• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do Red bikes attract DEER

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
Yes I hit one last Sunday, Totaled My R 1200RT, but I rode it home flapping tupper ware and all. It seems that I have had many deer/antelope close calls. Pagosa Springs area: Big Buck Mule Deer pooped on my front fender, bike RED R1200RT, Near the rio frio in Texas, Bug Buck jumped game fence, then jumped over me:eek2:, bike RED and gray Moto Guzzi. Calunch NM, antelope ran down the road next to me for 1/4 mile then squeezed through fence at a full run, bike RED BMW. Near Kim Colorado, Antelope (you know the ones that don't jump fences) One jumped a fence and ran across in front of me, bike RED BMW. That's it, as soon as the wrecker picks up the RED one under my car port, no more red bikes.

At least you were still bodily able to ride it, a blessing in itself. hopefully your tiger xc isn't red...by the way, how are you liking that machine? I've been considering getting one myself.

Get a black bike and it might be a truck that pulls out it front of you next time.
Red looks better to. You need those 30 Benjamins now?

Last edited:
Hmmm :ponder:
You may have a point.
This time though i’ll be on the winning end.
Like to see a deer derail me on Brt.
Together we’ll be about 800 lbs or roiling red steel. :evil:

I have a R1150RS, can't even get 25.5 Benjamin's for it........... People afraid of a few miles..........like 103.5 K:-P

Psunami, I like the Tiger a lot, got some great bags, and now I can get a weeks groceries in one trip.

There is a guy on this forum called SilverBullet that claims his deer whistle mounted on the front of his Tenere does an excellent job of keeping the deer away from the sides of the road.

:mrgreen:

RB

There is a guy on this forum called SilverBullet that claims his deer whistle mounted on the front of his Tenere does an excellent job of keeping the deer away from the sides of the road.

Must be an imposter, I've never had one on any bike. I did buy a pair for my Voyager but never mounted them. If you want to see a whistle on a Tenere page JMZ. Lol

_

I just saw this post [emoji15] My wife sells insurance and her and the bosses swear by them . So, I figure I better mount one to keep her happy. [emoji12]

If you want to see a whistle on a Tenere page JMZ. Lol_

:lol2:

...apparently they don't work too well.

Yeah, I considered one a few years ago as many riding buddies kept having deer strikes. TexTom on the forum hit a deer at 50 MPH going to Fredericksburg in the middle of the afternoon. He woke up with a medic standing over him. It was a long and brutal recovery.

This dude hit one in the middle of a small town...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWPikOaoqs"]Deer crash[/ame]

Deer and drunks are the scary things you can't anticpate....

BTW, it is very impressive that you have 100K on your Tenere. The S10 is an awesome bike.

:sun:

RB

Last edited:
I could see where , IF , they did work , one bug in it would make it useless.

I feel bad for the dude in that video, but am I the only one who saw it coming with plenty of time to spare? Am I just too used to the yahoos driving in Dallas that I'm hyper-vigilant? lol.

Either way, I'm glad he wasn't really hurt.

My first bike was blue and white and my current one is black. Neither have seemed to attract deer. Cats are another story, though. I sometimes have random paw prints in the dust on my seat.

Yes, they do. Send them all to me and you'll be safe.

I feel bad for the dude in that video, but am I the only one who saw it coming with plenty of time to spare? Am I just too used to the yahoos driving in Dallas that I'm hyper-vigilant? lol.

Either way, I'm glad he wasn't really hurt.

My first bike was blue and white and my current one is black. Neither have seemed to attract deer. Cats are another story, though. I sometimes have random paw prints in the dust on my seat.

:thumb:

Like me, at 60 mph, that's 88 feet per second. by the time you see the deer, and comprehend what it is, if you can comprehend what it is , that takes about 1/2 a second, that's 44 feet, by the time the deer came into the video, it was closer than 44 feet, so 1/4 of a second is about all your reaction time. Slow that down to 25 mph, and you have about 36 feet per second, that would have given him about 1 second to comprehend and stop. Sorry, deer hits happen so fast most people cant react.

I've had Deer Whistles on two bikes that didn't make any difference to the deer none. I do think my single cylinder 650 bikes exhaust note did a bit to keep them away or make the run away from me.
As per color, One 1 ft miss in Arkansas (10ish AM ) and one hit in Louisiana (8:30PM ish ) on black BMW GS R11GS. Another near miss in Texas high noon Black BMW R1150GS.
Last encounter of the close kind was in the Davis Mountains of West Texas between MacDonald observatory and I-10 entering a corner and the deer jump out in front of me. Straighten up and missed the deer but crashed anyway due to hitting sand and into the rocks. That one really messed up my body and my Bandit 1250s in Red. And ended my Long Distance travel by bike due to injuries.
Just a part of life on bikes. LOL Even just missed a moose in Maine once on the R1150Gs.

Back