• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ROT Rally 2018

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Rusty and I wandered down to Congress Ave last evening for the madness known as the ROT Parade. The Republic Of Texas rally has been going on now for quite some time having started in 1995. I think the last time we went was two years ago and we thought the crowds were smaller in 2016 from the previous time before that. For 2018, there were considerably more bikes and people. We wondered what it was like for visitors coming to downtown and not knowing this was going on. We watched and shot the parade, then wandered down Sixth Street and back. There was no shortage of cool, not so cool, weird and downright interesting sights. I didn't shoot much this time reasoning I didn't want to spend a ton of time in cull/post.

Here's a few from the evening.... I'm sure Rusty will be along shortly with his captures. He's much better at this street photography thing.

First up is the masks.... I just don't get them. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe this is just a costume parade. I dunno.....
i-hjcSnQG-XL.jpg

This was probably my favorite shot from the evening. I think it just sort of summed up the 'vibe' of the parade.
i-kjzr9WK-XL.jpg

B&W seemed fitting for Dirty White Boy...
i-VCw8Rfr-XL.jpg

This is yet another of those costume moments I couldn't reconcile. He's in a kilt, she in a fishnet. Maybe they're Scottish fishermen in real life who ride motorcycles?
i-6CFCDcX-XL.jpg

Every year one must capture the bikes lined up on Congress Ave with the Capitol in the background.
i-Ftch9KC-XL.jpg

There were two of these side by side. One was a large block, and this one had a blower on top. I bet that is a handful to ride.
i-7bZdJQZ-XL.jpg

I really liked this one for how they did the lights and farkles. Or maybe it was the gritty street lighting.
i-4KC3wwC-XL.jpg

I understand the concept of dirt bikes. But didn't they miss one key attribute called ground clearance with this one? And maybe a front brake?
i-qpg9wPk-XL.jpg

Batman and Batwoman are alive and well riding a scooter...
i-mJ62Mh8-XL.jpg

Speaking of Batman, the Frost Bank tower is also known as Gotham Bank Tower.
i-Zdx5nj4-XL.jpg

Every year I've shot ROT I take a picture of people here. Not sure why, but this is another one to keep the streak going.
i-kRWfkFt-XL.jpg

I live on 2222. Its **** during ROT. We are in CO. Cant stand it. Always leave town.

Good luck with the photos.

Great shots, Scott.

Umm, where do you sit on that "dirt" bike?

That little horn just to the left of the eye? There’s one on the other side of the tank. Your butt cheeks rest on those. I suppose going to the bathroom would be easy but there’s no rear fender..... :deal:

Agreed. Good shooting.

But that Scottish fisherman reminds me of a photo from the Galveston rally that Big took several years ago. shiver

I’ve not been to Galveston, but you jogged some gray matter in my brain about me possibly having a picture of this couple from a few years ago.

That little horn just to the left of the eye? There’s one on the other side of the tank. Your butt cheeks rest on those. I suppose going to the bathroom would be easy but there’s no rear fender..... :deal:
Yee-owsa :giveup:

Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Back