• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

**ALERT**ALERT** Clark!!!

Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Miller
The deal of a life time!!! This is a "sign" that's telling us all to go ride soon!!! :rofl:

b263699_14.jpg

Now I'm just scared. I'll be packing a lunch on my next dirt outing with y'all...

Now I'm just scared. I'll be packing a lunch on my next dirt outing with y'all...

Speaking of that, what are you doing on Monday? I'm trying to scare up some riders for a Cherokee trip. It's posted in the Offroad section.

Was scheduled to ride the (paved) track @ TWS, but I'm cancelling that so I can head to San Antonio. Next time.

Speaking of that, what are you doing on Monday? I'm trying to scare up some riders for a Cherokee trip. It's posted in the Off-road section.
Having just acquired a KLR 650 I am interested in checking out Cherokee. However, because I am new to riding off road this would be a confidence builder event for me. I would not want to hold back more experience riders.

Are you guys trailering it up or will you be riding your bikes up?

Will you be camping overnight?
:sun:

Having just acquired a KLR 650 I am interested in checking out Cherokee. However, because I am new to riding off road this would be a confidence builder event for me. I would not want to hold back more experience riders.

Kurt had his big pig out there, so I think you'll be Ok on the KLR if you stick to what they refer to as "roads" in the park. To me and Kurt, they were just wide trails with no trees. ;-)

If you feel adventurous, you can try an easy trail or a quad trail. I went for an easy trail on the 400 and it was a little tight for my liking being so new.

Thanks, Rebecca. This makes me feel better about my first time out. I'm so looking forward to trying this little beast out. Before I came across this thread, I was giving some thought to going to Cherokee during the week by myself just to get the feel of the KLR.

It is going in to the Kawa dealer Friday morning for full 4,000 mile service. Even though it only has 3,604 miles on it, it has been sitting in a garage for the past year and a half so I decided to have all the fluids changed out. It's also getting the Kenda street knobbies replaced with Avon 90/10's. I hope the Avons will be good for Cherokee. We'll see. I may wish I had left the knobbies on after riding Cherokee on the Avons.

When you went last time, did you camp overnight?

No, but only because nobody else was. I love camping.

There's plenty of places to set up camp, but it's also a working ranch with cattle and the owner DOES NOT cut the horns onhis bulls. I have no idea how close they get to the house. There are bathrooms with showers, but no electricity or water apart from that AFAIK.

I wish I could meet y'all - don't forget to take lots of pics and tell us how it goes! :rider:

I may try and make it. It all depends on the family. If I go this time I will actually try and park with you guys:rider:

Thanks, Rebecca. This makes me feel better about my first time out. I'm so looking forward to trying this little beast out. Before I came across this thread, I was giving some thought to going to Cherokee during the week by myself just to get the feel of the KLR.

It is going in to the Kawa dealer Friday morning for full 4,000 mile service. Even though it only has 3,604 miles on it, it has been sitting in a garage for the past year and a half so I decided to have all the fluids changed out. It's also getting the Kenda street knobbies replaced with Avon 90/10's. I hope the Avons will be good for Cherokee. We'll see. I may wish I had left the knobbies on after riding Cherokee on the Avons.

Okay, just to set expectations. Many of the trails at Cherokee are tight. With the KLR you will find that the roads are what you ride. Maybe parts of the mx track. Yeah, it's not a big jump sort of track. It is open and quad width and has bypasses for the jumps so it can be comfortable for a beginner. There are also parts of other trails that could be doable. However, I would seriously consider leaving the kenda's on until after this ride. The Avon's will not do well out there.

No, but only because nobody else was. I love camping.

There's plenty of places to set up camp, but it's also a working ranch with cattle and the owner DOES NOT cut the horns onhis bulls. I have no idea how close they get to the house. There are bathrooms with showers, but no electricity or water apart from that AFAIK.

I wish I could meet y'all - don't forget to take lots of pics and tell us how it goes! :rider:

I think there are a couple of hookups out there for RV's, but I don't know where they are.

I may try and make it. It all depends on the family. If I go this time I will actually try and park with you guys:rider:

Yeah since I won't be there you can join the group........... :mrgreen:

Sure wish I could join y'all for the ride but I'll be getting off work at 05:00 Monday morning and won't be hitting on all cylinders or at least enough cylinders to join the group.

Okay, just to set expectations. Many of the trails at Cherokee are tight. With the KLR you will find that the roads are what you ride. Maybe parts of the mx track. Yeah, it's not a big jump sort of track. It is open and quad width and has bypasses for the jumps so it can be comfortable for a beginner. There are also parts of other trails that could be doable. However, I would seriously consider leaving the kenda's on until after this ride. The Avon's will not do well out there.

Have to agree with Rusty. I would like to add one comment or maybe two. After you get a little comfortable on the KLR you might try the quad (family?) trail. It is fairly wide (quad trail) and has a thrill factor that can make it enjoyable for a new rider. As far as the MX track goes, don't worry about the jumps, in most cases they can be rolled or bypassed and can be fun to ride. As far as tires go, I'm 100% behind what Rusty said. You do not want to go with the Avon's for your first ride off-road.

Rusty, thanks for the info & advice. After giving more thought to this, I probably should make my maiden voyage during the week when not all the Labor Day crowd are there. I am retired so the a weekday will be doable for me.

Rusty, thanks for the info & advice. After giving more thought to this, I probably should make my maiden voyage during the week when not all the Labor Day crowd are there. I am retired so the a weekday will be doable for me.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Just giving you a heads up on the Avon's and the trails. Don't worry about it being too crowded. There might be more that on a normal summer weekend, but most of the places around here don't get crowded except when in the spring when it starts warming up and in the fall when it starts cooling down.

I'll be glad to give you pointers and show you around. I might even haul my DRZ along as an extra bike. That way you could see what its like on your bike, then a bike with knobbies.

Also, you probably don't want to go out there during the week. Nobody will be there and if you fall if may be a while before Lee (the manager) comes looking for you. Better to have some company to help pick it up, gives pointers and take pictures.

The bike is scheduled for service tomorrow, but I just had to ride it. I rode to my mail box and swung around back to my cabin. Took it about 1200 to 1500 feet out into the pasture. This thing is just like riding a bicycle compared to the VTX and the Goldwing. I mean like it's a blast to ride.

On the chip asphalt it didn't track all that well, but on the grass, 3/4" to dust base, and rough pasture, it's a dream. This may be due to the somewhat low tire pressure. I could tell the tire flattened out pretty good when I was on asphalt. It is surprisingly stable and easy to balance.

Did I say torque? I was again surprised at the amount of torque it has.

Did I say it is high? Yep, but just like when I rode bicycles that were too tall, I just threw my left leg over & gave a little hop to mount & then everything was cool. I had no problem shifting with my elevated super thick sole boots.

I think I will leave the DOT knobbies on for now & trailer the bike or ramp it into the back of my P/U. I'll mount the Gripsters I ordered on another set of wheels to use for long road trips.

Rusty, Your trip to Cherokee is a Monday only, right? What time do you plan to be there? Do y'all like bring sack lunches & ride all day? Maybe I should ask what you do about lunch, etc.?

It's about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour ride for me. From San Marcos, I shoot up 21 to 36 & up to Milano.

Do y'all like bring sack lunches & ride all day? Maybe I should ask what you do about lunch, etc.?

If you're not careful, you'll end up eating the "funny" hot dogs with the rest of 'em! (Check out the first post in the thread)

I'll be there around 8am. Beige ford 150 4-door with a black utility trailer behind it. Should be in the trees just past the house where you check it. We'll try and carve out some space there. I'll have a blue WR250 and a yellow/black DRZ 400.

Yes, I usually make some sandwiches at home and eat out there. Some people bring small grills and cook hot dogs and hamburgers, but I don't have one.

Bring lots of cool water to drink. I usually have a camelback for on the trail with gatorade and drink water back at the trucks.

I ride until I've had enough. Either too sore or too hot. Then I sit around and talk with whoever's kitchen pass hasn't run out yet. So I usually head out between 3 and 6 in the afternoon.

It is confirmed that now I can go!
8:00AM is a little too early for me, so will be there sometime between 9:00 & 10:00.

Thanks!
Ken

Tim, are you gonna make it? I am supposed to be in galveston then but I may be able to swing it. I also have a spare bike now, a KDX220.
Squeaky,I still have your chair...

As much as I'd love to go... as of right now, I don't think I can make it happen. I'll let you know for sure by Sunday morning.

Back