• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend and Davis Mountains, Nov. 14-17

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Lane
Some of you guys and gals know me from the RMAR RDV in Colorado and our PtoP rides. You also know that I am from Texas and still have all of my family living in the state, which allows me to come back once or twice a year for a ride. This year, it will be Big Bend and the Davis Mountains, November 14-17.

If any of you are riding that weekend and you see a couple of KTM950's and a blue Vstrom, it will be me, my friend JB and my brother, Jim. (I am particularly stoked about riding with my brother, as he is just getting into adventure riding this year.) Hope to run in to some of you. Here is our route....out and back from Midland.

We will enjoy a nights camping at our old family ranch outside of Alpine. Then a spin through the Davis mountains on pavement. Then out west past Valentine and down the Chispa Road. Then into BBRSP for a little riding and our second night of tent camping. Then down the paved River Road to the National Park. Then down to Santa Elena Canyon overlook and down the dirt, River Road to Rio Grande Village for the third night. Finally on Sunday, we will run north, back to Midland.

Really looking forward to the whole experience.

BBTrip_zps0b8b7eea.jpg

IMG_0441_zps02bc6998.jpg

That's a fantastic loop, bring all of Big Bend area into play. Very cool you will make it into BBRSP for a night!

Your group puts on some fantastic rides also.

Looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing some great Big Bend pictures.

That will be a great ride. I just got back from the National Park last week. Mostly pavement, this time. Last time we did Old Maverick to Santa Elena Canyon, River Road East and West and then Old Ore Road. I rode the Davis Mountain route out of Alpine to Fort Davis and then up to Balmorhea and back down to 67 from I-10 on Hovey Road. I do not see Pinto Canyon on your route. You really should work that in. The Canyon is absolutely beautiful. Also, coming out of Rio Grande Village you should take Old Ore Road out to the hwy.

I recently moved to Alpine from Fort Stockton and really like it here.

I just found this post. How was your trip? The Big Bend area is my favorite place to ride because of the open spaces. However, a choice between riding in Big Bend or Silverton, CO would be a difficult one. :rider: I am planning on heading back to Terlingua in February or March, depending on the weather.

I'm heading to Terlingua in the morning. Will be there a week or thereabouts. Come on out. Weather should be grand. H b

Well....we didn't do the Chispa ride....... Time and "stuff" kept our adventure to a traditional route from Presidio to Marfa.

DSCF0465_zps47117285.jpg

DSCF0469_zps4e7eedba.jpg

Back