• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Summer riding - how do you do it?

But I see he admitted his air conditioned motorcycle from the list? Lol Not sure if it's his case but I do know a lot of people just do not ride in the summer same that others do not ride in the winter and others do not ride in the rain or at night.

_

But I see he admitted his air conditioned motorcycle from the list? Lol Not sure if it's his case but I do know a lot of people just do not ride in the summer same that others do not ride in the winter and others do not ride in the rain or at night.

_

Seriously, I find that as I get older I'm less able to endure long exposure to hot temps.
While in my 40's/50's an all day ride in 95+ temps was just a cold beer away from being a great day. Now in my 60's I find that 90 degrees is about the top of the fun scale. I can push a few 90-95 degree hours but not a full day, as long as I'm solo, the spousal unit just can't take it at all when above 90-92, and even then recovery time is measured in 1/2 day increments.
So we ride and act like tourists, stopping every hour or so and finding things along the route that interest us.
When the temps drop to the high 30's to low 50's I really enjoy long trips on the scoot.

Oddly, having grown up just north of jellystone park, I still find a nice zero degree day to be refreshing, and you might just see me out puttering about the yard doing all the things not done in the summertime heat.

Funny what we acclimate to.

Last edited:
Rode home from work this evening. As long as I was moving it was tolerable. Stopped at the lights I felt it. But not too bad. Then the evaporative cooling took over when I was rolling. I have about a 45 minutes commute. The key for me is not many stops and not going in the heat of the day. Although if I had to ride at 2pm, I'd be cooled off about 20 minuets after I got to work. I live in Brazoria County and work in Galveston County. For reference.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rode today at 2p into Dallas and back home at 5:30 and it was toasty when the sun was out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I ended up leaving work with a rain shower chasing me. It was very pleasant and I took it as an opportunity to check out a connector road I've been eyeing.

I'm the guy still wearing perforated leather from Vanson. I've tried the mesh stuff and it flapped in the wind more than I liked.

Anyone wear Aerostich stuff in this Texas heat?

Nope I can only afford one overpriced suit and have Klim Badlands jacket and Latitude pants.

I picked them solely due to ventilation options and the little roost guard.

Anyone wear Aerostich stuff in this Texas heat?

I've worn my Darien in the summer. With the vents open and chest zipper partially open, you get lots of airflow.

Grew up in Texas and there was little or no AC, none in the schools, none at home, none at my first few jobs. I may be spoiled by it these days, but it is really not necessary.

Ditto :eek2: but does it get worse as you get older? I think not, we get lazier :rofl::rofl:

Oh real point of thread...you get sweaty when you ride in the heat of the day, drink plenty of fluids and if it's an all day affair take cooling breaks, ie get out of the sun :)

Last edited:
Ditto :eek2: but does it get worse as you get older? I think not, we get lazier :rofl::rofl:

Lazier or smarter? People use to get by without cars, indoor plumbing or electricity. I don't walk to work , sit in the dark or go outside to relieve myself. :rofl:

Be warned. Out riding now, and on a straight I flipped on the weather band radio to entertain myself. This weekend's heat indexes to be 205. I had to laugh at that. We must be shifting closer in orbit to the sun on Friday.

ef1e7eee7f2ee64b52fb06393cc31b15.jpg

Yeah. I ain't going back to no AC in the house. Lived like that for many summers as a kid in south Louisiana at my grandparents. Oddly, the only time I remember it bothering me was when I had chicken pox, and then it was miserable. I so wanted to be back at my parents where they kept the AC cranked down to meat locker.

We keep ours between 74 and 80. It's 77 now.

When it's 96 outside 78 is about all we can hope for. This old house isn't well insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just get on and ride . I always were a camelback and drink lots of water . Don`t watch the weather in the morning during the summer because they will just tell you that you will be miserable out in the heat all day, and you will believe it :doh:

I also did not have AC in my room when I grew up.

I've used the Absorber towel folded long ways a few times and draped around my neck all week and have been really happy. After an hour of riding in mid 90's temps I was delightfully cool and the towel was still very damp.

Combine this with the micro climate technique and one has a pretty fantastic swamp cooler that recharges very easily.

I've used the Absorber towel folded long ways a few times and draped around my neck all week and have been really happy. After an hour of riding in mid 90's temps I was delightfully cool and the towel was still very damp.

Combine this with the micro climate technique and one has a pretty fantastic swamp cooler that recharges very easily.

No clue what an "Adsorber towel" is, but if it's half as good as a bandana full of ice, tied around your neck, it'll do.

I recently found my old Aerostich Evapodana. It works OK if you completely soak it in cool water. I thought about packing a bottle of water with a large opening so I could stop and soak it again. I also have a couple of cooling vests that absorb a lot of water and keep you cool for a while. They seemed more effective on my previous bike that had less wind protection.

Any suggestions for a 4 season jacket that would work well in the Texas heat?

Back