• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$2.77 D.I.Y. radiator guard

Reaction score
This is probably the cheapest and most simple mod I've seen, which can hopefully avoid the headache of an unfortunate and unplanned roadside stop...especially if you do group rides.
These measurements are Suzuki SV specific, but I am certain it can be modified to fit any size radiator.

Step 1. Drive to Home Depot and find a "gutter guard" which comes in 6"x36" sections for $2.77.
Step 2. For the SV, cut section to 19.5" and fold both ends 1.5".
Step 3. Remove aluminum side guards from both sides of radiator.
Step 4. Use said side guards to mark the bolt holes, and cut out accordingly.
Step 5. Place gutter guard on front of radiator and re-bolt side guards.
DONE! Ahhhh, the joys of owning a naked bike.:mrgreen:
If you are anal about the screen being bolted down on bare metal, you can use double sided automotive door stripping or electrical tape for protection.
And of course you can also flat black it prior to installation with Rustoleum for aesthetics if you so desire.
It took me longer to drive to and from Home Depot than it took me to install it on the bike..10-15 mins tops..including a mandatory beer break...union rules..;-)

Attachments

• tempimage (1).jpg
    tempimage (1).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 195
Day off project for the V! I think I'll make mine stand off a half inch or so though. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the post Drew. I was just thinking today about fashioning a guard for my 650. I'm doing my off-season trackbike mods and maintenance, and after seeing how many small impact points I can see on my fins today from just 800 miles of track time, I figured I'd rig something before a bigger object actually makes a hole.

You took care of the guesswork for me.

I like this. Not a fan of sheet steel with a bunch of holes, this let's through more air... I mean really, not using my radiator as a belly pan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the post Drew. I was just thinking today about fashioning a guard for my 650. I'm doing my off-season trackbike mods and maintenance, and after seeing how many small impact points I can see on my fins today from just 800 miles of track time, I figured I'd rig something before a bigger object actually makes a hole.

You took care of the guesswork for me.

Wow, another long lost soul!:wave:
This was the easiest/cheapest method I found on the interwebs..did not feel the need to spend $200 or more on a fancy-smancy billet bug and rock deflector.
The track bug has definetly got a hold of you! Wish I could scrounge up enough cash for a SV 650 beater for the track, maybe one day..
Give me a heads up when you plan to do another maintenance day at the house so we can hang for a bit.
Are you still riding with the Ten West Sport group, or tracking it only nowadays??

The Ten West folks seem to have spread out and everybody is busy lately. My only weekend riding has been on the track except for a trip to Arkansas in April and to New Orleans in October.

Right now I'm making some mods to the SV for next track season. I'll probably start doing them again in March. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I get ready to put new 4-piston calipers on the front. An extra set of hands will probably be helpful for those.

The Ten West folks seem to have spread out and everybody is busy lately. My only weekend riding has been on the track except for a trip to Arkansas in April and to New Orleans in October.

Right now I'm making some mods to the SV for next track season. I'll probably start doing them again in March. I'll let you know in a few weeks when I get ready to put new 4-piston calipers on the front. An extra set of hands will probably be helpful for those.

Sounds good..maybe I'll learn a thing or two!?

Back