• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding a vintage?

Those Sl350 exhausts have been out of stock at Marbles for two years.

1972 Rickman / Montesa 250 VMX - original & unrestored, apart from a Honda XL250 front fender, and a set of shocks I had on hand to replace the sacked units that were on the bike when I got it. I had the pleasure of lining up behind Dave Aldana at the 2008 AHRMA Sandia Classic VMX in Albuquerque (Sportsman 250), and took 2nd place. My one and only VMX race in my lifetime.
335080400.jpg

1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado w/ Cozy convertible sidecar, unrestored (sidecar added new in 2005).
342322773.jpg

1975 Norton Commando 850 Interstate MkIII - original apart from the electronic ignition and "peashooter" mufflers (originals in boxes on the shelf); unrestored (apart from a new seat cover and tires).

This is my trustiest classic bike, I can hop on it and ride at 80MPH all day with a few stops for gas, food, and potty breaks...
183136443.jpg

Original Norton America monoshock New Commando prototype, made from the only remaining parts Kenny Dreer had on hand after selling the Norton brand to Stuart Garner, including the one-of-a-kind monoshock swingarm and tight-tuck hand bent exhaust pipes. It's got the Dreer VR "big bearing" swingarm spindle conversion, all Sparx electronics, hand wired with individually fused circuits, ZX6 front end, Dreer VR front spool hub for double floating disc brakes, MkIII rear end w/ disc brake and one-piece rear axle, Clubman Racing rearset controls retrofit to right-foot shift, FCR flat slide carbs, the same Blue bodywork that was on the original prototype bike (including Acerbis fuel cell with fiberglass shell, and leather upholstered boat-tail seat), Michelin tires on drop center Excel rims laced by Buchanan's, Barnett clutch plates, and a big ol' AGM battery under the tail. The engine is an otherwise stock 850 e-start Commando MkIII.
376452458.jpg

"...and now for some Japanese..."

From this point on, I personally don't consider these bikes to be "vintage" (triple discs, electronic ignition, DOHC, etc), but they are older than 25 years, so...

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 A4, unrestored, MAC header pictured, but now with Vance & Hines system (jetted to match). Tracy 2001 quarter fairing, slightly cut down seat, superbike handlebars; otherwise bone stock down to the original airbox. I bought this bike in 1985 with 3 miles on it; the local all-brands shop had it stored way in the back, basically forgotten in the days before computerized inventories. I get unsolicited e-mail offers to buy it, sight unseen, on a regular basis. I really hate the 80MPH speedo. This is the bike I've put more miles on than any other in my collection, with the exception on my 2000 Triumph Legend, and 2003 ZRX.
183136452.jpg

1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor V45, unrestored, D&D headers, factory cam swap, braided stainless brake hoses, otherwise stock. I've had this bike to 130MPH indicated, with a bit left on tap; handles fantastic at speed.
183138299.jpg

This is not my bike. I have no clue whose it is. I rather doubt it's for sale.

It just popped up from our gallery at random on the log in page, and made me go "ooooooo!" :drool:

Attachments

• FP16-25.jpg
    FP16-25.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 266
"...and now for some Japanese..."

From this point on, I personally don't consider these bikes to be "vintage" (triple discs, electronic ignition, DOHC, etc), but they are older than 25 years, so...

1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 A4, unrestored, MAC header pictured, but now with Vance & Hines system (jetted to match). Tracy 2001 quarter fairing, slightly cut down seat, superbike handlebars; otherwise bone stock down to the original airbox. I bought this bike in 1985 with 3 miles on it; the local all-brands shop had it stored way in the back, basically forgotten in the days before computerized inventories. I get unsolicited e-mail offers to buy it, sight unseen, on a regular basis. I really hate the 80MPH speedo. This is the bike I've put more miles on than any other in my collection, with the exception on my 2000 Triumph Legend, and 2003 ZRX.
183136452.jpg

1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor V45, unrestored, D&D headers, factory cam swap, braided stainless brake hoses, otherwise stock. I've had this bike to 130MPH indicated, with a bit left on tap; handles fantastic at speed.
183138299.jpg

I know who you are now. :) Extremely nice collection, I'd love to venture out and see it sometime! Gorgeous bikes!

Thanx.

All are welcome around my shop, just about any day of the week; but call ahead, as I take off from time to time to pick up and/or deliver bikes.

Down to the last two classic bikes in the collection-

1983 Triumph T140W Bonneville 750 TSS electro 8-valve / e-start, 100% original (original mufflers in boxes on the shelf) Fairly rare, only 238 built of which very few remain in 100% original condition. This was the LAST model to roll off the Meriden factory floor before the original Triumph works closed and were eventually sold to John Bloor who VERY successfully resurrected the brand.
308409095.jpg

1992 Yamaha TDM850D, another somewhat limited edition bike in the U.S., as they were only imported in 1992 & 93. This one is basically all original, apart from the Micron exhaust system I installed about a week after making the deal for the bike. I got it from the same friend/neighbor that sold me the '83 Honda VF750F. This bike is amazingly quick and light, climbs effortlessly to 125 indicated in 2 shakes of a lamb's tail, and is smooth and comfortable at that speed, apparently willing to hold it there till it runs out of gas. The bike is pictured with a Corbin seat, but I reverted to the Sargent, which is much more comfortable, and not as flashy.
413250844.jpg

So, that's it for me, for now...

Last edited:
This is not my bike. I have no clue whose it is. I rather doubt it's for sale.

It just popped up from our gallery at random on the log in page, and made me go "ooooooo!" :drool:
I owned one of those in the late 70's.

I remember oogling one of these on the Westgate Road, Newcastle right at the end times for Triumph. Even then the quality of the paint work & pinstriping far outshone the Japanese brands next to it on the floor.

Even now, 34 years on, the paint is near perfect, and there's nary a hint of rust on the bike. Just a bit of deterioration on the left thumbswitch housing.

I do not have much of a history with vintage bikes, but they are neat.

I rebuilt this 1974 Honda CB750 with my daughter. I rode it to Austin for the MotoGP event a month ago - put ~275 miles on it that day and it worked great.

normal_COTA_CB750.jpg

normal_COTA_AF1_1.jpg

normal_COTA_Austin2.jpg

Neat bike, I have it for sale but wouldn't mind keeping it.

Neat bike, I have it for sale but wouldn't mind keeping it.

the burning question is, if you sell it, (and that bike WILL sell) would you and the kid do another? what might it be?
sounds like an awesome tradition to keep rolling...... so to speak. ;-)

the burning question is, if you sell it, (and that bike WILL sell) would you and the kid do another? what might it be?
sounds like an awesome tradition to keep rolling...... so to speak. ;-)

We have gotten into riding dirt bikes, so this has been a great way to spend time together:

normal_Play_day.jpg

1971 Honda SL350 - was given to me as a tip from a grateful restoration client a few years ago. It had several internal issues, so I've torn it apart and intend to restore it. Already painted the frame and installed a nice set of Marzocchi shocks that I had laying around. Bought a set of original mufflers that were cust open, I intend to pattern them and reproduce them for resale one of these days. Also have a "rat trap" clutch pedal to figure out, as my son only has one digit on his slightly shorter left arm, so a standard clutch lever won't work for him. It'll get a slap shifter which will be perfect. I only have 8 or 10 years till he's big enough to ride it, so I suppose I better get with it!
408664270.jpg

408932384.jpg

1972 Norton 750 Combat Commando with Dunstall bodywork, ARD microelectronic magneto, Norvil 13" full floating front brake, Sparx 3-phase alternator & regulator/rectifier, Clubman Racing rearset foot controls, Thomaselli adjustable clip-on handlebars, and the best part - engine built by Leo Goff. It'll yank your shoulders out of socket with a handful of throttle if you aren't prepared for it...
312321129.jpg

Nice looking Norton. I have always liked them far more than Triumphs of the same vintage. You going to take it to the INOA Norton rally in Virginia in July?
John in Granbury

Buena Vista, Virginia is well over 1,500 miles ONE WAY, so I'm thinking the answer is no...

I am off to Dolores Colorado on Wednesday. Going to camp with friends and visit Matt at the Colorado Norton Works and Sam at his Vincent shop.
It is surprising how many people own British bike in SW Colorado.

Going to pick up a 65 Matchless G80 on the way back, this winters project bike.

John

DSCN0448.jpg
I am off to Dolores Colorado on Wednesday. Going to camp with friends and visit Matt at the Colorado Norton Works and Sam at his Vincent shop.
It is surprising how many people own British bike in SW Colorado.

Going to pick up a 65 Matchless G80 on the way back, this winters project bike.

John

Got the Matchless on the lift and parts ordered. Re-packed the rear wheel bearings and replaced the rear brakes. New rear shocks and working on the wiring. Progress being made.
John in Granbury

Back