• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MC Camping on the Cheap

1270485530-Svea_123r_opt.jpg

Any thoughts on these? I've about decided on this for my needs due to fuel availability.

GREAT PIECE OF KIT!

will burn just about any petro/liquid...

somewhat adjustable flame

anvil simple

comes w/ cleaning/maintenance kit

get a plastic eye/fuel dropper from REI to charge the priming bowl and skip the extr***** pump

just DON'T LEAVE THE KEY ATTACHED DURING USE!!!

they are NOT CHEAP but could be the only single burner you or your grandchildren ever have to buy

sw

just DON'T LEAVE THE KEY ATTACHED DURING USE!!!
why? does it get too hot or become difficult to remove due to expansion or what?

In other news, received the ALPS tent mentioned earlier and unpacked and set it up in the living room, seems pretty well made, time will tell, I will post up pics later. I now understand how they make them lighter and why they recommend and sell ground cloths (thin floors). I hear tyvek house wrap makes a lightweight nearly indestructible ground cloth, so gotta scrounge a chunk of that. Aluminum poles are interesting as Ive never seen the smaller ones like this. Might have to use the tent this weekend! One other mention, I was under the mistaken idea that these were actually American made, but it says china on the box, dang it! I guess most of them are.

why? does it get too hot or become difficult to remove due to expansion or what?

In other news, received the ALPS tent mentioned earlier and unpacked and set it up in the living room, seems pretty well made, time will tell, I will post up pics later. I now understand how they make them lighter and why they recommend and sell ground cloths (thin floors). I hear tyvek house wrap makes a lightweight nearly indestructible ground cloth, so gotta scrounge a chunk of that. Aluminum poles are interesting as Ive never seen the smaller ones like this. Might have to use the tent this weekend! One other mention, I was under the mistaken idea that these were actually American made, but it says china on the box, dang it! I guess most of them are.

¿ WHY ?

if you leave it in place while the burner is on grabbing it will BURN A KEY IMPRESSION ON YOUR FINGERS :eek2:

guess you could use your multi tool to pull it off

old billboard sign material makes a good groundcloth, too

if you want to go the TYVEK route, look in construction areas for crews that are wrapping houses and ask the foreman for scraps

just remember, the groundcloth/ground sheet is there to protect your floor from punctures so it really needs to be there

¿ PICS ?

sw

These are cheaper. And your friends would be SO envious.... :trust:

Attachments

• ForeverLazy Pajamas.jpg
    ForeverLazy Pajamas.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 214
the ULTRA LIGHT back packers, sometymes, cut a regular sleeping bag in 1/2 and install a simple draw string

they will pull this up to their waist and sleep in their coat.

That and the bunny suit linked above seems like maximum overkill for MC camping IMO. Also doesn't look very comfortable either. Unless you're a hiker or bicyclist also and have paid out the high cost for premium ultra light gear already.

I mean us folks here are camping on tanks anyway. V-Strom, GS, KLR, DR, etc. Would another 10-20 lbs make any difference really on a 350 to 575 lb bike? Compact is nice and I will pay a slight premium for it up to a point. But a pair of panniers and a large duffel bag on the rear rack or seat will allow you to pack enough for a RTW trip let alone a few days/weeks out exploring.

_

the ULTRA LIGHT back packers, sometymes, cut a regular sleeping bag in 1/2 and install a simple draw string

they will pull this up to their waist and sleep in their coat

sw

There's a whole subclass of backpacking known as "fastpacking." It's popular with folks who want to cover more miles on limited time. In order to do so, they limit themselves to as little as 20 lbs, which is really minimal in the backpacking world. I can see where one of these would fit their style.

That and the bunny suit linked above seems like maximum overkill for MC camping IMO. Also doesn't look very comfortable either.
_

What??? You don't like the bunny suit? And I was going to bring mine to the Stromathon.

Seriously, I pretty much agree with you on comfort, but more from the perspective that part of sleep is the psychology of feeling appropriately cuddled, for lack of a better word. Sleeping in a big overstuffed coverall might be warm, but it wouldn't feel right.

I've been using my FirstGear winter suit for about four years now. That along with my 2.8 lb Solitaire single man tent have gotten me through many adventures.
It's what I'll use on my trip to the Kermit Sand dunes this coming week.
The suit has the built in Tri-facta. Moto winter suit, extremely water resistent, and a sleeping bag that moves with you. I've tested into the 30's with no issues. It's a space saver also cause you don't need to bring a sleeping bag :)
And it's extremely light for water/winter protection.
I've only missed one riding day this winter because of that suit. I highly recommend one for the lighter is faster adventure freak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 189
I am of the belief that MC camping on the cheap is best achieved in less than inclement weather. No need for special tents, heavy bags, and winter gear if you pick the right weather.

Just a thought after the last few posts. Spring is coming!

Just saying it can be cheaper when warmer if on 2 wheels.

Riding is also more fun for those of us on naked bikes.

Cheap in winter can mean bike in the bed along with all the heavy (and warm) stuff. No need to miss anything and still be cheap!

I've been using my FirstGear winter suit for about four years now. That along with my 2.8 lb Solitaire single man tent have gotten me through many adventures.
It's what I'll use on my trip to the Kermit Sand dunes this coming week.
The suit has the built in Tri-facta. Moto winter suit, extremely water resistent, and a sleeping bag that moves with you. I've tested into the 30's with no issues. It's a space saver also cause you don't need to bring a sleeping bag :)
And it's extremely light for water/winter protection.
I've only missed one riding day this winter because of that suit. I highly recommend one for the lighter is faster adventure freak.

I remember you talking about this before. I have a one piece FS riding suit but mine is very heavy. I know my sleeping bag and mattress are lighter than the suit. Might want to try it one winter,just to see if I could sleep in it.

It's just another option. Not for everyone. I move a lot when I sleep so it moves with me, great for cold conditions.

Was way too busy at work to make your last camp out. Was wanting too. Looks like it was another great success with great food. I'll catch you again sometime soon on my route :)

Do you use a air mattress also when you use the one piece? Not sure how bulky yours is but mine is heavy and bulky. Only rode with it twice now it was in the back of the closet. My issue was it is more difficult to gear up with the one piece as opposed to a jacket and riding pants. Will give it a whirl for next winter as I move around all night also. Never really comfortable.

I use a Thermarest. Simply the best I've seen. My Firstgear rolls up into about half the size of the most common sleeping bag.
It's almost completely rain proof and warm down to 17 degrees that I've tested so far. Problem is if it's in the 50's you gotta be rolling or it's too warm. So it's mostly a winter camping setup.

If I'm in the Jeep I might spring for the space an airmatress eats up but on the bike I keep it to inflatable sleeping pads. Even the cheap ones from Academy take up less space than the air matresses and IMO are much more comftrable than any air matress I've slept on.

If using a roof rack, I've seen people weld on retractable hooks for hammocks. Can't get much better than that. Do it right and you have a lean-to as well.

We all kind of got a hoot out of that old magazine about camping, thought I would post this civil war era camping video since I love the history too:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9YXe0bcOZw"]Bedroll & Haversack Camping, 1877 Advice from a Civil War Veteran - YouTube[/ame]

Back