• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lead, Glorious Lead (Wheel Weights)

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
I go through about 4 tires per year. I was running low on balance weights, and started looking around the internet to order more. These days, the commercially available supply seems to be made only of steel, or, hold your nose, zinc.

Finally, on eBay, I found the real thing. Do a search for "lead stick on wheel weights". I bought enough to last well into my son's lifetime. Get 'em while you can.

Not a surprise given the bad rep lead has for the environment (right or wrong).
I try to salvage the weights at a tire change and reuse them. 3m heavy duty mounting tape is available at the big orange box and it works very well to attach the weights to wheels.

I believe the EPA has outlawed teh use of lead for wheel weights. This is partly what lead to the demise of Exide because their cheap, plentiful supply of used wheel weight lead dried up.

I believe the EPA has outlawed teh use of lead for wheel weights. This is partly what lead to the demise of Exide because their cheap, plentiful supply of used wheel weight lead dried up.

exide is still in business making low grade junk batteries.

lead stick on weights are still made but getting more and more expensive.

steel weights work just fine and are now coming powder coated in different colors to blend in with wheel colors.

OR, use ceramic balance beads! Been using them in the Bandit for 7:eek2: years with great results.:zen:

Back