• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ever wonder how much a motorcycle's chain can stretch under load?

cheez

Reaction score
For a drag bike, it's more than you might expect... definitely raised my eyebrows!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ZsWwQ072E"]Dragracing Motorcycle Chain Close up, awesome! - YouTube[/ame]

Not really a surprise I guess with all the power that bike is putting down. Turn off the sound and you can still tell exactly when each upshift is made.

_

Very cool. As a point of reference, my dad raced a BSA A10 drag bike in the late 50s and early 60s. It had a bolt-over rear sprocket set which consisted of an outer ring sprocket that could be bolted over the stock sprocket through the teeth to quickly change the gearing. He ran the bolt over when he was setup for gas and the stock sprocket when he was setup for alcohol. Today's bikes would rip a bolt-over right of the wheel in a second.

:tab The lower side of the chain is the slack side, it is not under a load. That is why it flops around so much. The top side is where the load is being carried and ALL slack has been removed so long as the load does not let off. All that slack goes to the bottom of the chain where it is not under tension. So you aren't seeing stretching, just slack flop. It would be interesting to see a vid showing that side during a similar run.

Sure seems pretty tight when it is burning out and creeping to the line. No belly or sag on the slack side. Then under load all sorts of slack shows up.

Sure seems pretty tight when it is burning out and creeping to the line. No belly or sag on the slack side. Then under load all sorts of slack shows up.

That's what I noticed.... Yet TM is also correct in that is the slack side we are watching.

My opinion? Just get a shaft drive and forget about chains. :sun:

There's way too much movement to just be the slack that was previously on the top run. However, I'm sure it's more than just chain stretch as well. Are drag bikes hardtails? If the rear suspension is compressed under acceleration, that will change the chain tension. Also, there could be deflection of the swingarm - those guys run really long swingarms.

Also, I've seen yellow plastic chains at Home Depot. Maybe it's a plastic chain for weight savings. :brainsnap

There's way too much movement to just be the slack that was previously on the top run. However, I'm sure it's more than just chain stretch as well. Are drag bikes hardtails? If the rear suspension is compressed under acceleration, that will change the chain tension. Also, there could be deflection of the swingarm - those guys run really long swingarms.

Also, I've seen yellow plastic chains at Home Depot. Maybe it's a plastic chain for weight savings. :brainsnap

:tab Generally, compressing the suspension will increase the length between the two sprockets, and thus reduce the amount of slack. The location of the swing arm pivot relative to the counter shaft sprocket also affects this. Basically, when the swing arm, pivot point and the sprockets are all in a straight line, the chain is at its max tension location. This is why you don't want to over tighten the chain when the bike is sitting on the side stand with the rear suspension uncompressed. If you don't leave some slack, it will pull hard on the counter shaft and can damage the seal and/or shaft itself. If the suspension were compressed to the point where the swing arm went PAST the straight line position, the chain would start going slack again. Absent some kind of restricting device on a drag bike, I could see the bike squatting under heavy acceleration to the point where that might happen.

:tab ALL materials deflect/deform under a load. So the chain does indeed stretch under hard acceleration. However, the amount of actual stretching is likely trivial as the chain material is extremely hard and strong. It also doesn't really have much time to heat up during such short loadings and thus thermal stretch is probably non existent. Where you get the slack in the chain itself regardless of adjustment is in the clearances between the links and pins. Even if they are relatively tight clearances, they can add up on a chain that is long. So I would expect to see a lot of slack like that on a drag bike because their chains are usually much longer than those found on regular bikes.

:tab A big danger of having too much slack in the chain is derailment on the bottom of the rear sprocket. This is why a lot of dirt bikes have chain guides on the rear sprocket. The LONG suspension travel of dirt bikes requires a good deal of slack at the uncompressed suspension positions. The guide keeps the chain lined up with the sprocket so it cannot go off to either side.

That's what I noticed.... Yet TM is also correct in that is the slack side we are watching.

My opinion? Just get a shaft drive and forget about chains. :sun:

Ah! You mean trading one kind of final drive problems for another kind of FD problems? Any one here ever have a problem with a BMW GS FD? ;-)

Ah! You mean trading one kind of final drive problems for another kind of FD problems? Any one here ever have a problem with a BMW GS FD? ;-)

Me :mrgreen:

Total failure of the bearing system on my 1150 GS.

Total failure of the brake rotor mounting lugs on the final drive casing on my 1200 GS, which then instantly led to destruction of final drive and rear brakes.

Both were fixed by BMW under warranty, even the 1200 GS which was WELL out of its original warranty.

I was just REAL fortunate that neither incident resulted in a loss of control/accident. :cool2:

On the burnout very little suspension compression (no rider weight and the tire is spinning not driving forward) so the chain stays fairly taunt.

On launch and under power tire is driving into the pavement with both
motor torque and weight load of the rider so the suspension compresses
and you see the large amount of deflection.

Remember that is at least an 8 and probably a 12 inch longer swingarm so the chain is 16-24 inches longer than normal that is a lot of extra movement
when you put in the arc of the swingarm travel

when long travel off road bikes became in the norm it was an issue until
guides rollers were placed along the system

While it is very impressive, I am with the guys in the slack camp. Between the lowered suspension, and lengthened swingarm/ longer chain, that is most certainly chain slop.

Some of you slacker's need to spend some time at
a drag strip and watch those bike's run that's chain stretch.

Current Outlaw PST bike's are putting 600 + hp to the tire
and DO stretch a chain quite alot.
Outlaw PST record is 6.55@227 think about the load on that chain
to go that quick.

Cool video. I'm in the slackers camp on this one. Of all the chains I've stretched, be it a motorcycle or load bearing chain, none have ever tighten back up, or un-stretched, like the one in the video at the end of the run...

Back