• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route advice request

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Think about heading up to Idaho (Tamarack Resort) to visit an old friend.

Now I could fly, but where's the fun in that?

Google maps tells me that the shortest route from Katy is abut 1900 miles. What I am looking for is someone who has more experience in Colorado/New Mexico/Utah/Wyoming to give me a list of must ride roads so that I can plan an interesting route. Looking towards late September/early October. Since our company has gone to a use it or lose it vacation policy ride duration isn't a major issue.

Give me your suggestions !!

Thanks in advance.

One of my favorite roads is Utah Hwy. 12 in S Utah. Starts in Torrey and ends at Hwy. 89. Very diverse and beautiful scenery.
Also Bear Tooth Pass north of Cody, Wy. and ends in Red Lodge, Mt.
But remember, this is high country, winter comes early.

I can help with NM and CO only. From Katy make your way to Las Vegas,NM take 518 then 434,next take 38 the loop up and around till you hit 64. Travel 64 to Chama,NM continue north on 84 to Pagosa Springs. Now you have two options from PS. 160 to Durango then 550 north to Montrose or 160 to 149 to around Gunnison then 50 over to Montrose. 550 is the Million Dollar highway and is a must for most riders traveling in Colorado. 149 is nothing to sneeze at either. Both are very scenic and you will have a blast on either one. What I would do is one on the way up and the other on the way back down.

If you need places to stay or eat I know a few??? There are many more TWT members that have more knowledge than me in this region. Just my two cents.

In Chama there is a sweet train ride that you could do if your into that sort of thing. I had a blast,but I like trains. Worth the time and the cost if you have the free time. I know of a motel and a decent cafe if needed.

Gunnison there are three good eateries if you will be stopping there and a resonable motel if that will be a stopping point for you let me know.

If you have never been to Colorado before allow extra time on 550 or 149 for the multitude of turns. The maps won't truely show how curvy they really are. Ride safe.

Last edited:
Just a partial route for me as well.

Plan on getting out of Texas as soon as possible. Long haul for you, get to the good stuff faster. Either from El Paso or Cloudcroft/Alamagordo head to Silver City, NM. Then north on 180 to 78 west to 190 in Arizona, the Dragon of the West. Make sure you eat your Wheaties, it's a work out for about 4 hours. If the time of day works out stay overnight at the Hannagan Meadows Lodge. After that you're on your own. I headed northeast towards Colorado but after some plains type area but you're heading for Utah and more mountains wont be far off.

Many others here will have better advice on the route up there, but I just returned today from a trip to Sun Valley and did some driving in the area. I had major cage anxiety in my rental car as I watched motorcycle after motorcycle pass by. If you have a chance while there (or want a really out of the way means to get to Tamarack) 75 through Sun Valley to Stanley and 21 back down toward Boise are amazing. Some really nice flowing roads and parts of 21 tighten up to quite technical riding. In fact, I saw a group of riders working with a tow truck to retrieve a bike off one of the curves. Obviously overcooked it and ran wide in a fairly slow (35 mph or less) set of curves. Lucky for him, he went off on the uphill side! That road and many others in the area are on my to-do on two wheels list.

Just returned last weekend from
CO/NM. Chama to Pagoosa Springs
on 64/84 is no brainer for sure. Lots
of construction last Thur on 550 from
Durango thru Silverton into Quray.
2O min waits are normal. Hwy 50
from Montrose to Gunnison by Blue
Mesa Lake is excellent but 149 to
Lake City and Creede is still a thrill.
Favorite ride is still Loop 12 off I25
from Trinidad, CO up to Hwy 160.

Last edited:
If I had one trip to do Colorado, here's how I would do it. I would start in Trinidad, do highway 12 loop. Then west to 149 through Creede, Lake City then around the north Rim of the Black Canyon to Hotchkiss. From Hotchkiss turn north on 133 through Panonia. Make sure to stop of Redstone for lunch at the Redstone hotel. North to Carbondale, then Glenwood. Then east on I-70 (yes an interstate but some of the prettiest interstate you will ever see, through Glenwood Canyon). Turn north at Wolcott on 131 and go to Steamboat Springs, then hwy 40 on to Craig. From there south on 14 to Meeker. West on hwy 64 to Rangely, south on hwy 139 over Douglas Pass towards Grand Junction. When you get to I-70 again, go east to the turnoff for the Colorado National Monument and ride that over to Grand Junction. Proceed south from Grand Junction on 50 to the cutoff for Gateway (hwy 141). Follow this all the way around to Ridgeway, but stop in Gateway at the 141 Diner/gas station. From Ridgeway, south through Ouray over the million dollar highway (hwy 550) to Silverton and Durango. At that point you have made probably the best loop I can think of in Colorado.

Yes you missed Aspen (not much to miss there) and Independence pass and a few other notable exceptions, but catching most of what there is to see.

Something like this ...

q0gAUZY_bj3h6MfQ0iFmIBnGWfJH06VgVPshv8aYc0lyCtiCLUtrADVhTVTllsMowCKnfFvq6LZnM2zXIPOtCMn1zv3xUtmHcBpMtklM7YidqcRq5fo9GTSnQbPxnW5e9s1qq3WL0yPV2oHklFjJ5RIJI8XWESFdo3Wl8-QXeGCQM6wJA9GCd7NHx0J27BPT7OKWn5WaMRuWnWjKCz3MOgbfVsjwhlfoF20UEToRtPExntLlySV7ScW9ZP9a0qpMcwHr7BP9ZtBrmYt2dC9Hv-tkQbYMZYwhhib8dV8HL3Jm_vtTKyxp9EneE-ZjbmcLXIQp4jwp0qUaOY5ILx8lmhmO6EOVSYezqpPLwaUfrNCNPJip9Rva2cRqkhiPSgfZ8Ol0G9zQ_zKej0hbGV8zyNloodITO6EEgW1_IcVeHAOnK9Da-BAgvk5vsKkcvtzzUWjFcl1wxnjcuitEUJYTwafpX2jOaLa-yKCAbQWCT67273DI3WYnU8WWxWFN-x3y2Y-oiuRbPKQ1n4cGKhyQLdaxfTj6SayFT0skID8BJ8HJTnhEgAq-Uq5ri1_ewxKZtw9RIrH3H1HKtfc0v4ckOvqA9UgFxp0=w560-h574-no

Back