• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

big bend

Reaction score
just a question about the Big bend area. have been thru pinto canyon road a few years back, in the truck, awesome scenery. Can river road east and west be done by a standard truck? what other cool dirt roads take you up thru the mountains etc that can be done by a truck.
michael

Here is the sign at the west entrance.

113_1353%201280_zpsevebtbhp.jpg

Been down the road many times and don't feel it is necessary, especially since the park is keeping these roads maintained more these days. Tires might be you worst worry, passenger car tires don.t stand up to thorns and cactus spines. Also clearance should be considered, there a a couple steps that could shine up the underside a little on a low truck or adjust your step boards a little if you have them. Don't think I would try it in the hot season.

River Road is fine. Did it in a stock 2 wheel drive trailblazer years ago. Same with a lot of the other roads in the park. The only road I'd want more clearance and probably 4x4 on is Black Gap road which as far as I know isn't maintained unless that's changed in the last two years.

If rain in last 72 hours, you'll need a tank to get through river road. Otherwise, a 2 wd is just barely enough for most of it. 4 wd is recommended. From the East side of the park you can get to Mariscal Mine in a 2WD with only a few loose stone river crossings you can skate over with a little speed. not for the faint of heart, but a 4WD will come by at least 5 times a day if you do get stuck....on River Road.

Pinto is a cake walk compared to River Road. I rode a street tired motard up Pinto with no issues, carving my way around. On River Road the next day I got bogged down in deep silt on an uphill and had to turn around and take another run at it. A bigger bike than my DRZ400 would have been stuck on street tires.

Back