IMGP9653-L.jpg

IMGP9654-L.jpg

After getting cleaned up I headed to the center of town to the Branding Iron for supper. I usually get a steak here. I went for barbeque tonight.

IMGP9657-L.jpg

Another great day in books.

Day 3 Mena to Home

Today be a long day. I awoke to a little fog and and a much higher than expected temperature of 59. I wanted to be on the road by sunrise as I was planning to be out side of Lindale, TX by 11ish.

IMGP9663-L.jpg

I was a little nervous heading off for Talimena Scenic Drive in the dark. I have seen plenty of animals including a bear in other trips across in the daylight.

IMGP9664-L.jpg

The sun rose quickly and I had the Scenic Drive all to myself. It was great with no traffic on a cool, crisp fall morning. I wished I had left a few minutes later as I missed the best part of sunrise.

IMGP9667-L.jpg

IMGP9668-L.jpg

IMGP9670-L.jpg

IMGP9674-L.jpg

IMGP9685-L.jpg

IMGP9689-L.jpg

IMGP9690-L.jpg

IMGP9695-L.jpg

I would soon be on 259 headed South towards Broken Bow I headed down hill through the fog and then back up to 3 Sticks Monument. The temp dropped from 59 to the low 40's before getting to Broken Bow where is started warming up again.

IMGP9718-L.jpg

IMGP9719-L.jpg

I made a quick stop in Bogata, TX for gas and Pepsi and headed for Lindale. From the Texas border until below I30 the road is straight and flat with nothing on it for miles and miles.

IMGP9720-L.jpg

After crossing 30 the scenery and roads would get progressively nice until I got to my next stop. The 30th annual Guzzi Riders of Texas (GRIT) outside of Lindale.
Shortly after getting my gear off I was greeted by Moose who had ridden up for the day from Houston. The rally is at great location in the woods over looking a lake at American Legion Post 15.

IMGP9721-L.jpg

IMGP9722-L.jpg

One of the next two bikes is a one owner unrestored bike that regularly gets ridden. The other has has $36K restoration and rides around in a trailer.

Which one would you rather own?

IMGP9724-L.jpg

IMGP9725-L.jpg

IMGP9728-L.jpg

IMGP9730-L.jpg

IMGP9731-L.jpg

IMGP9737-L.jpg

IMGP9739-L.jpg

After a wonderful lunch of, you guessed it, pasta. I headed home but not before some I rode some more beautiful East Texas back roads.

IMGP9740-L.jpg

IMGP9741-L.jpg

IMGP9743-L.jpg

All in all I had great relaxing weekend ride exploring the ARKLATEX area.

IMGP9745-L.jpg

Nice. You got some good riding and got to look at a bunch of cool bikes all in the same trip.

Enjoyed the report. I've not explored East Texas past Edom or LA at all for that matter. Now I've got some incentive to do so.

Thanks for sharing your ride & pics passing thru my home area. My childhood home is within a few miles of this barn:

IMGP9526-L.jpg

To find this road you must've really studied the maps, or had your GPS set to find THE shortest route to the Norton rally:

IMGP9535-L.jpg

I regret I missed the Norton rally this year working on friend's motorcycle for most of the morning.

To find this road you must've really studied the maps, or had your GPS set to find THE shortest route to the Norton rally:

Actually studied the maps looking for some easy dirt to ride on.

All of that is my old stomping grounds, from Shreveport, and love exploring Ark! Wish I could have made trip with you! Is Leggett's still open? I hear they have a couple of nice old bikes that were never sold.

All of that is my old stomping grounds, from Shreveport, and love exploring Ark! Wish I could have made trip with you! Is Leggett's still open? I hear they have a couple of nice old bikes that were never sold.
The shop was open and there was still a couple old new bikes inside.

Holler the next time you ride this as I would love to join you. Looks like the perfect big bike mix of easy dirt, nice backroad pavement and interesting events and landmarks.

_

Holler the next time you ride this as I would love to join you. Looks like the perfect big bike mix of easy dirt, nice backroad pavement and interesting events and landmarks.

_

X'2!

Back