• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Took a few this morning

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
I'm still fighting with this thing, but I learning more about it each time. I was able to barrow a tripod from a friend. Never really put much thought into tripods until today. There was just an ever so slight breeze, but it was enough to make the camera shake. NOW I get it. And I thought this tripod would be good because it's so much sturdier than the one I had. Guess it's a good thing I gave that one away.

Still trying to figure out how to get rid of the white noise too. I think the tower is one of my best shots yet. But it's uneven to me. The lights under the clock seem blurry or something. I think it's the fence maybe. Maybe I should have tried to focus on that? Oh well, I don't have my new glasses yet so I could see it anyways.

The last one is one I took the other day. Thought it was nice.

Attachments

• tower resized.jpg
    tower resized.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Work resized.jpg
    Work resized.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Waterboy.jpg
    Waterboy.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 224
Oh, I'm guessing there is a way to adjust that on the camera?

:tab Nope.

:tab You get the best resolution with the original image size. IF you start with a perfectly focused image and then begin reducing the image size, you are basically throwing away pixels to get it smaller. There is no real way to avoid this. The more you scale it down, the worse it will be. Of course, how noticeable it is will also depend on the content of the image.

:tab Nope.

:tab You get the best resolution with the original image size. IF you start with a perfectly focused image and then begin reducing the image size, you are basically throwing away pixels to get it smaller. There is no real way to avoid this. The more you scale it down, the worse it will be. Of course, how noticeable it is will also depend on the content of the image.

Thanks for the replies Scott. One more question.

So how do you all post such clear clean photos then? To resize the photo because I'm at work I had to use paint. I went from 100 to 35. Without that resize it would be HUGE. Is that just the cameras limits? I'm doubting that.
In the machining world we call that operator error!:trust:

:tab Well, if you are using the image attachment feature, you are limited to a max size of 640 X 480. What the other folks are doing is using an image hosting service, like photobucket, smuggmugg, imageshack, google, etc,... They upload their images in a larger (or possibly even original) size and link to them using the

Looks blurry. I'm thinking the camera was shaking. I couldn't see it in the screen because I can't really see that. My glass come in today. Anyways, thanks for the info.

:tab That looks like the full sized image, 2048 x 1365 px. Did you resize prior to uploading to Facebook? Some sites will automatically resize images to fit their limits when you upload the files. If you try to upload a giant image, rather than just preventing you from uploading, they resize the image on the fly before saving it on their site. Others will let you upload the big image, but then when you link to it, they automatically provide a scaled down version of the image for the link.

:tab The other issue is pixel peeping. No matter how sharp your lens and well focused the shot, if you zoom in you will always be able to find some degree of blurring in places. The real question is just how sharp the image HAS to be for what you are trying to do with it. Some people OBSESS with absolutely perfect sharpness. Generally, that comes at a cost in other places. Don't forget, most people's eyes suck so bad they really couldn't tell if an image was razor sharp or not :-P

I didn't resize it for facebook. I only did that for here and then attached them. I'll probably be one of those picky people. I don't know yet because I'm not good enough to be that picky yet! lol

The quest for uber sharpness is a deep and expensive hole... ;-)

Howdy Bryan. Good pics. Night shots are always tough. A few years back Tim Hutcherson (RIP) and I went downtown to the capital and spent over an hour walking around with our cameras and tripods taking photos. What you are attempting is to become more than a casual snapshot taker. You are also your biggest critic.

A free photo editing program I use quite frequently on my Windows PC's is PhotoScape. I don't know if you'll be able to use it on your work computer because you'd be installing software that isn't authorized or maybe you can. I used to have Lightroom on my home PC but only used it a few times then never did again. I'm not that big into photo editing, just like to "fix" some shots, resize, etc.

Your tower shot in the large format does seem somewhat out of focus but not terrible. Maybe it was camera shake. Some folks weigh down their tripods to make them more sturdy sometimes using camera bags or the like. Heavy tripods aren't as mobile. I love taking night shots and tripods are a must have. All camera's now have timers built in, usually 2 or 10 seconds, and those work well because you're not touching the camera when the shutter goes off thus eliminating some camera movement. Remote triggers work too. My current camera can be triggered through my smart phone. Auto focus works well if there's enough light and the tower was lit well enough for your camera to be able to get a good focus I would think.

Scott is a much better, more involved photographer than I am. So is Scott Strance (M38A1), Rusty, Duke and a slew of other folks. They will all tell you that you never stop learning no matter how much you know or how much experience you have.

Hey Dave.

I think you hit something. Touching the camera to take them. Should have used the timer. I read a lot and forget more lol. I remember reading that now. Between that and the wind and not having my glasses, which I now have and still aren't right which is driving me mad, oh well. I'll give that program a try too.

I forget plenty when I'm trying to set a camera up for certain things. I believe the pro's call it "workflow" where they go through checklists or something.

Hopefully your spectacles will get straightened out soon. I have bifocals myself.

Back