• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

I've done it all, Gina. Once at a motel in Dumas, I pulled my VStrom onto the center stand, loaded all my camping gear back onto it, hopped on, and...... due to a slight parking lot slope, the bike was pointed uphill. Plus, I had just put 60 lb of saddlebags, pack, and tail box onto it. All this to say I couldn't get it off the center stand. I finally popped the tail box off & was able to rock it off.

KP is referring to an incident at Clear Creek Falls, CO. I was traveling on the new VStrom for the 1st time and, dang, those panniers are wide. I was coming around the tail end of a parked pickup truck and, dang, did I mention those panniers are wide? The corner of my right pannier clipped the corner of the pickup's bumper, and over she went. Drew was laughing too hard to help. Some tourists ran over and somebody yelled "Are you hurt?" I said, "Only my pride."

Couple of dumber ones that that, but they're for another time.

Heads up...

Local WallyWorld had a generic helinox chair
rated for 225 lbs for $15 in the camping section

NOT listed on the website

Thanks a bunch! I got two just incase they are sweet.
82b54408455697b55b111ce86f45cef9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heads up...

Local WallyWorld had a generic helinox chair
rated for 225 lbs for $15 in the camping section

NOT listed on the website

Got three... One for the kid, two for a fellow on the forum that could not find them at his wally.

Big difference was the steel frame. My daughter found the bright side quickly... "Well, at least I won't be chasing my chair around the campsite every time the wind blows."

Page says 350, if it holds 1/4 that, it will be good for the kiddo. I have the wally seat, but as compact as it is, it weighs almost double my heliox.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

this one is listed on their website,

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LazyDaze...ng-Chair-Outdoor-Folding-Chairs-Red/717845596

Rated for 350 lbs! Aluminum.

I received mine last week. It is rated for 350 according to their website and it has done OK with my 240+ in limited tests. In a quick comparison of this chair with a picture of a Helinox I don't see any real difference. The sewing is of good quality. For 20 bucks I recommend it. I just looked at Ebay and they can be had there for about $28 now.

Rode out a thunderstorm Tuesday night with my $25 Academy 7x7 tent. 2 plus hours of high winds and heavy downpours. Mostly a success, the sidewall ended up in my face a couple of times but I think it was my fault. I did not tie the guy lines down on the rain fly. even the corners were only slightly stakes. Now I never do the guy lines but will next time if the storms are coming. We were on rock and could not drive in the stakes without bending or breaking them.

Water came in though a 1 inch gap I had accidentally left at the end of the zipper - that's how hard it was raining.

Here is a view of the unused guy lines.

34736451785_82e902c70f_z.jpg

I received mine last week. It is rated for 350 according to their website and it has done OK with my 240+ in limited tests. In a quick comparison of this chair with a picture of a Helinox I don't see any real difference. The sewing is of good quality. For 20 bucks I recommend it. I just looked at Ebay and they can be had there for about $28 now.

Ordered the same ones (same brand) on amazon for $19 and after comparing to the Wally ones with the steel frame, and the aluminum framed chairs, it was a no brainer to return the ones from the store. Close enough to my heliox for my needs. The kid loves it.

I never had tried the Helinox chairs. Wish I had. About a month ago I met up with some friends to bike camp down near the 3 sisters. I picked up a Dick's Sporting Goods camp chair for $5 rated for 225 pounds. It looked awesome, Lone Star Flag pattern, drink holder in the arm rest. Well it last for about $5 dollars worth of time. 2 hours into the weekend it was done.

Guess its time I head for Walmart.

I also admire the guys (girls too) who pack extremely light on the bike. I've always been of the opinion that if a bike is made to ride 2 up then its made to carry pretty much whatever I can strap to it for a camping trip. I was on a solo camping trip in Arkansas and had stopped on a side street to check the oil level on the bike. Had it on the center stand and rocked it off(standing beside it) the center stand. It rocked gently forward and laid on its side before I could stop it. Thought for sure I was going to have to unpack it but had left half my gear at the campground and got it picked up without unpacking it. Whew! The GS crash bars proved their worth again.

I also admire the guys (girls too) who pack extremely light on the bike. I've always been of the opinion that if a bike is made to ride 2 up then its made to carry pretty much whatever I can strap to it for a camping trip.

My aim is to 2-up camp with the kiddo this fall, so now I need two of everything :) What is the old saying... 10 pounds of "flour" in a 5 pound bag? Just ahead of the M, G & E. this weekend while I had all of the gear out I did a 2-up camping packing dry run. I can switch out the top case to an expandable motofizz bag left over from the last bike. Separated the tent from the poles (no hammock camping 2-up (for now)), and other pare-downs. Without the seat space and the grab handles to strap things too, it was really tight. No space for a cooler, but a small insulated grocery bag was stowed. I like to try to live off the land and eat local when I camp, and I can live without ice for 12 hours or so, so that will be okay if not too hot. If we cant find a grocery I have yet to not be able to find a c-store or a Subway in a town (sometimes a too-fer :) ). I have a full cook kit, and that seems to take up way too much space.

Just made some morning tea over the alcohol stove. Is it my imagination but 91% rubbing alcohol seems to soot up more than my Lowes denatured alcohol? What do you use in your alcohol stoves?

Go back a few posts and you can see a couple of tents, neither using the guy lines on the tent rain fly. Was this wise? Do you guys put out the guy lines when it is probably going to rain?

My aim is to 2-up camp with the kiddo this fall, so now I need two of everything :) What is the old saying... 10 pounds of "flour" in a 5 pound bag? Just ahead of the M, G & E. this weekend while I had all of the gear out I did a 2-up camping packing dry run. I can switch out the top case to an expandable motofizz bag left over from the last bike. Separated the tent from the poles (no hammock camping 2-up (for now)), and other pare-downs. Without the seat space and the grab handles to strap things too, it was really tight. No space for a cooler, but a small insulated grocery bag was stowed. I like to try to live off the land and eat local when I camp, and I can live without ice for 12 hours or so, so that will be okay if not too hot. If we cant find a grocery I have yet to not be able to find a c-store or a Subway in a town (sometimes a too-fer :) ). I have a full cook kit, and that seems to take up way too much space.

you can pack a tiny cook kit in a small space. If for nothing else, it's great for boiling water. Check out the Stanley cook kit, put a tiny $10 Amazon stove in it and the gas, then put the kit into a GSI cup. That can slip into a 3 for $5 ditty bag with a drag string at the top. This is incredibly versatile.

Let us know how it goes.

Go back a few posts and you can see a couple of tents, neither using the guy lines on the tent rain fly. Was this wise? Do you guys put out the guy lines when it is probably going to rain?

Generally the guy lines allow for adequate ventilation, which is almost always needed in Texas. I've never even thought about not doing them till now.

Added ventilation yes.
And the guy lines will hold the fly off the tent walls in stormy weather.

I prefer rain flys that go all the way down to the bottom edge. That will really help keep things dry in the tent if it rains long/hard enough to splash water and mud on the tent.

When I was camping and eating in camp(versus restaurants/stores) I would carry a collapsible cooler with me on the bike. Either just prior to hitting a planned camp or if I was spending a couple of days riding based out of a campsite I would hit the store for supplies and ice. I have an Arctic Zone soft cooler that rolls up tight but will carry almost 2 cases of cans or 2 bags of ice. Never needed that much but when filled with the needs it strapped down nicely on the bike. Soft sided coolers makes it a little easier than the hard sided ones that still take up the space even when empty.

I prefer rain flys that go all the way down to the bottom edge.

That WAS how they were made when the first dome tents came to market. It took a few years before they shrunk the rain fly and thinned the material on the low end tent market.

I may yet move up from my cheap Academy Ozark trail but only if I start camping a whole lot more or if it is in much colder weather.

Back