• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where's the dirt around Sisterdale, Luckenbach, Blacno?

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
I'm jonesing for a ride this Saturday, so I thinking of getting up and heading out EARLY to the Sisterdale area. There seem to be a lotta interesting looking roads inside the blue lines:

V4xO4MfQJPzwacrjJymXimdm5WOAmQ7zJXLEL9q-rlg84N6oRIxSfUezN4jWX8cIutCnX6sLnbffdwM8mX=w1130-h778-no.png

But very few seem to go through, and doing 'street view' seems to indicate most start at locked gates.

Can anyone in that area comment on the rideability of anything in there? Crabapple is good. Boggy Creek of 1888 looks open. 7 Sisters off 473 looks like an option. Others worth looking into?

If I weren’t scheduled to work, I’d be asking to join you.

Others more knowledgeable will chime in soon for you.

most of it has been paved in the last few years you may have to go north of 290 to find enough that goes thru to make it worth wild i run around up there some and its getting hard to find dirt with out making it a 200 + day 3/4 of it on the pavement

Aaron

If I weren’t scheduled to work, I’d be asking to join you.

Others more knowledgeable will chime in soon for you.

You are a homesteader now. You will have to go to your paying job to get rest. :mrgreen: Riding.... well there is always time.

You are a homesteader now. You will have to go to your paying job to get rest. :mrgreen: Riding.... well there is always time.

So true!

Unfortunately, it is not unusual for me to feel like I have to go to my paying job to get rest! LOL

OK - thanks for the feedback, guys. Seems counties keep complaining that the cost of road maintenance is increasing and they can't keep up. Then they go and pave over perfectly good gravel :(

I'll check all the unlocked gates I find in that section of the map - maybe there's one or two gems waiting to be found. Or maybe not...

Well, I had a great little ride on Saturday, but I didn't find a bit of dirt.

There's a loop that Google thought went through: just west of where 474 hits 473. It's called "Seven Sisters" - I think - and was supposed to connect back just north of Sisterdale. Well, it didn't, but it sure was a fun, hilly ride back there. I didn't take all the turn-offs from Seven Sisters, but the main path Google was leading me down hit a BIG locked gate, and the others I tried all ended fairly quickly.

There's a ride out of Bandera on Saturday that is supposed to get into some dirt.

Jeff like i said before most all has been paved south of 290 in that area and whats not heads into to a gate, sorry i could not get free to ride with you Saturday. The only stretch of gravel is 7th street (rock road couple of fast miles) out of Blanco heading north to 290 i am sure there still some i have not found yet, but there is a lot of pretty back roads to cruise down anyway.
You need to get up with the Austin TARA on monthly rides to learn the roads, if you can ride Wed thru Fri are a well planed Sat i can show you gravel are dirt but plan on running close to 250 miles to do it.

Aaron

Rocky Rode is nice.

Guess I could have been more specific earlier. I'm not looking in general for dirt; I was wanting to explore a very specific area. I'm just anti-social enough to not really be down for group rides any more. The group is always slow when I want to be fast, and fast when I want to be slow. 3 or 4 riders is the tops I can tolerate.

Anyway, thanks for offering info. As I said, I had a great ride anyway.

Rocky Rode is nice.

Guess I could have been more specific earlier. I'm not looking in general for dirt; I was wanting to explore a very specific area. I'm just anti-social enough to not really be down for group rides any more. The group is always slow when I want to be fast, and fast when I want to be slow. 3 or 4 riders is the tops I can tolerate.

Anyway, thanks for offering info. As I said, I had a great ride anyway.

You sound like me i like to go my own pace but i do like to ride with other groups and meet the people sometimes and learn different things

Aaron

Back