• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

V-Strom 650 vs 1000

Reaction score
I've done some reading on the subject, but figured I would ask on here as well. I'm looking to get a strom as my next bike, and I've found one of each size in my price range. I plan on doing 90% street, with 10% gravel/dirt county roads. All the speed limits leaving Stephenville are 70-75 mph, and I plan on taking the occasional long trip. 6'2", 230 lbs, and will never be riding 2 up. Trying to do this right, and plan on keeping this one for a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've had a 1k for 13 yrs and can say its been a great bike. Done quite a bit of gravel and even had it in the dirt a few times. Crisscrossed the country twice and it cruises effortlessly, even 2-up.

From what I can tell, there isn't any physical size difference between the 650 and 1k, but the 650 obviously weighs less. The weight was never an issue for me and I'm not a tall guy.
Either one would have been good for me, but I'm glad to have gone with the 1k.

Opinions will vary.

If you're asking whether or not the 650 is adequate for long distances at highway speeds, I can give you my experience. I weigh 170, so use that as your baseline for weight. I'm on my 2nd DL650 and I can tell you they've both been excellent touring and camping bikes, at home on long, empty highways with me & about 50 lbs of camping gear aboard. It'll run all day at 75-80mph with no concerns.

I bought my 1st one from a guy who rode 2-up with his wife & lots of camping gear from north Texas to the Arctic Circle and back on a 2006 DL650. So yeah, they're plenty capable of handling exactly what you've described.

The only time I've ever found power to be an issue was one day in New Mexico when a buddy and I rode directly into a 30-35mph headwind for 2 straight hours. Pulling into that headwind to pass a car, I found the bike struggling a bit for acceleration. Other than that, I've never needed or wanted more power - it'll climb an 11,000 foot pass like a bear cat.

There are technical difference between the two bikes that others can review for you. And at least on the older ones, most people agree that the 650 engine is a good bit smoother than the 1000. It also uses significantly less gas. Where both my 650s have delivered around 50mpg consistently, 1000s seem to settle more around 40-42mpg. You can verify that on Fuelly.com.

I've done some reading on the subject, but figured I would ask on here as well. I'm looking to get a strom as my next bike, and I've found one of each size in my price range. I plan on doing 90% street, with 10% gravel/dirt county roads. All the speed limits leaving Stephenville are 70-75 mph, and I plan on taking the occasional long trip. 6'2", 230 lbs, and will never be riding 2 up. Trying to do this right, and plan on keeping this one for a while.

Ive had em both.... The 650s extensively
To the tune of
04.. 87K when sold ...no major problems cept for a bad ground wire easily fixed
06.. 85K when sold ...still running fine
Rhodyne on here has it near Grainger
11.. 36K when sold ...only the stator problem that was common on later versions .. Still around Houston area with ernie
12..23K when bought...stator replaced.. I have it now..along with the Teneres..a Versys & a Husky

The 3 1000s Ive owned didnt give any major problems... but the engines werent nearly as smooth
02..23K when sold with crash damage
This was the first Strom in Waco...& put several of my friends on em
03..?15-18K.. I cant remember... Sold it to my friend who now has the 14 below for sale
05 ..under 10K ...didnt have it long...but ran great...smoother

The 14+ version of the 1000 is as smooth as the 650s...& the power!!....whoah! ..lighter than earlier 1Ks too...with much better brakes & suspension

If I was considering another Strom....the 14+ 1000 would be high on the list
But also higher in price (a good friend has one for sale here in Waco)

A side note about fuel mileage..... Yes the 650s do generally get better mileage ..especially the later 07+ dual spark models
55 mpg compared to 50 avg in my case
The 07-11 models having the best range with the larger tank (5.8 instead of 5.4gal) compared to 12+ 650s
Ive been 300 miles on a tank on that 11 model several times...with some fuel left...mabe .25-.35gal

The new 14+ 1000s get similar mileage to the older 1000s mabe 45mpg avg on a 5.4gal tank

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bought a new 2006 650 now with over 50k miles. Last year sprocket/chain replace I bumped CS spkt up one tooth. Really like the difference. Bike has the torque to pull taller gearing and seems to have an extra gear now..although not a huge visual drop on rpm gauge. It "feels" better. I am your size and love the bike. I have run lots of interstate with previous stock gearing no problem.
If riding interstates seems there would be an advantage with a larger engine (and windshield).

Awesome, thank you all for the insight! It seems the 650 may be the way to go for me. These are the two that I'm looking at. The only negotiating the 650 guy has done is $2500 without the panniers, and the 1000 guy came out right off the bat and said he would take $2500 because he is moving.
347328cc056dac54047bd3e0fffa214a.jpg
083c1427d8235fc4d4f88b67a3a0282a.jpg

The '04 DL650 is nearly a dead ringer for my '05. I think you'd be happy with either one. Pick the one you love the best, and welcome to the VStrom crowd.

:tab I had an 04 650. I liked it. It was a fun bike. The suspension is a bit soft though, not really set up for a big rider, which is true of most Japanese bikes. I think they target for a 175 lb rider. Anyway, I put stiffer springs and thicker oil in the forks and that helped a lot with handling. I never got around to doing anything with the rear shock, but it needed a stiffer spring as well. It was even more noticeable when the bike was loaded down with luggage or a passenger. The front work cost me around $200 and it was done at a maintenance day hosted by another TWT member in the DFW area. A new rear spring would run a little over $100 and you'd probably have to get help replacing the spring. Getting the suspension right makes a world of difference, on any bike, but especially on these bikes. I suspect the suspension on the 1000 is on the soft side as well.

:tab Power on the 650 was adequate, but nothing to get excited about. Riding solo, the bike had plenty of pep. Riding two up, I would typically have to down shift if I wanted any real acceleration. Having more power, even if you don't "need it", is nice. Not having more power and wishing you did, not so nice. Brakes were adequate, but again, nothing special. Solo they were fine. Loaded or two up, I had to think a little further ahead and start braking sooner.

:tab IF the price is real close between the two bikes. I'd be more inclined to go with the 1000. That said, the particular after market goodies on either bike might also be a factor for me. The stock windshield brackets on these bikes was terrible. The Madd Stadd aftermarket bracket allows for a lot of adjustment, which made a BIG difference in how the wind hits the rider and the helmet. They are not expensive though. Crash bars on the other hand can be expensive. Panniers are expensive. A center stand is a must for me, but not super expensive or hard to install.

:tab I eventually sold my Strom because I missed having a BMW GS.

I like the latest models for one reason, low exhaust. My 12 has had no problems now have 18K miles. If you ride two up I would get the 1000, Since I ride pavement and just gravel roads, the fork brace made big difference to me in corners. Have fun

Last edited:
I will agree with much of what has been already said here. The 650 is plenty of bike for everything but packing double or heavy touring loads and chasing your buddies on their 1000cc bikes! In those instances it will feel like you are wringing the little 650's neck!

The '12 and under 1000's can have a bogus ecm, which can be smoothed out with a power commander. You might want to ask seller about it if you lean that way. Ive had both. Prefer the 1k, which we still have.

I will agree with much of what has been already said here. The 650 is plenty of bike for everything but packing double or heavy touring loads and chasing your buddies on their 1000cc bikes! In those instances it will feel like you are wringing the little 650's neck!
But it loves the wringin

But it loves the wringin

I found that out in Arkansas and Southern Missouri. It really does like to be revved. Once I got my head wrapped around that, things got a lot more fun on the twisty roads up there!

My 650 in action
IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

I was leading this group,
VFR 800, BMW R1200 GS, FZ-1, Strom 1K and my 650
IMG_2316.jpg

They were not complaining about me holding up their bigger bikes ;-)

I found that out in Arkansas and Southern Missouri. It really does like to be revved. Once I got my head wrapped around that, things got a lot more fun on the twisty roads up there!

My 650 in action
IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

I was leading this group,
VFR 800, BMW R1200 GS, FZ-1, Strom 1K and my 650
IMG_2316.jpg

They were not complaining about me holding up their bigger bikes ;-)
One of my buddies here in the Waco area who bought a DL1000 after ridin my first one... Laughed at the hefty hippie who moved from a 1K to a 650 in 05.... They said...we'll leave ya behind on that toy bike....
Yeah...right.... I may have not been out front gassin it....but I wasnt far away either!

Thank you all for the information advice! I'm definitely leaning towards a 650, so hopefully I can post a picture of a new ride before too long. Definitely new to that style of bike, and figured this was the perfect place to ask for some advice.

I sold my 2013 650. While it always did what I asked it to, I found it to be super boring. I never got the mileage that is claimed above, and usually got in the mid 40's. Admittedly I rode it like a sport bike, and it just wasn't up to the task. I also couldn't believe how loud the wind noise was on that bike, even after trying 3 windshield and other wings and doo-dads I found it super annoying.

I found the front end to not offer much feedback, and overall the suspension to be lacking. Went to a Bandit 1250, with both ends of suspension being sorted, and Holeshot goodies for the engine. Much better fit for my riding style.

Never owned a 650 but I've had a 2003 Dl1000 for about 5 years. It's been a tough and dependable bike. Some (not all) of the older 1000's have had annoying issues with clutch baskets rattling and lean fueling. Fuel mileage is not so great if your heavy handed. Mine gets low 30's.. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have gotten a 650.....I'm not sure what the rules are on TWT regarding the mention of other forums but there is a forum dedicated to V Stroms with tons of info.

"Documented" would be a better description than "claimed." Mine has averaged 51.3mpg since I purchased it. On Fuelly.com, DL650s and 1000s are documented under various model numbers, depending on how they were identified by their owners. Check the link below and you'll find that the collective miles driven and gas burned by some 269 DL650As cranked some pretty impressive mileage results.

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/suzuki/dl650a_v-strom_abs

Never owned a 650 but I've had a 2003 Dl1000 for about 5 years. It's been a tough and dependable bike. Some (not all) of the older 1000's have had annoying issues with clutch baskets rattling and lean fueling. Fuel mileage is not so great if your heavy handed. Mine gets low 30's.. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have gotten a 650.....I'm not sure what the rules are on TWT regarding the mention of other forums but there is a forum dedicated to V Stroms with tons of info.

That would be Stromtroopers.com; most of us are members over there.

What is weird is the speedometer I think is 6 mph slow, but the millage indicator is usually right at doing fill ups with a #2 yellow pencil on a coffee cup. I average 47-50 on the wee. Tire air pressure makes a lot of difference in handling. It likes 32 f 35 r

What is weird is the speedometer I think is 6 mph slow, but the millage indicator is usually right at doing fill ups with a #2 yellow pencil on a coffee cup. I average 47-50 on the wee. Tire air pressure makes a lot of difference in handling. It likes 32 f 35 r
Yeah, I've read the speedos are off. I don't understand the pencil and coffee cup?

I am kinda late to the party but i have had my 650 xt for two years and in that time i have found mileage is dependent on you and the gas you use, speed you go, mine ranges from 42 to 52 mpg, speedometer is off by 10 % till you use a different tires my right now with metas E-07 is 1% check with GPS only thing else i did was drop rear sprocket by 2 teeth which open the gear box a little bit which helps some at highway speed 70 to 85.
I to am big at 6ft 3in and 260lbs ran all around south Colorado and New Mexico last summer load with gear and really never had a problem with the bike pulling the road situations it did struggle climbing Wolf creek pass but that was it that I remember. Your doing right by asking question the big thing is be patient there will be a good deal jump up hopefully before you pull the trigger on something good luck.

Aaron

I sold my 2013 650. While it always did what I asked it to, I found it to be super boring. I never got the mileage that is claimed above, and usually got in the mid 40's. Admittedly I rode it like a sport bike, and it just wasn't up to the task. I also couldn't believe how loud the wind noise was on that bike, even after trying 3 windshield and other wings and doo-dads I found it super annoying.

I found the front end to not offer much feedback, and overall the suspension to be lacking. Went to a Bandit 1250, with both ends of suspension being sorted, and Holeshot goodies for the engine. Much better fit for my riding style.
Yep...sounds like you were on the wrong type of bike....

But ...with the suspension & brakes sorted... V Stroms can be pretty amazing too
Bandits n sweepers
Stroms n goatpaths
afa96810f819c23ae5ce52dffa3d0015.jpg

Last edited:
The speedo thing was so consistent on the older models that you could buy speedometer overlay kits to correct them. I've found that the '12 isn't off as bad. Mine reads about 8% high, which is consistent with the older VStroms. But checking between mileposts or against a GPS, the odometer is only about 2% off.

Yep, official psi on the 17' is 33 and 36. The Speedo is still 4mph off at 70 and above. Fuel gauge seems to be accurate. Fuel mileage is dropping as I get heavy handed since the break in period it through. Mid to Upper 30's mpg at superslab speeds 75-80.. taking it easy was seeing 47mpgs or better (using avg mode). I read that 17' 650 cc is 8/10 second slower than the 1000 in the 0-60. Plenty o thrills for this country boy.

Yep, official psi on the 17' is 33 and 36. The Speedo is still 4mph off at 70 and above. Fuel gauge seems to be accurate. Fuel mileage is dropping as I get heavy handed since the break in period it through. Mid to Upper 30's mpg at superslab speeds 75-80.. taking it easy was seeing 47mpgs or better (using avg mode). I read that 17' 650 cc is 8/10 second slower than the 1000 in the 0-60. Plenty o thrills for this country boy.

The panniers knock the bottom out of gas millage. I have only used mine three times. I have a huge tail bag I can put some groceries in it, plus tank bag. Anyway Hope you enjoy the 650 IF YOU GO THAT ROUTE they are sweet bikes. My wind shield has that adjustable wing at top, it is maybe the best I have ever had.

Last edited:
Back