• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

San Antonio to Colorado trip (July 2016)

Like Humanrace mentioned, the Maroon Bells and Maroon Lake are unbelievably beautiful, and probably the most recognized features in Colorado. The only problem with that area is that you have to drive through Aspen to get there. Once a sleepy little ski town, it's now an overcrowded preppy h***hole - or at least that's my old-fart and somewhat biased opinion. To be fair, there are a lot of trendy, fun places there. But if you are crowd- and traffic-averse, slip in, hit Maroon Road, and slip out without getting into more of the town than necessary.

Great pictures. The pictures don't show how step it really is.:eek2: I took some hanging over the edge and it is way worse than pictures will show. Great place to hang out for two or three hours. The road on the backside is killer also.

Last edited:
Like Humanrace mentioned, the Maroon Bells and Maroon Lake are unbelievably beautiful, and probably the most recognized features in Colorado. The only problem with that area is that you have to drive through Aspen to get there. Once a sleepy little ski town, it's now an overcrowded preppy h***hole - or at least that's my old-fart and somewhat biased opinion. To be fair, there are a lot of trendy, fun places there. But if you are crowd- and traffic-averse, slip in, hit Maroon Road, and slip out without getting into more of the town than necessary.
Awesome great advice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you were going a bit later there's a great little rally (400 to 600 people) in Paonia. Top of the Rockies. Really nice in the city park and the whole town gets behind it to make it inviting and very friendly. Sounds like you will have a fun ride, enjoy.

http://www.bmwmcc.org/tor_rally.php

RB outstanding! Will do! I was hurting last September when I left San Antonio for Roswell.

Howdy,

One more tip is to check the various community event listings in Colorado for your specific dates. Many small towns can have festivals and or motorcycle rallies packed with cars w/tourists and bikes, the result is the hotels are sold out and you can expect slow traveling on nearby roads.

June is better a month with less congestion and or late August if you can schedule around that.

RB

RB's map is right on. Hwy 149, from Gunnison to South Fork, is probably my single favorite Colorado road, both for the road itself and for the sheer beauty. Last fall, I discovered 114 that runs between US 50 (just east of Gunnison) and Saguache. I was in a Jeep pulling a trailer, but I've earmarked that road for my next bike trip.

I-70 eastward from Glenwood Springs (and through Glenwood Canyon) is probably the most enjoyable interstate you'll ever ride, plus it's an absolute marvel of engineering. When you see it, you'll understand.

Just east of Vail, there's a very nice triangle to ride. From I-70, south on 24 and over Tennessee Pass, into Leadville. Leadville is a cool and unpretentious little town to stop for lunch and souvenirs. Then northeast on 91 and over Fremont Pass, and back to I-70.

Invest in a Butler motorcycle map and it'll show you all these roads and more. Frankly, there are so many fun, scenic roads in the general area that your biggest challenge is prioritizing. Wish I could be there. Have fun & post lots of pictures.

I was back in co. last week(truck only) and was headed to 149 to try it out. Somehow my navigator missed a turn:giveup:, anyway we ended up on 114, from the south not much to it, but after the summit to 50 turned into a mighty fine little road. Good find.

I was back in co. last week(truck only) and was headed to 149 to try it out. Somehow my navigator missed a turn:giveup:, anyway we ended up on 114, from the south not much to it, but after the summit to 50 turned into a mighty fine little road. Good find.
Excellent. Thank u for the info. I'm headed up to Colorado on Thursday. Can't wait

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back