• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HONDA XR650L OWNER'S SIGN IN

L doesn't have enough power to spin it :lol2:

I had half used one once on my R and didn't like it.

Last edited:
Thoughts on a Shinko 700?

I like the 700 and run it front and back on the DR, will handle Big Bend well. I also like the Michelin T63. The T63 is better in the mud, the 700 better on the tarmac. I have run both in NM, and Colo and the T63 gets a small advantage. I believe the T63 is being discontinued but there are some still out there. YMMV

Disclaimer: Given my track record you may want to disregard this post.

I used up a previously low mileage T63 when SB and I went to Tennessee last fall. I can't remember the total mileage, but it was around 2K almost all pavement So, that was probably 2.5k total before the rear had a well developed chick strip.

There is a set of K60s on the X right now, but it will be spring before I can put any miles on it.

I ordered a set of D606s front and rear for the trip to Big Bend.
But the Shinko on the rear of the bike still looks good as does the Mastercraft on the front.

I think I will take the D606s with me as a safety net.

Ok - great feedback.

So we've got:
Mitas E-09, T63, Dunlop D908RR and D606, Pirelli MT21 in the 80/20 to 90/10 range.

Then Kenda K270, Mitas E-07, Shinko 700, Heidenau K60 ?, Mefo Explorer, Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara, TKC80's, Kenda K784 Big Block the 50/50 range.

The D908RR for the rear does look like it might endure pretty long, but the front looks really fragile for pavement due to the huge lug gaps.

T63's appear only available in rears at the wrong size - so yes, perhaps it's being retired ("re tire d" - ha...)

D606's are starting to show for the value they are. I guess 3k miles and $200 a set isn't easy to beat.

Or - maybe I get the most aggressive looking from the 50/50 group for the rear, and stick with D606 up front. I loved the K60's on my Versys - just bested by TKC 70's (higher road %) - so maybe I'll get one of those for the rear and give it a shot. I think in the 130/80 18 size it won't have the continuous center band. Or the Kenda Big Block - dern cheap...

Like others, I've been round and round with tires (pun intended) on many forums. The T63 was a great tire, but didn't last long at all. For years now, I've run Pirelli MT21 on front, and Dunlop D606 on the back. Seems to be the best combination, with a nod toward dirt orientation, but do well on the street.

...I need more mileage out of my XRL tires. I've got D606's on, and the bike lives in Big Bend country. So, plenty of highway miles, then plenty of sand, gravel, rocks. I'm probably 3/4 done with my rear, and just over 2300 miles.

So, I'm willing to compromise a bit on off-road performance in exchange for pavement durability...

I'm quoting Jeff's request again here. 90% of the tires posted don't meet his desires.

The "best" and most common dual sport or dirt tires don't meet his desires.

Mileage on a tire doesn't come free. Pick your compromise.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I've gotten about 3 years out of my t63 and it has about half life yet. [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

So I'm fixing, changing, upgrading all kinds of things to the new to me XR.

While I have the tank off, might as well change the spark plug.

al4lVy.gif

No 18mm thin wall socket.

Back together ... runs great.

2009_XR650L_02-X2.jpg

2009_XR650L_04-X2.jpg

2009_XR650L_03-X2.jpg

15/48 tooth combo doesn't seem to change much.
Able to zip along at 65-70 and it didn't seem to be struggling or running out of breath at all.

Waiting on a 14T front ... should be here this week.

I aligned the chain using a motion pro alignment rod. There is 2 clicks difference between the snail adjusters. Seems like a lot ...

Chain a little tight? Get one of the fatties in the neighborhood to sit on it to check.

Last edited:
Must be the angle.
1 5/8" at the edge of the chain slider ...

hi every one
sorry I haven't chimed in
in a long time
I recently just got my bike carbs cleaned ect
and a good tune up
new battery starts up quick
new tires chain
I need money so I'm putting my 2007 XR-650-L
up for SALE :rider:
I'm asking $3000 or best offer
I have a lot good parts on it
plus all the new spare parts go with it
its been garage kept
sorry I don't have a current picture of it
its in HUFFMAN TX
please reply here or PM a message here
if you are interested
thanks

ILL check in to twtex for the next week or so
to see if anyone responds to this ok
I would like it to go to someone who will take good
care of it (my-BRP)

thanks again

HANCOCK

Back together ... runs great.

15/48 tooth combo doesn't seem to change much.
Able to zip along at 65-70 and it didn't seem to be struggling or running out of breath at all.

Waiting on a 14T front ... should be here this week.

I aligned the chain using a motion pro alignment rod. There is 2 clicks difference between the snail adjusters. Seems like a lot ...

14/48 is the same as 13/45 but a 13T is aftermarket and there are some folks that think non-Honda sprockets will damage the counter shaft. I have 2 rear wheels. One with 45T for cross country that I match with the 15T and one with 48T that I match with the 14T for single track. I like the options but over time I think I will eventually get rid of the second rear and just carry a 13T. If I ever go to Mexico again I'd go with the 45T and carry a 13T and 14T to swap out depending on the need. It only takes about 15 minutes to swap it out.

What all work did you do on your XRL?

Back