• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW - Louisville - Chicago - Route Planning.

Reaction score
First off; I don't know if I've posted this in the right place, so Mods feel free to move it if it's in the wrong place. :help:

A little introduction: I'm planning a trip from DFW to Louisville, KY then on to Chicago and then back home to DFW, in either late July or early August. It's dependent on other peoples schedules. The plan is to take a few days off, ride to a friends in Louisville to visit for a few days. Then head to Chicago to visit family. At that point, I can spend a week or two working from Chicago (I telecommute, and the rest of my team is in an office in Chicago) enjoy an annual party that my family hosts, and then head on home to Texas. (And if scheduling works out, I can stop at Indy for the MotoGP races on the way up.)

So with that, as I am beginning to plan the trip, and routes, I'm looking for any an all advice from you long haul riders. For the start of the trip, I'm planning on running up to Talamina, and hitting Hwy1 down to Mena. Seams like a pleasant way to start a trip. Being I have time, I'm trying to hit as many of the National Forests and Parks along my way to Louisville. I've done a quick mock up with Google Maps, and it's starting to look like this. Google Maps Link. To setup this route, I set Google to avoid highways, and then moved a few points to hit areas I want to go. I know I'll hot shot on I-30 out of DFW and then on up to Paris/Talamina; thus the mileage/time isn't accurate. I'll get more accurate counts as I build it out in Tyre for my GPS.

So Thoughts, advice, commentary, etc... ? And thanks in advance.

p.s. and yes I know it will be hot as all get out, heading out that time of year. Camelback, and Evap cooling vest are on the checklist. :mrgreen:

Additionally, I'll continue to update this thread with route information as I build it out, so you all can continue to critique, laugh, judge, and pile on the advice or cynicism about doing this at the hottest part of the year. :lol2:

I did this same exact thing this time last year. I went DFW>Memphis>Chicago on the way up, Worked from Chicago for 2 weeks. Then went Chicago>St Louis>Springfield>Joplin>Tulsa>DFW on the way back.

Western Arkansas and southern Missouri are beautiful. Take your time there. Southern Illinois is great too. But after that its pancake flat all the way to Chicago.

I did this same exact thing this time last year. I went DFW>Memphis>Chicago on the way up, Worked from Chicago for 2 weeks. Then went Chicago>St Louis>Springfield>Joplin>Tulsa>DFW on the way back.

Western Arkansas and southern Missouri are beautiful. Take your time there. Southern Illinois is great too. But after that its pancake flat all the way to Chicago.

Having done a similar route, any places you recommend that are a must go?

Currently I'm thinking day 1 will look like this. I still have to get my dates nailed down so I can reserve the lodge; so if I can't reserve it, this will change. That, and work out my gas/rest stops from Mena on. But if all goes well this will be day one... Google Maps

Having done a similar route, any places you recommend that are a must go?

The best I can advise is plan time to enjoy the back roads in Arkansas and places with hills. I did a lot of mine on the highway, as I wanted to make tracks. I'm planning a trip back to Arkansas to take in the sights.

I can say that the Rendezvous in Memphis is awesome. I tend to be a food tourist, so take that in mind.

Last edited:
That's part of it. I'm doing my best to stay off major highways, and take the back road scenic highways and byways. I don't care if it takes me three days to get there I want to enjoy the trip there. But on the other hand I don't have infinite time off work so I need to make tracks.

Well, This trip has finally come together, except is a little different route. I'm heading out tomorrow morning, and have until Saturday afternoon to get to Chicago.
Tomorrow is leave early, run up to McAlister, OK and stop for breakfast. Then off into Arkansas, through the forest, and staying in Hot Springs.
Tuesday is back into the forest, up to the Oark General Store for lunch, then up to Branson for the night.
Wednesday is around the lake east of Branson, then over into Mark Twain National Forest and up to Cuba, MO.
Thursday & Friday are open to go play around Mark Twain National Forest and Meramec State Park, and then make my way up to Springfield, IL.
Saturday, make my way into Chicago.
After working in Chicago for a couple of weeks, I'll be heading down to Louisville, and then making my way back however I see fit at the time. I'll have a ride report for y'all when I get back.

Have fun, be safe.

Look forward to a report ... with pics!

I can tell you about Chicago. Grew up there. Where are you staying?

I'm staying in Elgin. I've got family there. Then I'll be working from my companies offices in Saint Charles and Warrenville. I go up there every year or so to visit. I'm looking forward to some Lou Malnati's while there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou's is very good. Best crust ever.
I enjoy Chicago much more as a tourist than when I lived there.
Have an Italian beef sandwich for me at Portillo's.

Well What a trip.... A quick synopsis....
It started with a quick highway slab up to The Meeting Place in McAlister, OK for breakfast; then out 1 into AR to start the fun. Made the Oark General store for lunch day two and on into MO. Some great riding around MO and ended the week getting into Chicago Friday evening.

Two and a half weeks of working in Chicagoland and visiting family. Had a great time, and was good to get to work closely with the rest of my team that is located there. I took Thursday and Friday off before Labor Day weekend. Left Thursday afternoon for a quick slab down to Louisville, KY. Spent the weekend visiting a good friend, drinking, riding side-by-sides out in the middle of nowhere, and one visit to a whiskey distillery.

Headed out Tuesday morning and made my way across KY. Hit 129 down to Deals Gap, and into Robbinsville, NC for the night. Got rained on the next morning out the Charahola skyway and on Georgia 52. Stayed in Birmingham, and looking at the weather reports called the trip a day short, and slabbed it back from Birmingham after a quick stop by Barber.

All in all.. 5 weeks, just over 3600 miles ridden, 12 states outside Texas ridden, great weather out, some rain on the way back; and a great time was had.

And sorry Daytradder, I just never made portillos while I was in Chicagoland. But I did have an Italian beef for you while I was up there.

I;m from the Fort Hood area and I'm planning to make a trip to the Chicago area soon. Going by route of West Memphis then north. The first thing I would have reccommended on your trip wast to move away from DFW. LOL! A traffic nightmare. Glad you had a safe trip and a great time.

Never had one. It has been added to my to do's while I am there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhaaaaAaaaaaaat???? Never had one!!! Oh the humanity!!!
You're gonna want to go back a few times. And don't forget a gyro or two.

We've got family in Elgin, Bartlett, Naperville, Batavia, aurora, Chicago, lake Geneva, wis and then some. When we rode up we went north east from Springfield mo, and when we got to il we stuck to the Mississippi River for a while then headed northeast to Naperville. If you've got time while there to ride around galena, il, sw Wisconsin and into Iowa along Mississippi -do.

WhaaaaAaaaaaaat???? Never had one!!! Oh the humanity!!!
You're gonna want to go back a few times. And don't forget a gyro or two.

We've got family in Elgin, Bartlett, Naperville, Batavia, aurora, Chicago, lake Geneva, wis and then some. When we rode up we went north east from Springfield mo, and when we got to il we stuck to the Mississippi River for a while then headed northeast to Naperville. If you've got time while there to ride around galena, il, sw Wisconsin and into Iowa along Mississippi -do.

I've got family in Elgin as well. So I get up there to visit about once a year. Maybe more if work takes me up there.

I'll have to keep the Galena, IL area in mind for my next trip. I'm thinking I may ride out to Utah next year to visit some friends. So I may head over to Chicago to visit family on the way back. May try to hit that area on the way in.

Back