• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

7/15 Breakfast and Dirt Dual Sport Ride

My bud and I will be there. What's the ratio of dirt to pavement? My KTM will cruise comfortably around 60. Beyond that is a little much...

My bud and I will be there. What's the ratio of dirt to pavement? My KTM will cruise comfortably around 60. Beyond that is a little much...

Unless you want to be going faster than that on the dirt and gravel, you'll be fine. I'd say more dirt than pavement on this one. Can't give an exact ratio.

Unless you want to be going faster than that on the dirt and gravel, you'll be fine. I'd say more dirt than pavement on this one. Can't give an exact ratio.

Okay awesome. How far in between fuel stops? My bike has a stock tank...

EDIT: I read in the first post there will be fuel stops... I should be fine

Last edited:
The current forecast looks like we're going to be rained out. I'm hoping that will change, but I'll be making a weather decision no later than 1800 Friday.

Wish I could join you. Had a blast on your last ride. Hope to make the next one.

Forecast seems to put thunderstorms in the PM.. Thoughts? I imagine we will be back to New Waverly by at least 2pm or so?

Forecast seems to put thunderstorms in the PM.. Thoughts? I imagine we will be back to New Waverly by at least 2pm or so?
While that's a nice thought, I've never completed this route that fast in a mixed group. It usually ends up being an all day affair.

As mentioned by my friend who shared the route with me, conditions on this route can deteriorate when soggy. Generally not good for big bikes under these circumstances, or this with more road oriented tires.

Given that we have a coupe of bikes on street tires and one guy that will be on his first dirt ride, I'm taking that into account. I don't want anyone in over their heads.

Final weather decision will follow this afternoon. Hopefully the forecast improves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

While that's a nice thought, I've never completed this route that fast in a mixed group. It usually ends up being an all day affair.

As mentioned by my friend who shared the route with me, conditions on this route can deteriorate when soggy. Generally not good for big bikes under these circumstances, or this with more road oriented tires.

Given that we have a coupe of bikes on street tires and one guy that will be on his first dirt ride, I'm taking that into account. I don't want anyone in over their heads.

Final weather decision will follow this afternoon. Hopefully the forecast improves.

Ah okay, I guess I was a little generous! Not knowing the exact route..

Yeah things can turn south in a hurry if roads get muddy etc..

My buddy will be on his Versys 300 with stock tires, and he isn't a very experienced off road rider.

Looking forward to your call!

OK everyone, I'm getting the weather update out early so everyone can decide if they're up for the new plan. Having looked into the forecast as well as the weather history from this past week, I've decided this ride cannot proceed as presently planned.

There has been up to 2" of rain in some areas in the last week, and the forecast predicts rain in the afternoon tomorrow across the entire ride area. Given that, I'm altering this to a "Fast and Dirty Bring Your Knobbies" ride. Conditions may be wet and muddy, and we're likely to get thunderstorms after noon, so we're going to try and beat it.

The new plan is to be KSU @ 0800 from Waverly House. We'll ride fast with fewer stops so we can get through this in 4-5 hours and be back at Waverly House loading up by 1300. I suggest getting to Waverly House early and eating a good breakfast, as we will not be stopping for lunch. Planned speeds will be about 70 on pavement and I'll be trying to average 50 on the dirt and gravel.

Given this plan, the ride is no longer going to be particularly big bike, slow bike ,or beginner friendly. I regret having to make this change, as I like to include everyone. There will be another ride at a later date (hopefully with better weather!) that everyone can come on.

I'll also be making a final check this evening to make sure they don't call for the morning to be a wash as well.

Last edited:
***Ride Cancelled***

The rain is shifting more towards the morning in the forecasts, and I've gotten only negative response to the revised plan. We'll try again another day!

William
Thanks for keeping on top of this.
I look forward to riding with everyone next time.

***Ride Cancelled***

The rain is shifting more towards the morning in the forecasts, and I've gotten only negative response to the revised plan. We'll try again another day!

That 50mph avg on the dirt/gravel really caught my eye. Hitting 50 occasionally is one thing but an avg is entirely different. Will be watching for future rides, looks like single day rides are about all I can do anymore. And I always enjoy the Waverly House.

That 50mph avg on the dirt/gravel really caught my eye. Hitting 50 occasionally is one thing but an avg is entirely different. Will be watching for future rides, looks like single day rides are about all I can do anymore. And I always enjoy the Waverly House.
Yeah. That's not what I do on normal rides. But I can comfortably cruise at 50 down gravel roads. 45 is about normal for me. Highest I've hit is about 75. It's quite exciting!

I'll post up for another ride before too long. We'll just have to see what the weather does.

I am with you on this . 50mph average would be getting it all the time :eek2:

I am with you on this . 50mph average would be getting it all the time :eek2:

Too fast and totally not respecting country folks and their livestock. Not to mention STRAY DOGS, and other hazards. Want to run hard get a dirt bike or go to the track. Off the soapbox.

Maybe 50 is too fast where yall ride but around here where we ride, 50 is a little slow "most" of the time. Not neary as populated around here. We do slow down for people if theyre outside.

Last edited:
Maybe 50 is too fast where yall ride but around here where we ride, 50 is a little slow "most" of the time. Not neary as populated around here. We do slow down for people if theyre outside.

To each his own, most roads around here are posted 25 to 35 tops. I'll run 40 but try to be respectful. I usually ride sweep because I know the roads and routes, because of the "fast" guys up front I've had a gun pointed at me twice. Pretty much stay away from group rides now. Folks don't want you running down their roads with kids and livestock around. For whatever reason horses seem to hate bikes. My very first group ride a dude had an extremely loud KLR650 (like that made that pig faster), a horse literally broke through a fence. I'm glad the owner didn't find us.

And for the record it's not my ability holding me back. I want to go fast I go to the trails or TORCS and race. Same as the surface streets, they're not for racing and acting a fool.

Look at it from the ranchers eyes for a minute, you wouldn't like it either.

I usually ride sweep because I know the roads and routes, because of the "fast" guys up front I've had a gun pointed at me twice. Pretty much stay away from group rides now.

The guy didn't have a gun, but a few years ago ET750 I had the same problem riding sweep. Some angry homeowner racing into the road trying to slow us down. And I was with a slow group that year. That's part of why I quit big fast groups. I saw a lot of single fingers riding sweep.

FWIW on the first One Day ET450 we averaged close to 30 mph. Our only slowdown was 30 minutes to wolf down a chicken fried steak at the Stump and we didn't waste time chatting at fuel stops.

Yes, we can ride pretty fast around here compared to what you can pull off in East Texas. We have less population density, much longer sight lines, roads that are often straight for miles, and no long miles of sugar sand.

Thinking about it I doubt if a 50mph avg is reasonable on most E Tx paved roads bike or car. At least not the E TX I have lived in all my life. Nope, not for me.

What a judgemental lot y'all are. I make a suggestion to get something of a ride in, and y'all just go off. Next time I'll just cancel outright. Or maybe ill just stick to calling a couple friends and not bother to post anything.

What a judgemental lot y'all are. I make a suggestion to get something of a ride in, and y'all just go off. Next time I'll just cancel outright. Or maybe ill just stick to calling a couple friends and not bother to post anything.

Just post it up on the other forum. :) I'll still show up, though I'll probably be the slow guy. xD

Back