• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SXV Oil Leaking From Airbox Cure

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I found the oil pump seal failed, so it pumps crankcase oil to the gearcase, which when overfilled with engine oil shares it with Mr. Airbox. So I started tearing her apart this evening, so far so good, I will finish up in the morning.

I pulled it apart. I removed the clutch pack and hub. Then, I pulled the oil pump gear and the idler gear, the idler gear has loose needle bearings inside. Allen suggested smearing some grease on them after removing the clip and shim. Worked perfectly, got them all out in one go. Be careful of the drive pins on the pump gear and impeller. Luckily one is inside, one is outside.

Oil Pump casing and leaky seal.

IMG_0186.jpg

I had to use a swivel socket and a lot of 1/4 turns with a box end 8 mm wrench to get that last bolt out. Then you have to get it out of the casing so you can pull it out. Note the pin from the impeller will then fall into the bottom of the case because it likes that. No big deal, it is easy to find.

IMG_0190.jpg

Here is the offending seal, looks oddly out of round and it is even a little cocked on one side, it seems.

Seal%20issues.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Yep, he said he gets the occasional bad seal. The job was pretty easy, I am installing a slipper clutch, and I had to go in and pull out the clutch anyway. The bad part is the c-clip holding the gears appears to be single use. So I am ordering those as well. This time I will have 4 seals, 4 c-clips and experience. Like it was said above, the race bike saves weight everywhere. These things are money pits, but the bang for the considerable investment is pretty impressive. A mild rise in the road makes a 6th gear wheelie work, I improved on the stock brakes and rear suspension, probably do the front sometime. Also bought a seat concepts seat, so I can get to the end of a tank full without crying cause Mr. Butt is sore. I will follow up when we have a successful cure. I would like to make it out to a ride with the thing.

I got to ride both the 450 & 550 versions when they came out as AF1 was
just a few blocks from the house then

Rode the thing last night. Now it has the slipper, the new seat concepts seat, new pads and a brand new oil seal. The thing runs perfectly. The oil stayed in the engine, and the brake is stonking awesome. I think I can stand to ride some distance now, hopefully I will get her out to a ride soon. I am enjoying the thing, money well spent. I plan to do some riding today.

IMG_0137.jpg

Looks even better in person. Good meeting you Sunday, nice to be able to put a face with a screen name.

Back