• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Triumph Tiger 800xc & 800 Road. What did you do with your Tiger today

The closest is Polaris West 6117 Highway Blvd, Katy

There is also
Team Mancuso Triumph 7250 Southwest Freeway, Houston TX,

British USA 1210 College Avenue, South Houston TX

Be sure to take your riding gear so you can do a test ride.

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of riding the Tiger on the Cresson, Tx race track's 1.3 mile circuit.

We attended the Ride Smart Back Road Skills Course on Saturday and I racked up 85 miles of blissful circuiting of the pristine tarmac at Cresson.

Wanted to share here what a blast the Tiger is in this environment, and what a wonderful place it is to learn and polish skills.

Highly recommended course as it gets you some time on the track with relaxed requirements over the usual racer classes.

There were about twenty riders in the class with everything from cruisers and a Gold Wing down to a few big tourers, GS's, MCB on her R1150R, and me on the lone Tiger in attendance.

Miss Kitty enjoyed scratching up the track surface with the pegs and leaving shavings off the toe of my boot sole behind.

Cresson's 1.3 loop is a fun track with lots to offer in variety of curves and elevation changes, and the Ride Smart instructors were a pleasure to work and play with.

Last edited:
What Fun I had the last 10 days

I just returned from riding my 2012 800ABS from CA up the OR coast, back down through NV, UT, NM and home to TX covering 3260 miles in 7 days. The bike was really fun to ride and averaged 40.5 mpg going at posted speeds most of the time. Corbin seat and madstad windshield made it a fun tourer. Caught more weather than any ride in my life though...

"What did you do with your Tiger today?"

Mounted a Crossbreed molded holster for a Sig P226.......

Crossbreed provided the holster and backing plate with the RAM ball; RAM provided the clamp for around the 'crash' bar and the arm-clamp.

It's held vertically - does not foul my left knee (further back and it did).....I maybe want a shorter arm, but this will do.............

Attachments

• Sig-Tiger 1.jpg
    Sig-Tiger 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 256
  • Sig-Tiger 2.jpg
    Sig-Tiger 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Sig-Tiger 3.jpg
    Sig-Tiger 3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Crossbreed provided the holster and backing plate with the RAM ball; RAM provided the clamp for around the 'crash' bar and the arm-clamp.

It's held vertically - does not foul my left knee (further back and it did).....I maybe want a shorter arm, but this will do.............

Maybe I'm missing something, and it looks pretty cool, but if I saw someone riding around with a gun on their bike in the city I would be uncomfortable, and yes I own guns and yes I live in Texas. What made you wanna have a gun on your bike?

Maybe I'm missing something, and it looks pretty cool, but if I saw someone riding around with a gun on their bike in the city I would be uncomfortable, and yes I own guns and yes I live in Texas. What made you wanna have a gun on your bike?

You're missing nothing, my friend. And I appreciate the very civil tone of your comment.

It is almost certainly a bad idea, in most situations. No retaining strap so a big bump 'may' launch it. Exposed to the heat and road grime. Visible. Etc.

I actually purchased the holster and RAM mount for use in my truck - and figured I'd put it on the bike as a 'concept' and post it here. Heck, it's probably illegal - at least, until 1 January when open carry is available.

I suppose - maybe - if I were taking a long road trip, on paved roads, it may be ok - sort of. I don't like carrying in a hip holster while riding - big hunk of metal on my hip will hurt me if I fall on it - and same goes, even more, for a small of back.

And in a tank bag - not very accessible.

Anyway, yea - while this is not the worst bad idea ever, it is probably 'suboptimal.'

Thanks

You and I think alike, I am just trying to keep it half way accessible. We had a centex campout two years ago and the host asked how may were carrying, since I asked the dumb *** question if it was ok to leave our stuff her while we rode, and I think out of 30 I was the only one not carrying, as I'd just move to texas from CO :-) It was a very safe environment,

You and I think alike, I am just trying to keep it half way accessible. We had a centex campout two years ago and the host asked how may were carrying, since I asked the dumb *** question if it was ok to leave our stuff her while we rode, and I think out of 30 I was the only one not carrying, as I'd just move to texas from CO :-) It was a very safe environment,

Not terribly surprised - being in both communities (motorcyclists and shooters) I am often struck with the similarities - generally independent-minded, accept personal responsibility, respect for limits, etc.

I also see similar threats to both (external regulations, nanny-state mis-placed "safety" rules, splits within the community (think Tactical vs Hunters, and Cruisers vs Sportbikes, etc.....)

I saw this mount setup today minus the Sig. I think it serves a purpose even without the Sig. My initial reaction was...I bet the owner concealed carries, or piece is in his tank bag or tail bag. Kinda a passive aggressive tactic.

_

I saw this mount setup today minus the Sig. I think it serves a purpose even without the Sig. My initial reaction was...I bet the owner concealed carries, or piece is in his tank bag or tail bag. Kinda a passive aggressive tactic.

_

Its a small world SB :-) Rumor has it I need to race your new Tenere on my new Moto Guzzi and JMZ is gonna buy us both beers at the outcome.

Its a small world SB :-) Rumor has it I need to race your new Tenere on my new Moto Guzzi and JMZ is gonna buy us both beers at the outcome.

I'll race ya on gravel but I'm too old (or too wise) for triple digit racing on pavement. JMZ can buy one beer and we'll split it. I tried one of these a few weeks back. Ice cold, the first 12 oz was very refreshing and nice. But really didn't care for the 2nd half of can and wanted regular flavor instead. But the first half was excellent and would like it again.

20150828_170552_zpsapebqw40.jpg

_

I'll race ya on gravel but I'm too old (or too wise) for triple digit racing on pavement. JMZ can buy one beer and we'll split it. I tried one of these a few weeks back. Ice cold, the first 12 oz was very refreshing and nice. But really didn't care for the 2nd half of can and wanted regular flavor instead. But the first half was excellent and would like it again.

20150828_170552_zpsapebqw40.jpg

_

I actually heard about you trying that punch flavored Steelie. I was impressed. My remembrance is the second half actually will taste better than the first half for some reason. But, I stick to the regular Steel Reserve. At least for breakfast anymore. Just too much sweetener that is not good for you in the other flavors.

Unfortunately I no longer own a sufficient gravel road race worthy bike; although I believe the Guzzi and Tenere are of the same mold and it does not mean I won't try :-) No dirt tires on the guzzi so we'd need to mix it up a bit with some pavement or risk going through a fence and scratching our paint. Whats a guy to do? I will likely fry the OEM tires next week on a ride to CA and I suspect the return trip will have as close to street rubber as one can find in a 150/70 17 and 110/90 19 set up :-)

I posted this in the general maint. forum, but thought I might try here too.

I have zero experience with this stuff and appreciate your advice in advance!

I have a Tom Tom Rider GPS that I am going to install on my 2013 Tiger 800. It comes with power/battery cable that has the connector for the cradle on one end and bare wire at the other.

I would prefer not to wire directly to the battery; I want power only when the key is on.

In doing my research I see that are a lot of options for doing this; I am looking for the easiest! I don't want to mess with installing a fuze box, etc. so I am thinking that I splice into the headlight wire (if I can find it).

If I do that, can't I just use one of those clampy-snappy thingees that will snap over the positive for the headlight wire along side the positive for the GPS?
Next, what do I do with the negative wire for GPS? Do I need to add a battery post connector and go to the negative on battery? (don't have crimpers) - or is there some other logical/easy place to terminate the negative?

OR - How easy would it be for me to find the matching connector to the foglight connector that is under the tank and terminate my GP wiring to that connector?

Stop laughing please and advise me in simple english!

I posted this in the general maint. forum, but thought I might try here too.

I have zero experience with this stuff and appreciate your advice in advance!

I have a Tom Tom Rider GPS that I am going to install on my 2013 Tiger 800. It comes with power/battery cable that has the connector for the cradle on one end and bare wire at the other.

I would prefer not to wire directly to the battery; I want power only when the key is on.

In doing my research I see that are a lot of options for doing this; I am looking for the easiest! I don't want to mess with installing a fuze box, etc. so I am thinking that I splice into the headlight wire (if I can find it).

If I do that, can't I just use one of those clampy-snappy thingees that will snap over the positive for the headlight wire along side the positive for the GPS?
Next, what do I do with the negative wire for GPS? Do I need to add a battery post connector and go to the negative on battery? (don't have crimpers) - or is there some other logical/easy place to terminate the negative?

OR - How easy would it be for me to find the matching connector to the foglight connector that is under the tank and terminate my GP wiring to that connector?

Stop laughing please and advise me in simple english!

How bout I walk ya through it tomorrow? I'm up for the ride BTW. You can do it pretty easily in the non Canbus Tiger. Ed

Pic from Bahia de Concepcion a month or so ago in Baja.

Fun fact...that dog is the the black dog from Black Dog Cycle Works.

Attachments

• Bike over in the water.jpg
    Bike over in the water.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 237
Thought you might like these too....

Attachments

• allbikes.jpg
    allbikes.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 222
  • sandy.jpg
    sandy.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 228
  • pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 231

Off topic for just a second.

I know this is old, but I thought I'd let you know that even with the open carry now legal, this set up IS NOT LEGAL.

A person can not open carry unless it is in either a shoulder or hip holster. And they holster must have a retaining strap or lock. If a cop sees you riding down the road they will take the weapon and could arrest you.

This is also true for your car. Even if you have a LTC/CHL, and you have your weapon on your seat in clear view. It must be concealed at all times unless it is strapped to you in a legal holster.

Not trying to be a know it all, just don't want anyone to get trouble.

Bryan

Back