• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fork seal assistance [Austin]

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
I'm looking at servicing the forks on my F650GS for the first time. A lot of the write-ups I've seen mention the PVC pipe method for a DIY seal driver. The ProMotion driver sells for around $40 online. I don't mind buying the right tool for the job unless it's unnecessary. Will this tool make the job easier than the PVC method?

Anyone got a seal driver I could rent? I believe 41mm is the size I will need.

The right tool for the job can make all the difference. The PVC will probably be a good bit cheaper. You just need something that's slighty smaller than the Outside diameter of the seal but not so small that it won't drive on a solid part of the seal. Take one of your seals down to Home Depot or lowes go the plumbing section and find something that will work. Just takes a bit of looking. If 41mm is indeed what you need that comes out to about 1.6 inches so I'd bet a 1.5inch piece of PVC would do the trick.

My seal driver for the Strom is a piece of exhaust pipe I had laying around that does the trick. My damper rod tool for many forks is a piece of all thread with a 19mm nut welded on one end and a "T" handle at the top that was also welded in place.

I've used both methods, the PVC is much cheaper and no difference in result.
Just take your time and you will be fine.

I have a 43mm seal driver that a friend of mine made on a 3D printer if you find your forks are 43mm

Sorry just checked and your bike is 41mm

Last edited:
"theres only two times you can have too many tools... the garage is on fire or your trying to swim with all of them"

buy the tool

Thanks for the info guys. I'm putting together a parts order now. F650.com FAQ states there are Honda seals and dust covers that are identical to these BWM parts. Has anyone ever used Honda parts?

Back