• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Welding Chrome ?

Reaction score
Hi.

Can I mig weld a metal bracket on the underside of a chrome luggage rack?

Will it affect the chrome finish on top of the rack?

The rack mounting bracket does not fit my bike, so I need to cut the bracket off, move it over 1-cm and weld it back on.

Yes and no.

Although physically possible, welding chrome is a bad idea. Besides the BAD chrome 6 fumes that you'll create, you'll probably severely heat discolor your other pretty chrome. And unless done correctly, maybe a poor quality weld.

If you HAVE to do it, I would have it done professionally with plenty of exhaust and probably grind down to parent metal first.

My 2 cents worth.

Larry
VFRrider

I would grind the chrome off of the entire weld area and still weld it with tons of ventilation.

Just JB weld it. You'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post makes me want to try it . I would guess a SS filler might be best :shrug: Send it to me and I will do it for free for you :clap:

Chrome has to come off as it isn't the most adhesive stuff anyways and is a very dissimilar metal so normal rod won't stick.
The chrome near the weld will blue but there are products that will remove the bluing.
I would recommend using 312 welding rod, it is made for welding dissimilar metals like regular steel to stainless and it is nickel and polishes up very nicely.
I keep some on hand for working on stainless, it makes a very pretty weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Grind off, weld, then re-chrome... Chrome is conductive but if you do not grind it off it'll contaminate the weld and at some point that contamination could cause the weld to fail, especially if you do not recoat it shortly afterwards.

I would think it could be welded without grinding. I would bet that the chrome would burn up while welding and it would hold for forever and a day then you could coat the whole thing with plasti dip :chug:

I would think it could be welded without grinding. I would bet that the chrome would burn up while welding and it would hold for forever and a day then you could coat the whole thing with plasti dip :chug:

Oh it can certainly be done, but I've only done it once and then I found out how potentially terrible it can be for you and now I flat out refuse to do it again. But yes, it is 100% technically possible.

I am going out to the shop to try and weld galvanized black iron to chrome plated black iron :eek2:

I'll be right back :lol2:

I am going out to the shop to try and weld galvanized black iron to chrome plated black iron :eek2:

I'll be right back :lol2:
But only after running a half mile to get the heart and lungs pumping away.:rofl:

This guy does it all the time.

75793-1258914624-0-l.jpg

did some digging and experts say you can weld to chrome just fine, the chromium and copper have a much lower melt temperature and just burn off.
the issue is as has been mentioned the toxicity of the copper vapor.

I had also forgot about a specialty tool I engineered but had welded up. a chromed wrench head and chromed socket adapter. I have placed better than 100 ft/lbs of torque to the weld on it and it is strong. I will take a picture of it today.

Here is a picture of two chromed items welded together.
6ehy4y9y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back