• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electric suits

Hi all...just wanted to thank everyone again for all the info on the electric suits and stuff. I went to the Dallas Scooter show today and found the Gerbings booth and got all the stuff. I ended up getting the jacket liner (to wear under a coat or whatever), the pants (to wear over your jeans or whatever), gloves and socks along with a dual controler. There was a sales lady there that helped me get into everything and we got it all set up. She suggested that I get the pants for outer wear...that way if things warm up, I can pull the heated pants off and just have the jeans...of long johns. She did strongly suggest that I do not wear any of the stuff next to the skin...have a T-shirt or jeans/long johns on with the only exception being the socks. By the way, she also told me that Gerbings was going to discontinue the socks and in early December, they are going to release a "footie" think...something like a Dr. Schoals foot pad, except it will be heated. Dont know the price, but the socks were $40.00. This place was from Washington State and they are going to ship the stuff to me which is fine. I should have it in about a week or so. The questions is...is it going to get cold enough here in Fort Worth to use it?? Again...thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

I only have the jacket liner and gloves, but I used them this morning. I'm sure I'll use them several more times between now and April so I consider them one of my better gear purchases. Long ago, I gave up on the concept of all purpose gear. Too much of a compromise and it didn't do anything particularly well. I now have specialized gear for specific circumstances and have been much happier.

The questions is...is it going to get cold enough here in Fort Worth to use it??

Now, if that isn't a good excuse to go ride somewhere where it gets cold to test them out... I don't know what is! :trust:

My serious answer is "yes" - it gets cold enough so that stuff will keep you comfortable...

Daytona bike week in 2001 I approached the Gerbing folks
about sponsoring me in some way in the coming up Iron Butt Rally.
Stated that I was currently using Widder gear. Ended up with two complete jackets and controllers for considerably less then one jacket Jacket . Came in handy on the cold nights crossing from Hyder to Montreal.

The questions is...is it going to get cold enough here in Fort Worth to use it?? Again...thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

The socks and pants will, imho, be overkill. Just talked to a lady from NY that has the pants and rarely uses them but loves her socks.

I just use the liners that came with my riding pants. If it warms up later in the day, they remove easy enough. My feet haven't ever needed the socks and, from what I've been told, the socks are great for riding but lousy for walking around in. ymmv

I'm curious... can you wear JUST the gloves? How do they wire? My body doesn't get very cold at all, but my hands really do, and I would like just the gloves.

The sales lady told me that I could wear everything hooked up or I can wear stuff by itself. She said that instead of connecting the gloves to the jacket liner sleeve plug-in...just go from the controler straight to the gloves or socks. She did tell me that the socks were alittle uncomfortable to walk in because of the wires, but if I wore some crew socks under the electric ones, it wasnt so much or a problem then. The inner sole foot warmer thingy that will go on sale in December might be a better way to go. It is like a Dr. Schoals thing...foot pad...whatever. I might get some of those too...dont know.

They have to ship the controler, socks and pants to me from Washington because they ran out of my size at the show...short and squatty...oh well...

coolio... or should I say "warmio"... I got the gloves. I'm not really keen on the wiring... I think it should be a bit longer. I guess it's the incentive to buy the stupid jacket liner. LOL

How much of a discount did they give you for the gerbings at the show... I am thinking about buying some heated jacket and gloves but am between gerbign or tour master which cost less.

Hi all...just wanted to thank everyone again for all the info on the electric suits and stuff. I went to the Dallas Scooter show today and found the Gerbings booth and got all the stuff. I ended up getting the jacket liner (to wear under a coat or whatever), the pants (to wear over your jeans or whatever), gloves and socks along with a dual controler. There was a sales lady there that helped me get into everything and we got it all set up. She suggested that I get the pants for outer wear...that way if things warm up, I can pull the heated pants off and just have the jeans...of long johns. She did strongly suggest that I do not wear any of the stuff next to the skin...have a T-shirt or jeans/long johns on with the only exception being the socks. By the way, she also told me that Gerbings was going to discontinue the socks and in early December, they are going to release a "footie" think...something like a Dr. Schoals foot pad, except it will be heated. Dont know the price, but the socks were $40.00. This place was from Washington State and they are going to ship the stuff to me which is fine. I should have it in about a week or so. The questions is...is it going to get cold enough here in Fort Worth to use it?? Again...thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.

How much of a discount did they give you for the gerbings at the show... I am thinking about buying some heated jacket and gloves but am between gerbign or tour master which cost less.

I dont know what kind of a discount I got at the show. I dont know what the normal retail is, but I got the jacket liner andgloves, and the pants to be worn on the outside...jacket liner on the inside and the dual controler. Ended up paying about $575.00 for all of it. I will say that is works great. Rode the bike this morning in the cold and I was warm and toasty. It doesnt take long toheat up and you can turn it up too much. I got it up too high and had to turn it down some. I would strongly recommend the Gerbings.

I'm curious... can you wear JUST the gloves? How do they wire? My body doesn't get very cold at all, but my hands really do, and I would like just the gloves.

FYI - The connecting wire I got with my gloves is too short for me to use only the gloves.

Yes...in the glove package there is an extra long wire that will run from the gloves to the controler. If you get the dual controler, you could plug the liner in one port and the gloves in the other and then be able to control both temperatures...gloves warmer then the liner or the liner not on at all.

Little help here guys. I am thinking about getting an electric riding suit or whatever they call it

Get a Gerbing or Widder electric vest and be done with it.

Everything else you touch on your '08 Wing has heat.

If you find out later your arms or legs freeze, expand.

But you live in Fort Worth, so I doubt it. :trust:

Bob :sun:

Get a Gerbing or Widder electric vest and be done with it.

Everything else you touch on your '08 Wing has heat.

If you find out later your arms or legs freeze, expand.

But you live in Fort Worth, so I doubt it. :trust:

Maybe you should saddle up and come on out here today. I left the house this morning at 6am with 24* showing on the temp gage. Radio confirmed the 24* temperature, but added a bonus...wind chill was 17*. I have no idea what the windchill is at 70 mph, but I was nice and warm...hands (electric gloves) on the hot grips, chest, arms and neck with the vest, legs were warm with the pants and the butt was warm with the seat heater. OOOoo...and the feets...they were warm with the socks. I think the temperature warranted a "full dress" this morning...but you might be right because it usually does not get that cold here.

Maybe you should saddle up and come on out here today. I left the house this morning at 6am with 24* showing on the temp gage.

:eek2: Ah, no thanks Paul. If I were to leave the house today, I'd be gunning straight south to Veracruz.

Legs were warm with the pants and the butt was warm with the seat heater. OOOoo...

:sun: The only seat heater I ever had was when I low-sided near Puerto Vallarta :rofl:

...but you might be right because it usually does not get that cold here.

:trust: I guess days like this make us appreciate the other 350 when the temparature is the envy of true northerners :chug:

I will turn towards the North-Northwest next week and hold a beer up and give you a cheer Bob. You will find me, the wife, kids, grandkids and a few friends at our place on Eagle Beach in Oranjestad, Aruba...suffering dearly in the swealtering 85*+ heat...oooooooooo the unhumanity of it all...cheers everybody...Merry Christmas or however you say it.

I bought a first gear jacket today. It was 25% off so I thought I would give it a try. But I think in the second pic the bike was trying to tell me something.

Attachments

• 14 degrees.jpg
    14 degrees.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 116
  • -- degrees.jpg
    -- degrees.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 108
Back