• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bell MIPS System

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
Seems I have every kind of helmet on my shelf except an ADV one so I guess I need to make a purchase.

So far, I think I'm going to buy the Bell MX-9 Adventure MIPS DLX

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mx-9-adventure-mips-dlx-helmet

The MIPS (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System) is one of the reasons I'm considering it. It seems like a step forward in protection and the rest of the helmet appears to be well thought out but I'm undecided if I think it's really a breakthrough or just a gimmick.

Has anyone heard anything about it good or bad? Reviews on a few sites about the helmet seem to be good, but it's new so it can only have been used for a short while and I haven't seen anyone that has actually crashed in it and done a review.

Bell typically fits my head ok. I've been buying Shoei, but Bell has stepped up their game in recent years and so I'm leaning that way.

I can't speak for the mips as I opted not to buy that due to cost. I will say however that I love my helmet. It is super comfortable and I really like having the chin guard out further than the typical full face street helmet. I road for years with a dirt bike helmet and goggles to remedy this. I can't say it's the quietest but I have never had quieter. Overall it is great and I have it in safety yellow. People do double takes seeing the bright color.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
f2ee9c0c7646f378c256f3ddbb6af12f.jpg

Here's a review of a different Bell helmet with that MIPS stuff:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z76gyu31tmg"]Most Underpriced Motorcycle Helmets of 2017 - YouTube[/ame]

I have an MX-9 ADV ... not the MIPS version, though.

I too have a Shoei head and my Bell fits my bell about the same and in the same size.

Flows a bunch of air which is great, except in Jan and Feb. I keep a balaclava in my riding jacket.

The Bell is much, much noisier than the GT-Air.

My $.02 ...

Not to hijack the post but I take it shoei fits about the same as the Bell MX9? The shoei have been out of my price range in years past but I sure would like something a bit quieter for a long trip.
I wear an XXL on my Bell and it fit really well. I have had a horrible time finding helmets that fit that don't require modifications which I know is a bad idea.

They have had MIPS in mountain bike helmets for years and I have had a Troy Lee Helmet with it. You don’t notice it at all and it adds a little more protection for specific types of crashes, so I don’t see it as a must have but my guess is someday it will be standard on all helmets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the post but I take it shoei fits about the same as the Bell MX9? The shoei have been out of my price range in years past but I sure would like something a bit quieter for a long trip.
I wear an XXL on my Bell and it fit really well. I have had a horrible time finding helmets that fit that don't require modifications which I know is a bad idea.

The Bell MX9 is not a quiet helmet according to reviews. It has really good airflow but that makes it noisy.

I wear earplugs or noise cancelling headphones when I ride so it's not a concern for me and I'd rather have the air.

What concerns me a bit is not being able to stop the air. When it gets really hot, like over 100, you want to be able to stop the blow dryer as the ventilation actually makes you hotter.

But...until then or at lower speeds on dirt roads, ventilation is a good thing.

Thanks all for the feedback. Sounds like a decent option for the money and I do like the built in transition shield and MIPS can't hurt.

I'm going to get one and hope it's what I'm wanting.

That is actually a very good price with the included transitions shield. I have on on my RF1200 and it's pretty nice.

I have owned four. Yes, the are loud, but they have good air flow. I really like them. After my huge crash last year(while wearing my MX-9), someone on ADVrider clued me in that Bell will give a discount if you buy from them again. I called Bell directly, and they gave me 30%.

Back