• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/19/19-Castroville, Texas

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
46211598901_438da7089e_o.gif

28198196669_142a7ae5c2_n.jpg
A Texas Adventure Riders Association
San Antonio Chapter Event

What?
A 250-mile adventure motorcycle ride entirely within Medina County Texas. Saturday, January 19, 2019.
*You determine your start time.

The ride will start and end at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park in Castroville, Medina County, Texas. For 2019 the route will run counterclockwise.

Pictures from 1 HERE & HERE
What happened on II - Click Here
Or on 3 HERE

A weather date decision will be made at least by the Wednesday before.

Breakfast
*Note a suggested earlier than normal meet & start time - Although the regular Adventure Rider Breakfast Series meet time is 9a, I'll probably arrive at Sammy's by 745a, every rider should be on route by 9a.
The breakfast spot is Sammy's Restaurant, in the backroom, as it's just east, across the street from the Alsatian Steinbach House Park. If Sammy's Restaurant becomes too crowded Haby's Alsatian Bakery is available for take out pastries and kolaches, its located directly across US90, next to the Shell C store. And the original home of the bike breakfasts, Taqueria San Juan, is two minutes west on US90.

My group will depart the Alsatian Steinbach House Park about 9a.

I'll be handing out unofficial IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride starter stickers at breakfast at Sammy's Restaurant or at the Alsatian Steinbach House Park.

Parking
The Alsatian Steinbach House Park or Castroville Park and Ride are options for parking for those that are trailering over. Riders have parked at Sammy's in past, they several have no parking signs posted for non diners, ask first, park there at you own risk.

Lodging
The Hotel Alsace & Spa, now Hillside Texas.
Camping is available at the Castroville Regional Park, 816 Alsace Street, on the Medina River:
$10.00 per tent per day, with access to restroom/showers.
RV $35.00 + 10% discount for seniors and members of recognized RV clubs (daily only) call for more information 830-931-0033. Castroville Regional Park Regulations, Rules and Guidelines

Dining
I plan on having dinner at Fremdes Pizza after the ride if anyone wants to join in, about 530p. They have live music both Friday and Saturday night. https://www.fremdes.com/about-fremdes/

Another option is the Castroville Cafe next door or Cora's up FM 471 known for "The Best Nachos in Texas". Or to feel like you are in Europe, Alsatian Restaurant.
If a non-riding companion needs something to do while you are out riding click HERE

The Route
This is a self-guided GPS ride
, start a group or join one, as the ride is self-guided a group will need to keep moving to get in the 250 miles before dark, my group finished the route on ride 2 but not the 1st or 3rd for only a 33% completion percentage.
Additional Notes: Different legs of the route may touch (due the 2019 rotation) near Quihi, it will require attention to stay on the proper course.

Of course the ride and gathering is all about fun, camaraderie and being safe. Some will focus on completing the route, others will just relax and ride to their cut off time and head home.

IV Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride Map
Route information & Map
*Disclaimer - I build the routes on my computer using the Roads of Texas map book as my guide which is the best and most accurate I have used, but not perfect, and Furkot's mapping program. So the route may not be 100% accurate. I do not pre-ride the route; it's an adventure for me also. Road closures, legal status, conditions and routing of county roads can change. If in doubt, turn around and find another route - DO NOT trespass. If a landowner says you are on private property, don't argue; politely ask for directions to get back to a public road.

Below is the 250 mile route map, run counterclockwise this year.

31272393887_c7222eef4a_o.jpg

Medina County is immediately west of Bexar County in southwest Texas
31649395662_09a3e38b25_o.jpg

Rider etiquette
For those that join my group - When I lead a group I don’t stop for lunch in a restaurant, I'm in the office all week so when I'm on a ride I want to spend as much time as possible in nature. I plan a stop about midway out in the country for snacks or a sandwich I bring with me, then of course there are the planned fuel stops.

I stop at every corner without a clear / obvious direction to continue and wait for the entire group to make sure the last rider sees the proper way to go, there is NEVER a need to ride above your comfort level to keep up, we won’t leave you, I encourage riders to spread out to avoid the dust. The daisy chain method also works well, especially when its extremely dusty to keep the group even more spread out, the rider in front makes sure the rider behind makes the corner and so on until the sweep rider makes the corner. As long as the rider in front takes responsibility for the rider behind no one gets lost. Also, please tell someone in the group if your plans change and you decide to break off from the group, that prevents you being searched for.

Safety
AGATT
Having your emergency contact information on you and having that information readily available is critical. This is important not just for group rides but everyday. Even though you may have a buddy along on the ride you may get separated on the road.
At minimum:
Name
Your street
Your town, state, Zip code
Driver's license # & state
Emergency contact
Emergency Phone
I taped mine on the bottom of the visor of my dual sport helmet, I also taped another on the back side of my fairing near the dash. The important thing is that it is easy for anyone to find.

Adventure / dual sport roads are disappearing due to pavement or closures, respect landowners and other road users, slow down and ride quietly when passing, people, vehicles, animals, homes, etc.

Last edited:
Gina and I are in. :hail:

Route not complete? I would like to see some of the Medina River and lake area but understand if there is nothing left but houses and traffic. I have been anticipating the completion of this since last year. I like the counter route since it would allow new scenery first for me. Like you said in the thread (as you know), need to get out and moving since it's a long one.

On the radar. Last year was fun. I'll have to see how I'm doing when the time gets closer. DR 2 will be ready to go for sure by then. Wrecks suck!

Last edited:
The route is 95% the same as 1, II & 3. I'm just triple checking a few things before I post it above.

You'll get to cross the Medina River river just north of Castroville. I hope no one dives in this year. See 0:41 in. Thanks for the video Kory!

Last edited:
I had a great time at this event last year, and hope to attend again. Lets see if we can not roll any Urals this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I had a great time at this event last year, and hope to attend again. Lets see if we can not roll any Urals this year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We’re down to 50% as much bad luck with Urals since I got rid of mine. Having two Urals on the same ride is like what was expected if you crossed the streams on Ghostbusters.

It’s the KLRs you have to worry about now. Especially yellow ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in for this, I let weather change my mind last year. Look forward to meeting up with you guys this time[emoji2957]

I am in for this, I let weather change my mind last year. Look forward to meeting up with you guys this time[emoji2957]

It was a fun day, excepting Bill’s whoop de doo with his Ural. But I did run the electric jacket almost all day. (I am a cold wimp tho)

I plan to join you for this ride. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Anyone who is hesitant to come on these rides should consider this one . There is plenty of paved and not too technical off pavement roads. The main question, will the weather cooperate in january?

Sander, i know everyone is always asking what percentage? What would you say about the degree of dificulity on this ride?Would you say this is less technical than some stretches out west?

I'm planning on camping at Government Canyon Friday and Saturday nights, if anyone woyld care to join me. if we get enough people, booking the group site would make sense.

I'm planning on camping at Government Canyon Friday and Saturday nights, if anyone woyld care to join me. if we get enough people, booking the group site would make sense.

Castroville Regional Park lists camping, but their website bites. Probably need to call for info and reservations. One thing I did see on the website that needs clarification is they list gate hours as 7:30AM to dusk. Does that mean they lock you in?

http://castrovilletx.gov/Facilities/Facility/Details/Castroville-Regional-Park-1

Castroville Regional Park Regulations, Rules and Guidelines

HOURS OF OPERATION: Winter: October 1–March 31 6:00 am-9:00 pm daily
Quiet Time in the entire park is to be from 10:00 pm to 6:00 am.
Note: Gates to lower park will be opened to vehicular traffic at approx. 7:30 am and closed at dusk. EXCEPTIONS: Persons with a valid camping receipt.

TENT CAMPING: PERMITTEDIN DESIGNATED AREA ONLY
Tent Campers must register with RV Park Host.
Fee: $10.00 per tent per day.
Tent campers in designated area will be provided with the keypad code to the Restroom/Showers.

The above is from 2017 I would call for confirmation.
Castroville Regional Park
816 Alsace St. (830) 931-0033

Back