• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Salvage Title

Reaction score
Anyone ever register an out of state salvage title for a Texas Rebuilt? Worth the process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a vehicle to get a rebuilt title it has to go through some sort of inspection process by a qualified source I believe. Many salvage titles don't mean the vehicleis not fit to drive/ride, just means cost of repair exceeded a % of the vehicle's value. Hail damage is a good example in many cases. If the bike is solid, has been properly repair and cheap, there's not a lot of downside. Check with your insurance company to see if they will insure it. But for sure check with the DMV to make sure you'll have no issues registering it.

Last edited:
My bike was totaled due to age and the cost of the plastic. Bought it back from the ins company and Texas then canceled my title. I then went to a State Inspection station, had it inspected and got what was known as a "green sheet" Old term for a paper you give the tag office showing your vehicle is road worthy. The State then issues you a new "salvage title" that you then use to get a new tag. I then moved to Oklahoma and lucked out. Oklahoma did not look at the title as a salvage title and issued me a clean Oklahoma Title. Lucky me.

The thing to do is go to the title office and ask them what EXACTLY you need to get a Texas (salvage) title.

I bought a frame, engine, transmission and front forks in 2004 from a bike salvage yard in Georgia that came with an Alabama Salvage Title. Took two years, a lot of work and a few thousand dollars to built a very nice, safe and reliable bike.

Took it to my local inspection station and they did a safety inspection and verified the VIN on a "green form". Took the "green form" and Alabama salvage title to the county registration office, and they issued plates and applied for a "Rebuilt" Texas title. I only put liability insurance on the bike, because full coverage on customs, specialty, and rebuilds is really expensive.

Sold the bike a couple of years later and the "Rebuilt" on the title reduced the sales price about $1500 below the market value.

It's a very simple process, but really affects the value.

BTW - don't buy a bent frame or flood damaged bike.

Later, Bud...

Back