• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fork Maintenance time.

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Been having a slow leak r seep with the left fork seal about a year and the front was getting pretty dirty so decided to do the maintenance on it with new seals and 5 wt fork oil.
Been so long since been in there had to dig out the service manual. ha ha ha.
Polished the fork tubes in a vise with 120 emery cloth the reverse it for the back side to smooth it out for the new seals.
All looked pretty good in there after cleaning all the oil off.
Last seal change was at 77K miles and just getting to 90K at present. So, not bad for the beat up roads I run on.

Also adjusted chain and not a lot left so gonna need to address that in the near future. Both Chain and sprockets. May go one down in the rear as had that set up at one time and liked it. Just a bit taller.
Bandit%20seal%20and%20clean.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh the ole weeping fork seal. Had the same last year. Let us know what you use for the final drive. I need to replace my stock chain and sprockets this winter.
After the last ride I noticed a light orange haze on the Chain. A sure sign the O rings are shot.

Most likely go with Bike Bandit for the next parts also. 18 x 43 is stock but I go one down on the rear for a small final drive reduction. 18 x 42 has worked well for me. And standard o-ring chain. Have 32 K miles on this set now. Still have a couple bars left on chain adjustment and chain is not too wobbly on the side to side. Plus my riding is way down from what I did the first 5 or 6 years before my W. Texas crash. Only 3,300 miles last year. Yuk! And the KLR was only 1600 miles but had to deal with open bypass heart surgery Jan 2017 so that cut last years riding down lots., plus buying a Corvette didn't help my bike mileage either. LOL!

Last edited:
Back