• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

9th Annual Smokey Bear Dual Sport Motorcycle Ride

Wondering about safe place to leave my truck and trailer for the days I am out riding. Any suggestions from those who know the area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several places people ride out of .Like off sunspot hiway.Ive been ride that area since 70s and not had any theivry at any camping spots.But usually where others bike campers are.Not a high crime area!

Yes, the Forest has free dispersed camping w/ no permit required along forest service roads. I would find a spot along 223. That road is very centrally located in the forest. There are many other options as well.

As far as a permit to ride, you have to have a licensed motorcycle, or a OHV permit (sticker). New Mexico does recognize the Texas sticker. Even if you have a plate, the right thing to do, if you are riding the real MC and OHV trails, is to have a sticker.

The MVUM is a great source of information on everything, including finding roads to camp.

Have not been able to find 223 on any map or on google maps. Can you give me a general description of where this road is? One of the other members mentioned Sunspot Hwy which I found.

Thanks for your help.

FS 223 is right across the street from Alamo Peak

Also called Dark Canyon

Have not been able to find 223 on any map or on google maps. Can you give me a general description of where this road is? One of the other members mentioned Sunspot Hwy which I found.

Thanks for your help.

Never mind, just found it on the MVUM map.

I stayed at a Baptist encampment last time . Think that'll try that one again . It was a little bit of a drive to town but very close to the trails .

I stayed at a Baptist encampment last time . Think that'll try that one again . It was a little bit of a drive to town but very close to the trails .

Do you remember the approximate location of that place? Would be nice to camp in close proximity to some of the other riders.

South of cloudcroft . About 12 minute drive .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170709-191330.jpg
    Screenshot_20170709-191330.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 268
Baptist Camp? My wife wants hook ups and real bathrooms and showers

Gonna see if we can get a spot fo the camper van

Baptist Camp? My wife wants hook ups and real bathrooms and showers

Gonna see if we can get a spot fo the camper van

It's for kids mostly . They leave the adults alone if you aren't a trouble maker . They have r spots there too. Check out their web site . Cabins too.

We will be at the Spruce Cabins #19 . Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Kshaw and I will be tent camping at Aspendale Retreat. We will hit town around 4 or 5pm Sunday.

Great trails right out of the retreat . The manager will tell you where to go when you sign in.
Now that we aren't using it ....ask him about the screened shelter at the top of the hill. ($40)
It's bunk beds and a bbq pit. Tables inside . Bathroom is close . Like camping but dry.
It will rain in the afternoons , it'll be better than tents . Keep all your gear in there .

Can't do a Mon-Fri schedule like this event. I will be up there for the weekend starting 7/29. If anyone wants a warm up ride I will lead a ride of whatever anyone wants to do--dualsport or real dirt. Saturday is best for me.

Anyone interested send me a message so this thread stays on topic for Sander's event.

Can't do a Mon-Fri schedule like this event. I will be up there for the weekend starting 7/29. If anyone wants a warm up ride I will lead a ride of whatever anyone wants to do--dualsport or real dirt. Saturday is best for me.

Anyone interested send me a message so this thread stays on topic for Sander's event.

We will be there in the afternoon of the 28th . 3 of us. Will be in touch for a Saturday ride with you.

We will be arriving Saturday in early afternoon. We are staying at RV park in town with our little camper. We will run to the Spruce cabins and see if we can catch up with someone.

Cabin #2 reserved, 29 July - 4 Aug. I normally tow with my Crown Vic but if anyone in the area is looking to share expenses and has a truck let me know. I have a two bike trailer we could use.

I am going too, can't wait. Had a blast a few weeks ago on my madden voyage to Cloudcroft. Now if I can just get this tire problem sort d out for my truck... stupid brand new BFgoodrich KO2's won't stay round. They keep going out of round in a few hundred miles and now clue what to do. Replacement set did the same thing. What is crazy I just pulled an old set of KO2's off the truck, never dreamed they would be shuch a problem now. Arggg

Kubotamike I would like to visit with you about your Africa twin one night while we are there. I have really considering one.

Sure thing we are there's in the spruce cabins, #19 I believe. Will be there Friday through Monday I believe... I won't be riding the twin, just the Husky.

I plan to be in Cloudcroft Sunday afternoon the 30th for 2 days. Maybe we can all meet somewhere Sunday afternoon and then Monday morning to ride. I will be be in a cabin.

Lanny Marshall
ltlxvz

Kshaw and I decided we couldn't wait till Sunday, leaving a day earlier and will be rolling in to Cloudcroft around 4-5pm Saturday.

Back