• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Mextrek #7, June 14th - 17th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gina and I are going to meet the group in Llano and just ride the northern part of the loop. Richard should be at the gas station at hwy 12 and Hamilton pool road.

I was curious about that. I'm assuming Gina is your wife? Does she ride with you? I'm asking because my wife would like to go in one of these rides with me but I'm not sure how it is yet to say if it's ok or not.

Gina is my girlfriend. She is SpiritAtBay on the forum. She rides a KTM690. She does not ride passenger. Does your wife ride? Some of the roads around Galeana are challenging enough that having a passenger on the bike might make it difficult to keep up with the group. There are many easier routes too.

I see. She does but she doesn't have s bike at the moment. I'm not planning to bring her to Galeana. It's my first time so I was to see how it is first before I expose her to this. I was more curious about the local rides.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I see. She does but she doesn't have s bike at the moment. I'm not planning to bring her to Galeana. It's my first time so I was to see how it is first before I expose her to this. I was more curious about the local rides.

The most challenging prt of the local rides would be the sandy spots and some of the water crossings. The routes are pretty mild other than than that. I don't see why you could not bring her along.

The most challenging prt of the local rides would be the sandy spots and some of the water crossings. The routes are pretty mild other than than that. I don't see why you could not bring her along.
Cool. We can't do it tomorrow but we'll sure try next time.

Everett is riding 2 up this Mextrek with his girl on his DR650. Slow pace, nothing difficult, would love to have another couple to ride with.

Another round of updates being made right now...

"T Minus 66 Days" update mailed out.

If you think you are on this trip, and did not get the email, well.. you're not on the trip. Call me!!!!

Last edited:
Everett is riding 2 up this Mextrek with his girl on his DR650. Slow pace, nothing difficult, would love to have another couple to ride with.

I will talk with my wife. Thanks

I have another question about my motorcycle's registration. Does the name on it have to have even the middle name? The DMV only added my initial in it.

Question about vehicle permits:

Does anyone on here have experience with later (2nd) entry- with a previously NOT cancelled/returned permit?

I was the unlucky b*****tard who was en-route to the oct 2017 MexTrek and broke down 1/2 way to Mission.

I was therefore never able to even ENTER- and when I called to ask about how to cancel the permit/regain my deposit; was told that I could only do so at the exit of the Mexican border!
Furthermore; I was told that even if I couldn’t return the permit by Nov 1 (original exit deadline); I MUST do so within 180 days or never be issued another!

..of course, I took exception to the fact that I hadn’t even ENTERED Mexico (ever!); and that I should be able to even truck the bike to the consulate in Houston and prove it.
Getting no love there; I took the advice of a colleague and contacted visa and disputed the payment! —Visa actually agreed; and are still fighting this with the respective 2 governments!

..fast forward to April; and I REALLY want to join the June and/or Oct Mextreks!

.. and thus my dilemma:

I have until the end of this month on my 180 days.
I am considering trying to ride to the border to return the permit this month- but am afraid they may impound the bike and/or detain me! (..given aforementioned stubborn idea to ‘fight the power!’ )

Has anyone been in a SOMEWHAT similar situation?

Has anyone had any experience in letting a permit lapse beyond 180 days and tried to return? (My 2nd option being to just wait until actual day of trip to try to cancel old/get new at the same time)

Thanks in advance! (And trolling not required! :P - I am kicking myself enough already! :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a guy who cancelled a forgotten truck permit from 2004 in 2016....he was lucky enough to still be driving the same dodge. 10 minutes later he had a bike permit.

The system is very straightforward. As cautioned beforehand, not making it to the border is the risk of an early permit purchase (I say this only so the other mexico newbies understand). But it is antiquated enough that after your passport expires and you get a new one the new number bypasses the old system flags and people are skirting prior obligations with a new passport and new bike.

Mexican systems are dated. They may know you disputed the charge, they may not. A smile and wink at the border works wonders, but you may be asked for cash payment to cover the old permit. The defense of ignorance of the rules is often accepted and in my opinion there is very little chance you'll be be detained or hassled. But there is always that tiny little risk so have a friend with some cash on standby.

If you want I can visit the banjercito locally and inquire more...Bajercito is the gov't banking arm charged with actong as cashier and escrow officer on TVIP transactions.

Last edited:
I will talk with my wife. Thanks

I have another question about my motorcycle's registration. Does the name on it have to have even the middle name? The DMV only added my initial in it.

Middle inital only is fine. That is SOP for AZ and TX titles and registrations as far as I know.

We had a guy who cancelled a forgotten truck permit from 2004 in 2016....he was lucky enough to still be driving the same dodge. 10 minutes later he had a bike permit.

The system is very straightforward. As cautioned beforehand, not making it to the border is the risk of an early permit purchase (I say this only so the other mexico newbies understand). But it is antiquated enough that after your passport expires and you get a new one the new number bypasses the old system flags and people are skirting prior obligations with a new passport and new bike.

Mexican systems are dated. They may know you disputed the charge, they may not. A smile and wink at the border works wonders, but you may be asked for cash payment to cover the old permit. The defense of ignorance of the rules is often accepted and in my opinion there is very little chance you'll be be detained or hassled. But there is always that tiny little risk so have a friend with some cash on standby.

If you want I can visit the banjercito locally and inquire more...Bajercito is the gov't banking arm charged with actong as cashier and escrow officer on TVIP transactions.

Thanks for the feedback, Peter.

.. this is more in line with what I have been starting to lean toward: just let the 180 days pass without action - and hope to just rectify it all at the border while applying for new one on the spot; explaining that I never even entered on the old permit...

Possible negative outcomes:
1) They refuse to issue me a permit and turn me away at the border
(No biggie; but disappointment - similar result to my last attempted visit, I guess!)

2) They realize payment for the first permit deposit is in dispute and force me to pay cash for that one AND the new deposit
(No real issue with that either - unless the visa dispute later comes back in their favor and I’ve then forfeited that deposit TWICE!)

3) They impound the bike and/or myself!
(Probably less likely as you say - and I think even less so if I am traveling with the group —-vs going down there this month and attempting it solo)

I think I’m coming around to being game to just try it in June at the border — though; if you DO have any “local Banjercito contact” available to inquire about this type of situation (...probably leaving out the part with the Visa payment dispute!) - that would also be great to gauge the possible temperature of response at border/recommended course of action.

.. I’ve spent hours here this week with a Mexican-American colleague trying to find out by phone and just ended up getting passed around in circles to different departments who wouldn’t give any advice...

Thanks for the feedback, Peter.

.. this is more in line with what I have been starting to lean toward: just let the 180 days pass without action - and hope to just rectify it all at the border while applying for new one on the spot; explaining that I never even entered on the old permit...

Possible negative outcomes:
1) They refuse to issue me a permit and turn me away at the border
(No biggie; but disappointment - similar result to my last attempted visit, I guess!)

2) They realize payment for the first permit deposit is in dispute and force me to pay cash for that one AND the new deposit
(No real issue with that either - unless the visa dispute later comes back in their favor and I’ve then forfeited that deposit TWICE!)

3) They impound the bike and/or myself!
(Probably less likely as you say - and I think even less so if I am traveling with the group —-vs going down there this month and attempting it solo)

I think I’m coming around to being game to just try it in June at the border — though; if you DO have any “local Banjercito contact” available to inquire about this type of situation (...probably leaving out the part with the Visa payment dispute!) - that would also be great to gauge the possible temperature of response at border/recommended course of action.

.. I’ve spent hours here this week with a Mexican-American colleague trying to find out by phone and just ended up getting passed around in circles to different departments who wouldn’t give any advice...

All sounds very logical.....

Can you send in a quick registration for Mextrek and I can add you to the whatsapp group discussion? Also, put Whatsapp on your phone please!!!

https://goo.gl/forms/VhAYWUYVvbFZ0Ih23

For anyone who would like to join our whatsapp group and is considering this ride just send a text to me at 281772121one and I'll add you to the group. You have to have whatsapp installed on your smartphone.

Todays discussion is about having some meetups before the trip. I am recommending to attend the Austin Thursday meet and greet, the DFW Meet and greet, and there are a couple of other riders volunteering to get together over dinner to make everyone feel welcome and informed.

The Austin m&g would normally be 5/3 but that’s the start of the TARA hill country ride so a reschedule is being discussed. Austin folks who were planning to attend that should watch that thread. I’m back in the country 5/8, so the 10th or 11th could be a possibility for me.

I just got off the phone with TrailBoss, we are going to move the monthly Austin TARA meet to Wednesday May 2 at the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant, 901 Little Texas Lane, Austin 78745 from 6 - 8 pm. Anyone in the Austin area that has questions or just wants to talk about Mexico ADVing please come to the meeting. Normally, monthly meetings are on Thursdays, but this one moved up a day so riders attending TAR on Thursday could still make the meeting.

I'm signed up but I no longer have my WR450F shown in my photo.
I'll be on a beast F800GS so I'll probably want to stay away from the serious technical stuff!
Bob and I will meet up with you guys on the 13th in Mission.

With TAR being cancelled due to the weather, the Austin meet and greet will be on Thursday of this week.

Hey Gang,

We're 38 days out from this trip!!! Please take a moment to check passport, bike registration, and driver license expiration for validity.

With the small number of riders and the long summer days on this trip we will have a blast and do a lot of exploratory trips. I have a short bucket list of things to see and do that on busy trips I put aside:

God's Eye (Ojo de Dios?): Hopefully ride up to, but if not possible, hike up to "God's Eye". This is a natural bridge at the top of a very high mountain ridge about 20 miles north of Rayones on the Rio Pilon, aka Pylon River. We've looked up at on the ride to Monterrey and wondered.

Unnamed Cave: About a half mile from Punta de Dios, the natural arch under the road from Galeana to Rayones, is a huge cave in the valley. A perceptive rider spotted a mexican family with picnic basket exiting the immediate area.

Unnamed Cave / Waterfall #2: North of Rayones is cave, and waterfall, dumping into Rio Pilon. There are also river cabins in the valley below. Goal is to check out the cabins for a future stay there and hike up to the waterfall and cave.

Golf Ball: I've never made it up to the top of Cerro Potosi. 2018 goal is to learn the "Back Way" up and gps document the trail, names, and landmarks for use in future guidebooks.

Road of Death: If the rainy season holds off I'm going to rerun the road of death. If rainy, I'll at least ride to Rancho Viejo and see how much farther I can go. What is it, 30 crossings in 20 km or something crazy like that. I recall it is like riding a motorcycle up Barton Creek Greenbelt, only legally.

What about you guys?

Also, did anyone meet up at the Austin meet and greet to talk Mextrek?

Good news reported from a Mextrek#7 rider currently in Puerta Vallarta, the Mexican Peso is changing hands at 19.5 to the dollar!!! This trip cost just went down 10%!

Road of Death: If the rainy season holds off I'm going to rerun the road of death. If rainy, I'll at least ride to Rancho Viejo and see how much farther I can go. What is it, 30 crossings in 20 km or something crazy like that. I recall it is like riding a motorcycle up Barton Creek Greenbelt, only legally.

You're going to need at least a 3 man crew to get the bikes past the Drowning Pool again

:giveup:

Well dang, it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make this round. I have a big project on the horizon that we are trying to open by July 1st and this will happen right in the middle of crunch time. :giveup:
I am fine with applying my registration towards MexTrek #8 and if something breaks in the next couple weeks I may chime back in and say I'm back in the chase. I haven't made room reservations but I did go ahead and get set up with the Baoefeng Radio and accoutrements. I would like to test them out at some point if someone in the Austin area has time to play radio check.

I'm not going to be able to make Mextrek #7, but I am in for #8. Please apply my $ to #8. :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back