• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ROLL THE BONES RALLY 7: GET LUCKY...October 28-30, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No issues registering, that i know of. I thinks im good.
When is the vid being made? I may have a new to me drz to ride this weekend. :p
And Im a "single man" all weekend. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a little funky for me and I even tried another browser. I couldn't put my stuff in the cart, register with the site and checkout like you should be able to. In the end I registered with the site first then put by stuff in the cart - I still couldn't go directly to checkout, but I was able to select the cart and then checkout. It took a little fumbling around, but it worked in the end.

as in Lock up the goats & horses, Boyz, Snappster's on the prowl? :eek2:

Lol! Thats just wrong.
But my new horse better watch out!
Might have to put er to a test.
The wife and tater tot are in Cali for a week, so im a free range chicken!

Yeah, it was . . . . but it was funny and I couldn't resist.

Maybe up to Red River?

Not sure about red river. Never been. Isn't that place packed with crazed professionals flying around on 200lb or less bikes?

Not sure about red river. Never been. Isn't that place packed with crazed professionals flying around on 200lb or less bikes?

Dunno, never been either except to check out just where it was, and that was in the middle of a Monsoon that washed the roads out on the North side of Muenster. I expect it's more likely to be a bunch of 10yo future professionals who are fearless and bulletproof, flying around WFO on teeny smokers, yelling "Outta the Way, Grampa, if you don't want knobby tracks up your back!"

IOW . . . FUN!
For onlookers with video cameras!

Looking forward to my first RTB ride! Still looking for a bike as well so praying that I have one then. If anyone knows of a good one someone is trying to sell, please send them my way! I assume its way more fun riding it then sitting around the campsite waiting on your buddies to get back! :doh:

Looking forward to my first RTB ride! Still looking for a bike as well so praying that I have one then. If anyone knows of a good one someone is trying to sell, please send them my way! I assume its way more fun riding it then sitting around the campsite waiting on your buddies to get back! :doh:

Oh we can find you bike before then! What are you looking for, & what kind of budget?

Well I need it to be street legal obviously, but good on the dirt and trail as well. My buddy has a WR 450 that he rides on these types of rides and with racks, can pack it on. I'm not necessarily looking for something that can go 70-80 miles an hour down the interstate but want something that's OK on basic roads/highways and dirt roads. Something like the KLX, WR or DRZ I assume would be good. I have been scouring craigslist and A couple of other forums for this type of bike. I would like to stay between 3k and 3500.

I would really like for it to be turnkey and already ready to ride. I know I'm asking for the moon but this is my first foray into this.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to having a good time at the ride in October!

I want something more off road oriented, but is street legal. The WR, KLX and DRZ's all seem to fit the bill. Looking for 400cc to 450cc.

Hi all,

I've been lusting after dual sport riding pretty much since I first threw my leg over the DR almost exactly 2 years ago. The itch got worse after my partner and I read Two Texans ride the TAT. That kicked us into gear and we decided we are doing the TAT. We bought the WR just for it. However, a new job, a move and a work in progress house sale has delayed us from getting going on building up our off road skills.

I've been trying to find more info on the RTB rally to determine if this is something a beginner can do. I see info about there being more than one route, but not what kind of skill levels would be expected. I also can't tell what kind of packing would be required. Is it three days of riding such that you'd be camping on the route? Or is it always a return to basecamp at night? Thanks.

I want something more off road oriented, but is street legal. The WR, KLX and DRZ's all seem to fit the bill. Looking for 400cc to 450cc.
I've had no problem off road with it.
It was at Roll the Bones last year.:rider:

Last edited:

There are some nice dr650's on craigs list. I know your looking for smaller, but i hear they are quite nimble. Not single track bikes though. Not for my skills anyways.
I almost considered one. Still may be a choice if my deal falls through this weekend for some reason. But im coming from a klr650 new edition.

Hi all, ...

Hi, gt! And :welcome:

,,, I've been trying to find more info on the RTB rally to determine if this is something a beginner can do. I see info about there being more than one route, but not what kind of skill levels would be expected. I also can't tell what kind of packing would be required. Is it three days of riding such that you'd be camping on the route? Or is it always a return to basecamp at night? Thanks.

In TWT parlance, "Rally" does not mean something like Dakar, but rather more like "Rally 'round the flag, Boys! And where's that jerk who went to get more beer a half-hour ago? Better send out a Search Party! What? No one's sober enough to ride? Imagine that!"

I only started riding offroad year before last; I'm ancient, overweight, and outta shape; and I ain't dead yet. If something looks too difficult, or if you're just thirsty, head back to the barn. If you don't return to Rally HQ each day, someone else will eat your portion(s) of the goodies.

IOW, you'll have a good time even if the weather suggests ark-building might be appropriate and you never even take your bike off the trailer.

Last edited:
Hi, gt! And :welcome:

In TWT parlance, "Rally" does not mean something like Dakar, but rather more like "Rally 'round the flag, Boys! And where's that jerk who went to get more beer a half-hour ago? Better send out a Search Party! What? No one's sober enough to ride? Imaging that!"

I only started riding offroad year before last; I'm ancient, overweight, and outta shape; and I ain't dead yet. If something looks too difficult, or if you're just thirsty, head back to the barn. If you don't return to Rally HQ each day, someone else will eat your portion(s) of the goodies.

IOW, you'll have a good time even if the weather suggests ark-building might be appropriate and you never even take your bike off the trailer.
Thanks garfey. To all.. any pointers on must have gear and packing items for this event? I'm already an accomplished camper, and have a full complement of street ATGATT supplies, as well as the stock toolkits on the DR and WR (which is what we'd be bringing).. . But I haven't started building the off road supplies/gear yet.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Abrasion resistant gear and good boots will work fine, as the routes are laid out on county roads. Be it known that some of the roads have not seen a maintainer in years sometimes. Spare tubes or good patch kit and simple tools are a good idea.

I have ridden all except for a few areas on a Guzzi with a sidecar, but do not expect it to be any where near smoth.

What part of Tejas are you located in?

Last edited:
Thanks garfey. To all.. any pointers on must have gear and packing items for this event? I'm already an accomplished camper, and have a full complement of street ATGATT supplies, as well as the stock toolkits on the DR and WR (which is what we'd bringing).. . But I haven't started building the off road supplies/gear yet.

Last year, the Roll the Bones rally was my introduction to dual sport riding. It quickly became obvious that I was not prepared for the sport. I hadn't even ridden much street in the previous two years and my gear was not organized, didn't fit and I even forgot I had some stuff. I hadn't traveled in 5 or more years and basic travel items were not easily assembled. The weather helped to demonstrate just how unprepared I was. I spent all last winter remedying that situation.

If you are well prepared to camp and have been riding regularly, you are way ahead of where I was then both in appropriate gear and motorcycles. This will be a good opportunity to see what others have and use, and it will give you some ideas about more specialized stuff you might want. You'll do fine

Also, we usually have some half day off road classes in a sand pit. Kinds of gives you an introduction. At this point, I don't know if we will have them yet or not. Ghostrider will chime in an let us know.

As far as routes, expect three routes usually. One with as much dirt as possible, one with mixed dirt and pavement, and one all pavement. Usually there is a bypass for the really bad sections.

Abrasion resistant gear and good boots will work fine, as the routes are laid out on county roads. Be it known that some of the roads have not seen a maintainer in years sometimes. Spare tubes or good patch kit and simple tools are a good idea.

I have ridden all except for a few areas on a Guzzi with a sidecar, but do not expect it to be any where near smoth.

What part of Tejas are you located in?
Definitely have those gear items, just not dual sport specific ones. Also have the spare tube, but haven't had to change one before. Somewhere in the internet I saw a hint that this event might have a motorcycle maintenance type class, which I would haul up from Austin just to do. When we bought the WR, I committed to doing our own maintenance. Have already done an oil change, and changed out a fuel inlet filter on the DR.

Also, we usually have some half day off road classes in a sand pit. Kinds of gives you an introduction. At this point, I don't know if we will have them yet or not. Ghostrider will chime in an let us know.
We would be very interested in that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back