• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Disc Brake locked up

Reaction score
Bike sat for too long and for some reason brake pumped itself up and LOCKED tight. How do I release this thing? Thanks.

Open bleed screw, loosen caliper mounting bolts, and wrestle 'at sonuvagun off the rotor.

Getting it working again is a different story.

If you have an old lead-acid bike battery sitting around, take the vent tube off, rinse it out, and shove it onto the bleed screw so that brake fluid doesn't go where you don't want it to.

Before you open the bleed valve (and get air in the system), if you have metalic brake pads, it's quite common for the brake pad to go rusty and stick to the disk. The easiest solution is to release the 2 bolts that mount the brake caliper to the forks and try to remove the caliper by prying between the caliper and the fork (Be careful to not mark the forks). This will break the join between the pad and disk and should allow the wheel to start turning again. You might have some vibration at the brake lever if you then ride the bike as the rusty residue left on the disk will take a few miles to rub off.. If that doesn't work then try the suggestion above, but be ready to bleed the brake system afterwards. If the bike has been sitting for a very long time (more than a year) then it's a good idea to replace the brake fluid and bleed the system anyway..

Gary

also make sure the return port is clear in the master cylinder, pistons stick on the MC also.

Thanks guys. I think after getting the caliper free everything needs a total refurbish. The original owner was not a moto guy and I am sure the brake fluid is what Honda installed. Only 7400 miles but 26 years is a little long. My stupidity was in riding it at all. Thanks again for the tips.

Definitely change the fluid if it's 26 years old!! It's well past it's best!! :clap:

Gary

There's a bunch of great ideas in this thread and there are some more things to check, like oxidation if it's been sitting outside or more generally the action of ALL the pistons in master cylinder and calipers. Since brakes are fairly important part of the bike, I'd say have a reputable professional motorcycle mechanic take care of it. (Note: I did not say or imply a dealer.)

Don't forget to replace the hose. (Theoretically every 4 years,)The braided steels are excellent and greatly improve the feel. All the rubber in the caliper and master should be renewed. Any pitting in the bores kills it right there.

There's a bunch of great ideas in this thread and there are some more things to check, like oxidation if it's been sitting outside or more generally the action of ALL the pistons in master cylinder and calipers. Since brakes are fairly important part of the bike, I'd say have a reputable professional motorcycle mechanic take care of it. (Note: I did not say or imply a dealer.)

I think this is probably what I will do. I did not want this bike to begin with but a close friend was determined that I have it. Didn't want to hurt his feelings so I just put it in the shop and rode it only enough to keep things working. Or so I thought. I will be giving it back but want no one else to get hurt on it. Thanks for all the suggestions, and tips, all are appreciated.

Well after a five day stay in the hosp and another eight to get mobile I found it had freed up a little on its on. I guess the heat from dragging just a short distance made it lock up until things cooled down. IF I had just been smart enough to stop and ck things out when I first noticed it being too tight it would have probably cooled enough to make that last ONE block. To make things worse my ignition key was in the jeans they cut off and THREW away in the hosp!!!! Yes, the only key to an '88. Anyhoo, thanks again for the tips.

Wow, first I've heard of this. Are you okay?

Thanks Roger, I will be. Took a good beating and three days was ICU, collapsed lung was the big deal. Otherwise just severe road rash, ribs, etc. Short ride around the block turned into an adventure! Just got out of the house for the first time in two weeks and the sunshine sure feels good. Will be good as new and slow as ever in no time. ;-)

Thanks Roger, I will be. Took a good beating and three days was ICU, collapsed lung was the big deal. Otherwise just severe road rash, ribs, etc. Short ride around the block turned into an adventure! Just got out of the house for the first time in two weeks and the sunshine sure feels good. Will be good as new and slow as ever in no time. ;-)

Sounds like a hard "get-off", good to hear you're doing better. Get well soon! And when you do, let's go for a ride...

Back