• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Twisted Sisters

Reaction score
I am planning a two day trip this weekend and I wanted to ride "Twisted Sisters". Does anyone have any good gpx routes that they have ridden? Is there any good suggested tent camping spots? I plan to start my ride in Kerrville. Any good breakfast spots in Kerrville?

I had a two-day ride out there a year ago following some of the dirt routes in Trail Boss (Gibben's) guide as well as the twisted sisters. I camped at Lost Maples state park and was able to cool off in the stream there and take a nice hike. Don't miss the motorcycle museum in Vanderpool if you haven't been -- some sweet old bikes there. I plan to go out there again soon....

there's been a lot of rain. better check camp spots (Lost Maples) before you go. Also there is a storm off-shore that could bring a lot of rain.
you might try Schreiner park in Kerrville for camping there are cabins for rent.

Wish I could head out somewhere interesting this weekend too but I've got family stuff happening on Sunday. Good point about the rain and the state parks do fill up as the weather gets nicer. Have a good ride!

For breakfast, Mary's Tacos (excellent, but no indoor seating), Rita's Tacos or, for traditional southern fare, Hill Country Cafe.

Bring your best game to Hwy 16, Kerrville to Medina. If traffic is light, the road can surprise and challenge you. From Medina, take 337 to Vanderpool. From Vpool, continue on 337 to Leakey (my favorite bit).

On your return leg, go thru Utopia and pick up 470 toward Bandera, that's a fun stretch. Then follow 16 back thru the canyons to KV.

Enjoy the sisters!

The sisters are great.

Having only been twice, I can still say with confidence that the first few cooler weekends are going to be crowded.

A riding buddy has rented a cabin south of Leakey and on a whim, am thinking about shoving off in the morning to spend a couple days down there.

Last edited:
For breakfast, Mary's Tacos (excellent, but no indoor seating), Rita's Tacos or, for traditional southern fare, Hill Country Cafe.

Bring your best game to Hwy 16, Kerrville to Medina. If traffic is light, the road can surprise and challenge you. From Medina, take 337 to Vanderpool. From Vpool, continue on 337 to Leakey (my favorite bit).

On your return leg, go thru Utopia and pick up 470 toward Bandera, that's a fun stretch. Then follow 16 back thru the canyons to KV.

Enjoy the sisters!

Thanks, my daughter and I will be sure to check it out when we come down on the 28th.

Here is a link to a counterclockwise 334 mile route I used last year to take in all three sisters: Map

You should be able to download a GPX file (others formats available too) from the link. If not let me know an I can send you the file.

Plenty of food and fuel opportunities along the way. Have fun and enjoy. I'm hoping to do a clockwise version of the route sometime this Autumn.

Is there a good place to turn around between Leakey and Camp Wood?

An overlook or something? I can't remember what's out there.

I was thinking about doing something like this with her:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28625609

sisters.jpg

I can't help in the maps department but I can tell you that the weekend is the worst time to go. All the Weekend warriors and their 3 wheeled cousins will be out en masse...

Enjoy the sisters!
Hwy 16 can challenge you ????? It's a nice road, but challenge you ????? [emoji15]

Dude, im doing the same trip! My buddies backed out and Im going next weekend! Would be awesome to catch another rider...

Hwy 16 can challenge you ????? It's a nice road, but challenge you ????? [emoji15]

Perhaps you haven't ridden 16 between KV and Medina? Has switchbacks tighter than any you'll find on 335, 336 or 337. Plus fun curves, elevation changes...

For breakfast, Mary's Tacos (excellent, but no indoor seating),

Enjoy the sisters!

Wait a minute.... No seating? I thought they had two little tables in there. Or at least that's what I remember because I KNOW I've sat down in there with someone. :-)

Yeah, what she said ^^^^ on "Enjoy the sisters".

Wait a minute.... No seating? I thought they had two little tables in there. Or at least that's what I remember because I KNOW I've sat down in there with someone. :-)

Yeah, what she said ^^^^ on "Enjoy the sisters".

Scott, I think they moved the little tables out in favor of more chairs/more room for peeps waiting for their order...

They are building an outdoor eating area.

I can't help in the maps department but I can tell you that the weekend is the worst time to go. All the Weekend warriors and their 3 wheeled cousins will be out en masse...

This is true. However, the early bird gets the open road. Our cruiser cuzzins tend not to venture out very early.

Scott, I think they moved the little tables out in favor of more chairs/more room for peeps waiting for their order...

They are building an outdoor eating area.

Wow. Progress in little Kerrville!

I always liked that place. Stopped there many a time too.

Perhaps you haven't ridden 16 between KV and Medina? Has switchbacks tighter than any you'll find on 335, 336 or 337. Plus fun curves, elevation changes...
That plus the section coming out of Vanderpool on the way to Leakey are my faves I've ridden there.

First time I went over the Eagle's Nest on 16 on two wheels was on a bicycle. Coming down the switchbacks on the other side were so fast and steep my rear wheel was sliding around the corners. That was a first for me on a road bicycle.

just normal weekend traffic. It's gotten worse and worse over the years with all the wanna be HD crowds, wine drinking out of towners, and then all the retirees who can't hold up two wheels and switched to couches on three wheels, so going for a pass can be dangerous either from traffic, or wanna be 1 % bikers with attitudes.

Back