• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend January 18-24

Reaction score
First Name
David
Being unable to attend the Christmas in Big Bend group this year, I'm planning on heading there in January for MLK weekend. Taking the WR and riding around. If you can be there then, I'll see you. Post up here and we'll look for you there! :sun:

What kind of riding are you planning on ?

We'll be on WR250Rs. So the gravel roads and medium level stuff in the area. Planning on hitting Mexico for a day ride, riding the national park, hitting the hot springs, top of the world, Bee Cave Canyon, etc.

Nothing too radical. Moderate pace riding.

We'll probably meet every morning at the Chili Pepper cafe at 8:30 and figure out the riding plan that day based on weather and interest level.

Last edited:
I think I might be able to make that weekend. I want to do the two days of the Texas 1300 in Mexico but could at least do the day in Big Bend part of that ride. I would be on my Tiger 800XC.

Being unable to attend the Christmas in Big Bend group this year, I'm planning on heading there in January for MLK weekend. Taking the WR and riding around. If you can be there then, I'll see you. Post up here and we'll look for you there! :sun:

1/18 - 1/24
Reservations made for a single bed room at the Lodge.
Planning on leaving Granbury by 0800 and travelling I20 to Monahans and then turning south.

If someone would like to double up, I can change the reservation to two beds and we can split the cost. That would get it down to about $66/night all in.

I also have an open spot on my trailer if someone needs a shuttle service for a cold beer or Dr. Pepper. Or ride along and split the fuel.

Probably not making the trek into Mexico.

1/18 - 1/24
Reservations made for a single bed room at the Lodge.
Planning on leaving Granbury by 0800 and travelling I20 to Monahans and then turning south.

If someone would like to double up, I can change the reservation to two beds and we can split the cost. That would get it down to about $66/night all in.

I also have an open spot on my trailer if someone needs a shuttle service for a cold beer or Dr. Pepper. Or ride along and split the fuel.

Probably not making the trek into Mexico.

I was thinking of driving down Friday and ride the weekend and return on Monday

Look forward to seeing you both there. I'll PM you my phone number.

I still have an open spot on my trailer.

Probably not going to make this trip. Just to many things in the way popped up, but might be able to over night Sunday to Monday. Have your number and will call if can

I rode my WR Friday night and it appears that the suspension is shot. I’ve got a shop that says they can repair it in a week, so I’m taking it tomorrow morning. IF they can’t, I’m still coming out there and will bring the big GS.

I’m making a list of stuff I’m bringing. When you travel by truck, you can bring a lot of stuff and that’s what I’m doing. This includes spare tires, tubes, stand, craftsman 174 piece tool set (it’s amazing how often you need the 175th tool that they didn’t include), Baja no-pinch tool, spare coolant (the WR has a slight leak), compressor, tow straps, battery jump starter thing, assorted knifes and guns, and much much more.

Wow ... you are bringing a whole shop ...

I have spare tires/tubes (100/90-19 and 130/80-18), a much smaller tool kit, tire irons, some oil, air tank, some electrical connectors and an assortment of fasteners.

There is not anything in Terlingua. Closest auto parts store is in Alpine (90 miles). Plus I’m cheap, so I hate to spend $30 for a $12 tube. Rich travels with even more than I do. I think he takes a spare battery (which we needed on 1 trip).

I do have a battery that I pulled out of the big bike.

I'll add it to the list.

I took the WR to Adventure Moto in McKinney Texas for a suspension upgrade. They were super friendly and promised the back would be better than new. I'm supposed to get it next Thursday.

And they shamed me into get new tires. So I'll be bringing the tires and some beer and spooning them on in the parking lot.

I gave up trying to true up a rim and dropped it off at a local shop.
Kept chasing about .040 run out.
I'd get it squared away in one spot and it's move somewhere else.
Hope to pick it up tomorrow.

Spooned on a new rear D606 today.
Will do the front as soon as I get it from the shop.

Been making piles of gear, spares and tools.
Bike is about ready ... need to mount a couple fender bags.

I have a few maintenance items that I'd like to get done, but don't want to open a can of worms.
So, some things I'm just leaving alone till I get back.

Mitch, be careful, if you break yourself, we can't play as much. Plus I don't want to have to mow your lawn. Hee Hee.

Back