• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your two-stroke mega thread

Reason I ask, my 81 SR500 has same color paint.

I don't recall the SR500 coming out that early, but maybe so. I do recall when Joe Fisher got some XT500s in at University Cycles in College Station and I graduated in '75. BUT, I was thinkin' the SR500 came out around 1978 or 80.

I don't recall the SR500 coming out that early, but maybe so. I do recall when Joe Fisher got some XT500s in at University Cycles in College Station and I graduated in '75. BUT, I was thinkin' the SR500 came out around 1978 or 80.

Your right, it did come out in 1978. I guess they use the same color. I saw a newer FJR with the same paint as the RD also. That is my favorite color on bikes.

Coming to my garage soon.

74%20RD350%201_zps2hvfnucx.jpg

74%20RD350%205_zpsw7ouozmu.jpg

74%20RD350%206_zpsiu8ahawd.jpg

74%20RD350%204%20Engine_zpsaqiwv7ay.jpg

74%20RD350%203%20Odometer_zpsyjhsbvjq.jpg

74%20RD350%202_zps48jgphqs.jpg
LOL, I thought it was coming to my garage first....:giveup:

Believe that's a 74, maybe a 73, but IIRC that color was 74. I had a 75, orange bike in Aggieland, go figure. :rofl:

The main thing about 2 strokes that sit a long time is the crank seals can dry rot. They're pretty high quality in the RDs, but you never know. A pressure leak down test of the crankcase can tell ya and you can soap the crank seals to check for bubbles. A good seal is necessary. Too much leakage and it can be cranky and may seize if pushed. Trust me, I know these motorcycles, I've owned over a dozen Yamaha 2 stroke twins over the years, most have been raced in CRRC (which became CMRA). A few of those were water cooled TZ250s. They suffer no fools for tuning. :D

I once had 4 tickets in a year in the BCS area on my 75 RD for speeding and "exhibition of acceleration" or "unsafe start from a stopped position". :rofl: I chilled when the judge told me ONE MORE BOY....:rofl:

It will be pressure checked before given a clean bill of health...case, head, barrels, intake manifolds.

I've owned, built, ridden TZ250(several, last being a "J"), RD350 (a bunch), RD400, and RD400 with a mix of TZ parts.
We are going to do an electronic ignition, confirm/replace case seals, clean the carbs and confirm no leaks, clean the oil injector and confirm its working...then off it goes to street use.

Just brought this little girl home this evening, after getting permission from the wife I jumped in the pickup (already full of gas) with a two hour window to get from Georgetown to Dripping springs, Mopac came to a stand still and I was freaking out a little, for one it was a house out in the boonies and I didn't know for sure if I'd find it right away but it all worked out and she is home, it was one of those deals where He had many callers (one from Okla.) wanting to make the trip to get it, anyway it's a very nice 73 F7 175 not perfect but nice and runs great, 2k on the speedo, my favorite color of blue.
002_zpsho2z6vz4.jpg

Just brought this little girl home this evening, after getting permission from the wife I jumped in the pickup (already full of gas) with a two hour window to get from Georgetown to Dripping springs, Mopac came to a stand still and I was freaking out a little, for one it was a house out in the boonies and I didn't know for sure if I'd find it right away but it all worked out and she is home, it was one of those deals where He had many callers (one from Okla.) wanting to make the trip to get it, anyway it's a very nice 73 F7 175 not perfect but nice and runs great, 2k on the speedo, my favorite color of blue.
002_zpsho2z6vz4.jpg

I love it? All you need in the factory mirrors to be complete.

Thought this is kinda cool - fairly accurate sound:

Last edited:
Heads up 1980 Kawasaki KE175 needs work on Dallas craigslist for $450.
Having redone a few old bikes in the past, this one is pretty rough and would cost a fortune to restore or even get in descent riding condition.

Back