• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you ride the 230 all the way from the border to Galeana? or trailer it?

I've geared up my crf to run a nice easy 60 on the highway, with max speed of 75 if I tuck in tight. I rode it from McAllen, about 500 miles in total on this trip cause we spent an extra day in Monterrey. At 60 it is just cruising along at moderate revs. If I need power I go to 5th gear which tops out at 65. Stock rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. I think I am running a 40 or 41. Still has enough guts in 1st to climb hills, as stck 1st gear was very low, like 10 mph.

I pack light, just a backpack with 5 days of clothes and tools, so as to not overwhelm my little bike. I like everything but the seat and stck rear shock.

I've geared up my crf to run a nice easy 60 on the highway, with max speed of 75 if I tuck in tight. I rode it from McAllen, about 500 miles in total on this trip cause we spent an extra day in Monterrey. At 60 it is just cruising along at moderate revs. If I need power I go to 5th gear which tops out at 65. Stock rear sprocket is a 50 tooth. I think I am running a 40 or 41. Still has enough guts in 1st to climb hills, as stck 1st gear was very low, like 10 mph.I pack light, just a backpack with 5 days of clothes and tools, so as to not overwhelm my little bike. I like everything but the seat and stck rear shock.

Wish I still have my XR-200, LoL.

I'll need to gear my DRZ so it'll cruise a little higher then. She cruises about 55 now.. Still has stock E model gearing. Hopefully +1 in the front will do it.

why, Why, WHY does this have to be over the Austin Formula 1 weekend? :tears::suicide:

Looks like the perfect length ride and during a great part of the year. Hopefully there will be a repeat next year that doesn't conflict with COTA.

why, Why, WHY does this have to be over the Austin Formula 1 weekend? :tears::suicide:

Looks like the perfect length ride and during a great part of the year. Hopefully there will be a repeat next year that doesn't conflict with COTA.

Unfortunately, every event conflicts with some other event. Any weekend will have supercross or motocross or SXSW or MotoGP or Formula 1 or Tax Day or Easter or Mother's Day or Father's Day or Yon Kipper or Veteran's Day or NFL playoffs or College football playoffs or Baseball playoffs or Golf tournament or Harvest Classic or etc...

Unfortunately, every event conflicts with some other event. Any weekend will have supercross or motocross or SXSW or MotoGP or Formula 1 or Tax Day or Easter or Mother's Day or Father's Day or Yon Kipper or Veteran's Day or NFL playoffs or College football playoffs or Baseball playoffs or Golf tournament or Harvest Classic or etc...

I agree 100%. I have some buddies that always have conflicts with riding, and yet they all look at me funny and tell me I don't understand, when I comment to them that what ever else they are doing must be more important than riding.

We all choose what we do with our non work hours. For some people riding is most important for others not so much.

Oh, I get it. There's no way to please everyone all of the time. I was just lamenting my own bad luck, not commenting on everyone's planning.

However, going to F1 isn't a bad alternative! :-P WAAAY better than a tax day conflict.

Oh, I get it. There's no way to please everyone all of the time. I was just lamenting my own bad luck, not commenting on everyone's planning.

However, going to F1 isn't a bad alternative! :-P WAAAY better than a tax day conflict.

Nah, F1 doesn't come close to riding Mexico...

Says the Taylor Swift stalker

Being an F1 fan is like being Catholic (I'm both). You whine about it but still show up to worship every Sunday!

Not sure about the Catholic part but you're dead on about the F1 part. Good to have one of the few F1 fans on the board!

Ok, back on topic........

Not sure about the Catholic part but you're dead on about the F1 part. Good to have one of the few F1 fans on the board!

Ok, back on topic........

I guess I'll be missing Mexico this time around also. Wife bought me tickets for F1 and I missed last year's event.
Maybe I can go the week before.
Missed Moto GP for the last Mexico ride too.

Like everyone said , there are always conflicts. We live privileged lives with more options than most.

And Harvest Classic the same weekend !!! Dang it:doh:

I'll need to gear my DRZ so it'll cruise a little higher then. She cruises about 55 now.. Still has stock E model gearing. Hopefully +1 in the front will do it.

An easier option is the DRZ400SM steel stock sprocket which is a 43 tooth. This brings revs down and allows about a 95 MPH top speed (with SM wheels).

Wish I still have my XR-200, LoL.

I second that emotion on the XR250 I let go.

But at the same time, there's no question in my mind that the modern dirt and trail bikes are superior in EVERY way when it comes to weight, suspension, power, ride quality, etc. The only problem I can find is cost-to-own.

An easier option is the DRZ400SM steel stock sprocket which is a 43 tooth. This brings revs down and allows about a 95 MPH top speed (with SM wheels).

The 15 tooth front/47 tooth rear combo will work with stock chain length. A rear smaller than 44 will require taking out a link. I run 15/44 and like to run no more than 65/68. More than that and rpm's just to high to cruise.

The 15 tooth front/47 tooth rear combo will work with stock chain length. A rear smaller than 44 will require taking out a link. I run 15/44 and like to run no more than 65/68. More than that and rpm's just to high to cruise.

Maybe I can get away with 15/45 and a stock chain...

Jalpan was an absolute blast with a bunch of great guys. I'm planning on making this ride too and should be taking my KTM 690 R this time around!!! REALLY hoping for some Gringa's street taco's ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back